BBC Sherlock: Moriarty?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

BBC Sherlock: Moriarty?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 4th, 2017, 7:26 pm

So, I finally got around to watching BBC's Sherlock on Netflix, and I find myself surprised. Not because of the twists each story throws at you (which are mostly great, btw) but because I distinctly remember everybody going crazy about a certain villain in the show, saying he was amazing and terrifying and simply the best part of the entire show. And then when I watched it, I didn't like him... at all. I'm talking about Jim Moriarty, Sherlock's greatest rival across all forms of media. Don't get me wrong, I definitely see what the writers were going for when they wrote his script. He's the psychopathic genius who just wants to cause mayhem for the sake of causing mayhem. You know who else matches that description? The Joker. And that's all I saw whenever Moriarty was onscreen: a normal guy doing a very bad Joker impersonation. His moodswings were too abrupt and random, and his playful attitude didn't carry the same kind of menace as Mr. Jay's. I much preferred Robert Downy Jr's version, who was obviously crazy, but much more collected. It took an insane amount of stress to make his psychoticness come out, while BBC's version was screaming and acting silly right out the gate. I dunno, I almost feel like all the hype surrounding BBC's Moriarty came because the actor has a pretty face, and all the fangirls got a crush on him and so convinced himself he was a talented as he was handsome, even though he really isn't.

Maybe I'm alone in this, though. Anyone else have some thoughts on the subject?

Return to “Other Media”