Question about Wonder Woman

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Question about Wonder Woman

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 14th, 2017, 10:39 pm

(*SPOILER WARNING*)

So, I I just watched Wonder Woman for the first time, and... I'm lost. Maybe you guys can help me out. They made it out the whole time that Ludendorf was Ares. They talk about the gas "restoring his powers", he can go toe to toe with Wonder Woman, and he rants about the god of war even though he's apparently never even met him. And for what? He's just a random evil German guy? Who/what was he?

ActRaiser

Re: Question about Wonder Woman

Postby ActRaiser » November 15th, 2017, 7:38 am

Wikpedia has you covered.

The team learns a gala will be held at the nearby German High Command. Steve and Diana separately infiltrate the party, with Steve intending to locate the gas and destroy it, while Diana intends to kill Ludendorff, believing that he is Ares and thus killing him will end the war. Steve stops her to avoid jeopardizing his mission, allowing Ludendorff to unleash the gas on Veld, killing its inhabitants. Blaming Steve for intervening, Diana pursues Ludendorff to a base where the gas is being loaded into a bomber aircraft bound for London. Diana fights and kills Ludendorff, but is confused when his death does not stop the war.

Sir Patrick appears and reveals himself as Ares. He tells Diana that although he has subtly given humans ideas and inspirations, using Ludendorff and Maru as pawns in the process, it is ultimately their decision to resort to violence as they are inherently corrupt. When Diana attempts to kill Ares with the "Godkiller" sword, he destroys it, then reveals Diana to be the "Godkiller", as the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta. He fails to persuade Diana to help him destroy mankind to restore paradise on Earth. While the two battle, Steve's team destroys Maru's laboratory. Steve hijacks and pilots the bomber carrying the gas to a safe altitude and detonates it, sacrificing himself in the process. Ares attempts to direct Diana's rage and grief at Steve's death by convincing her to kill Maru, but the memories of her experiences with Steve cause her to realize that humans have good within them. She spares Maru and redirects Ares' lightning into him, killing him. Later, the team celebrates the end of the war. In the present day, Diana sends an email to Bruce Wayne thanking him for the photographic plate of her and Steve, and reaffirms her new mission to fight and give on the world's behalf.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 15th, 2017, 8:55 am

Yeah, I know he was Ares' pawn, but that doesn't explain why or how the gas was "restoring his former powers." It made sense when we thought he was Ares, but then we fiknd out he isn't so what the hell is this guy?

OzGamer

Postby OzGamer » November 15th, 2017, 5:35 pm

Ludendorff was an actual German general from the First World War. His presence in Wonder Woman is a red herring, designed to fool the audience before Ares is finally revealed.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 15th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Again, I know this. But if he isn't the god of war, then why did the gas give him powers? Why was Dr. Poison going on about restoring his former strength? Some random evil German guy shouldn't have been able to go toe to toe with Diana. So... WHAT THE HELL WAS HE?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 15th, 2017, 9:00 pm

I should pop it in and watch it again but wasn't there some shape changing going on as well? Perhaps that was part of it.

Return to “Other Media”