Good Computer?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
noah98

Re: Good Computer?

Postby noah98 » October 1st, 2017, 10:00 am

If you are trying to save money, I have a radical suggestion that may work for you.

Alienware made Steam machines to compete with gaming consoles and they didn’t catch on. Right now they are really cheap on Amazon. You can get an i7 with 8 gigs of ram and an Nvidia graphics card for $470. They run on Steam OS (Linux), but you can easily buy and install Windows 10. Or, you could even install an older version of Windows like 7 or 8 if you have it already.

Disadvantages: The graphics card can’t be ugraded. Limited upgrades for processor.

Advantages: Cheap! Ram can easily be upgraded. Processor can be upgraded, but you probably won’t need more than an i7 for a long, long time. It’s easy to install an ssd or a bigger hard drive. It comes in a small, attractive case. It plays games remarkably well!

I have an older model Alienware Alpha i5. The only thing I upgraded was the hard drive (installed a 1 tb Samsung SSD). It is blazing fast and plays games better than expected. If you tweak your settings, you can get results that rival most console games. Most games can run 1080p, medium to high settings. I play Witcher 3, Mortal Kombat XL, Killer Instinct, Skyrim Special Edition, Dragon Age Inquisition, Rocket League, Rise of the Tomb Raider etc. at 60 fps 1080p. Also, tons of indie games and emulators. The Dolphin Wii emulator plays Gamecube and wii games in 1080p flawlessly.

Just an idea. I love mine! You could probably buy the system, an ssd hard drive, and Windows 10 and still hit your $600 price point if you shop around.

Return to “Other Media”