NFL MVP?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

NFL MVP?

Postby Retrology » January 2nd, 2017, 3:55 pm

This has been a really weird year for the NFL, and unlike recent years, there really isn't a clear cut MVP candidate.

So...who wins?

I'd go Aaron Rodgers. I'm more of a film guy over stats guy, and Rodgers to me has been the best player in the league. Matt Ryan has had a great year, and I've always thought he's been a really good QB, but I felt a lot of his production this year came because of Kyle Shanahan's (Falcons offensive coordinator) play action design, using tight end throwbacks and screens, and he's gotten away with some bad throws.

Ezekiel Elliot would probably be the alternative. Everyone talks about the Cowboys offensive line, but Zeke is surprisingly doing a lot behind it. And he's been unbelievable.

Thoughts?

CharlieR

Re: NFL MVP?

Postby CharlieR » January 3rd, 2017, 12:28 pm

Ryan, Rodgers, and Zeke would be fine with me. To me, it comes down to who is the most valuable to their team. The cowboys without Zeke and the Falcons without Ryan would certainly be different, but think about the Packers without Rodgers. He was injured a few years ago, and the team was pretty unwatchable from what I remember. Also, during the middle of the season, the Packers were slumping, there was talk about him not getting along with the coach, and he brought them back to greatness.

Also, who would have thought my Dolphins would be in the playoffs after that start?

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » January 3rd, 2017, 2:19 pm

All three of those guys are deserving. Being a Falcons fan I of course am rooting for Ryan. He has put up cartoon numbers this season. Go Falcons!

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » January 5th, 2017, 4:17 am

Matty Ice deserves it. Insane performance from him this year.

Also, after years of heartbreak from the Falcons I'm hoping this is finally our year! We almost got to the Superbowl during the 2012 season and I think they are a much better team now then they were back then.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 8th, 2017, 11:46 am

Elliot has certainly been good but Darren McFadden ran for over 1000 yards behind that Cowboys O-line last year so I think he's getting quite a lot of help. The holes that line opens are ridiculous, and frankly I feel like the hole Cowboys O-line should get MVP. But since that isn't a thing I'd go with Ridgers.

MVP to me should be simple. You think about what the team would look like without that player. The Cowboys without Dak would probably be just fine with Romo in. Similarly, I think they'd be worse without Elliot but another RB could still be good behind that line. I agree that Matt Ryan has been helped a lot by good play calling. I think he is a good QB but he's no superstar. He's in the right system. I'm sure their play would drop off without him, but I think any serviceable QB would be fine in that system.

On the other hand, Green Bay would be abysmal without Rodgers. If Carr had stayed healthy there was a good argument for him too. It's clear from Oakland's last 2 games how much he meant to them.

But mainly, let's just not give it to Brady again. He didn't even play a full season.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » January 9th, 2017, 9:00 am

I was going to rant about Brady being in the MVP race, but it sounded childish and stupid. But, since Brady was mentioned here, here goes nothing...

You mentioned him not playing a full season, but I would vote against him for a different reason. Those other players are more valuable to their teams. Sure Brady is valuable, but unless they have a slow, black guy with a broken thumb at quarterback, the team is fine. The team hardly missed a beat when Jimmy Garappollo stepped in. The Patriots have a solid enough team to win 11 games even without brady. Kind of makes my blood boil when he gets mentioned.

Return to “Other Media”