Good Computer?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Re: Good Computer?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 21st, 2017, 9:38 pm

ptdebate wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:That's strange. I would have figured a massive open world filled with thousands of players would be harder on the machine than a small (relatively speaking) map with only 100 people on it.

Harder on the CPU? Yes. But if you have the FX-6300 (which is what I understand from the link you provided), you're set for a 5 year old MMO. You can probably run FF14 at low settings as well.

PUBG will not run on this PC, and it's because of the GPU. I'm just trying to offer advice, which is what you asked for right? You need a better GPU to run that game. Fallout 4 will run, technically speaking, but at a framerate so low it will be nauseating to play. The minimum spec for that game is a 550 Ti. The card in this PC is about 3 tiers lower than that.

Ultimately, you're gonna find out when you get the machine home and start trying to run these games. I'm just trying to help you not waste money on games you can't run.

No I believe you. I just figured that PUBG, being what it Is, would be less taxing than an mmo.

David

Postby David » October 22nd, 2017, 1:29 am

One thing to add in addition to ptdebate’s advice: put a solid state drive in there as soon as you can once you get your GPU situation taken care of. It doesn’t have to be your main drive, since larger SSDs cost a decent smount still, but if you can swing a 120GB to put your OS on and maybe a few other programs you should do it. Other than upgrading your GPU it will be the biggest difference maker in your PC performance wise. I use my wife’s laptop every now and then and can’t stand how sluggish everything is on a 1TB hybrid drive.

Also, I’ve recently been playing Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds with a friend who up until recently had an i5 2500k not overclocked along with a GTX 550ti at 720p and 8GB of ram, had everything on very low settings and still had trouble getting the game to run smoothly. I just built a new PC with an i5 8400, 16Gb ram and a 1060 at 2560x1080 and have to run everything on low except the view distance, which I put on ultra, in order to get a mostly locked 60fps. Basically, Battlegrounds is a fairly intensive game that’s also in early access still. Good luck with the new PC!

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 22nd, 2017, 10:59 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
No I believe you. I just figured that PUBG, being what it Is, would be less taxing than an mmo.

Hey! I just realized something. I have an extra GTX 460 sitting around that I wouldn’t mind giving to you. Slap that in there and you’ll at least be able to play some of these games, possibly even PUBG, definitely Fallout 4 at low-ish settings. If you want it message me your address and I’ll send it to you, that way you’ll have something decent that will run games for you right now at no additional expense.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 29th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Did the PC come in yet?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 29th, 2017, 4:51 pm

It did! But now I've found out that this one can't connect to the internet wirelessly like my laptop did, and the cable jack in my computer room doesn't work. I set up an appointment for a Cox technician to come and fix it today, but I guess he decided he had better things to do because he never showed up. Uggghhhh frustrating!

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 24th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Hey! You haven't updated us on your computer setup. How is it?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 24th, 2018, 4:13 pm

It's pretty kinda okay. It definitely runs faster than my old laptop, but that's not saying much. I haven't put in the new video card yet because I haven't found anybody who can do it for me. I managed to get it connected to the internet by buying some kind of dongle that let it detect my wifi router. Only real downside is that it will randomly disconnect everything plugged into its usb ports, so my mouse, my keyboard, and my internet will all go out and I'll have to reboot it.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 24th, 2018, 4:34 pm

I bet you could handle installing the video card. It seems intimidating but it’s very easy. I bet you could even find a video of someone installing a card on your model pc on YouTube.

If you are having an issue with usb connections you might consider getting a PCI express WiFi card. It, similarly to the graphics card, will be installed inside the case.

I bought this one and it is working well.

TP-Link AC1300 WiFi PCI-Express Wireless Network Card (Archer T6E) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016K0896K?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

The only issue is it will disconnect after my pc has been asleep for a while (even though I set it not to disable in the driver properties). It just requires disabling and re-enabling the drivers when that happens and if it were a bigger deal I’d look into it more. I’m sure it’s a windows 10 problem.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 24th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Ouch...I don't have any hands-on familiarity with that brand so don't know what to suggest about the USB ports...maybe it's defective?

If you don't want to return it, maybe you could use a PS/2 adapter for your accessories and try to run a long Ethernet cable for the internet (you'll get a stronger connection that way anyway). That way you'd avoid using USB.

Edit: Another suggestion for Wifi would be Esauce's recommendation.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 24th, 2018, 4:40 pm

ESauce wrote:I bet you could handle installing the video card. It seems intimidating but it’s very easy. I bet you could even find a video of someone installing a card on your model pc on YouTube.

Agreed. I would actually classify it as less difficult than assembling a decent-sized Lego set.

Return to “Other Media”