Things That Inspire You?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

Things That Inspire You?

Postby Retrology » December 7th, 2016, 1:13 am

We talk a lot about problems in our lives and little complaints we all have, but what about the stories that make us feel good inside?

I met with my neighbors today for an interview for my graphics design class, and their son has Down syndrome (the subject of my project). They mentioned how despite his condition and that doctors gave up on him, he's physically healthy and does a wide range of activities, such as skiing, tubing, bowling golfing, ice skating, reading, playing video games, and cooking. He even has his own job and has a lot of friends.

Hearing this touched me emotionally. It was heartwarming to see how someone affected with this condition could do so much and defy expectations. It's made me appreciate who I am, and that nearly anything is possible if you put your mind to it. It's also called to mind my experiences against the odds.

After I was born, doctors told me I wouldn't amount to anything. They told my parents I would be mute for the rest of my life (Truth was I had ADD and zoned out a lot, lol). I defied everyones odds and never gave up in school, getting high honors and graduating with a diploma. I nearly flunked out of college my sophomore year, but after my lowest semester, I worked my way back up, started over, and constantly made the Dean's list. I've enjoyed success in college ever since.

So with the Christmas season upon us, what things touch you deep down, are heartwarming, and inspire you to enjoy life, whether it's your or someone else's experience? Would like to hear your thoughts.

scotland

Re: Things That Inspire You?

Postby scotland » December 7th, 2016, 6:33 am

That was pretty inspirational right there.

Everyone has struggles, and its easy to lose perspective, or focus overly much on what you can't do. For instance, my best friend was in a wheel chair the last decade of his life. He was still the center of a huge social web, and travelled extensively, and was a great dad.

Brings to mind Richard Bach's quote "Argue for your limitations, and they are yours."

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » December 7th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Gary Johnson inspires me inside. Climbing the 7 summits, riding bikes for hundreds of miles at a time, a rock climber, and a Governor of New Mexico. And sadly, not president.

Still, he's a rather admirable man that inspires me to carry his flag.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 8th, 2016, 7:02 pm

Retrology wrote:It was heartwarming to see how someone affected with this condition could do so much and defy expectations.

I work specifically with kids with developmental disabilities. Frequently it's autism, but can be anything from simply slow development to CP to Down's. Also, as I've pointed out here before, my own son also has autism. As a result of that, me and my wife are on a number of support and advocacy boards (among other things). She works in the field as well. Anyway, the point is that we are up to our eyeballs in developmental disabilities.

And nearly every case you see something hugely inspiring. The kids consistently overcome obstacles that looked impossible. They frequently amaze even their families. Also, the parents (and frequently grandparents) almost always rise to the occasion, and then rise well, well above it. The number of parents I have seen go from devastated and crushed to outspoken advocate in short order is absurd. It feels like it should be impossible for this many people to be able to dig so deep. But they do. Over and over again.

My life is full of some really, really sad moments at work and in our volunteer work. But the incredible stuff usually wins out at the end of the day.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 9th, 2016, 6:52 pm

That is pretty nice to hear. As a guy with autism myself, sometimes its tempting to fall into this little ditch of depression, you know? I just have to keep reminding myself that there are people out there even worse off than me (my autism is relatively mild), so if they can do it, by God so can I!

Return to “Other Media”