Star wars the last jedi spoilers ahead.

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
GameOfThrones

Star wars the last jedi spoilers ahead.

Postby GameOfThrones » December 17th, 2017, 8:52 am

I went to see this and was not expecting much. The force A was a remake of the first movie, Rogue 1 was a lot better and I enjoyed watching it.
This one I wanted to like it but it was made my the guy who did Loopers. An interesting movie that was too long. So for me history repeats itself. An interesting movie that is too long.
I had heard a rumour that Ja Ja was going to be in it. Plot spoiler ahead
No Ja Ja. What were they thinking. I was so gutted. I know he would have been old but all the same.
They have a super dread nought. I preferred the death star.
No enough is made of the robots. C3pio is criminally underused.
The best thing about the movie was the soundtrack which just booms out. I love John Williams.
What does everyone else think?
Last edited by GameOfThrones on December 20th, 2017, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ptdebate

Re: Star wars the last jedi

Postby ptdebate » December 17th, 2017, 2:44 pm

It’s a brilliant movie, both challenging and divisive. It elevates Star Wars to a whole new level of narrative complexity (and self-awareness!).

A lot of fans have decried how different it is, which to me closeley mirrors the initial release of Empire. As the hype settles down and people start to use their brains to reflect on the movie, I believe TLJ is going to have the most massive influence on the direction of the property that any single movie has.

This is a remarkable fact considering that TLJ is a film where, in a very physical sense, little actually happens. Contrasting the forward momentum of TFA, TLJ is themed around overcoming personal challenges, sometimes failing and getting nowhere (but learning a great deal about yourself as a result). It was a bold move for a series that heretofore relied upon a very direct, classicist form of storytelling where every cause has a visceral and immediate effect.

In short, it is a contemplative take on genre, but also a wisecracking reflection on the phenomenon of Star Wars itself. It definitely rewards multiple viewings so don’t write it off if it didn’t fully catch your interest the first time. If you are weary of annualized Star Wars and the potential lack of innovation it threatened, TLJ is a welcome corrective.

Sut

Postby Sut » December 17th, 2017, 4:44 pm

I thought it was an excellent film and really enjoyed it.
How great was Mark Hamill by the way ? Excellent performance.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » December 17th, 2017, 5:57 pm

I saw a clip of Carrie Fisher flying through space powered by coke.

OzGamer

Postby OzGamer » December 17th, 2017, 8:12 pm

I've only seen 'The Last Jedi' once, but I enjoyed it, certainly more, than 'The Force Awakens' after seeing it for the first time. I don't want to go in to too much detail as I know people have not yet seen the film, but one aspect I didn't enjoy as much is the forced humour. I know the OT had humour in it, but it always felt incidental for me.

PTdebate, I like your observation that this is a more contemplative take. One of the criticisms of the film, that has left me scratching my head, is that it didn't tell a compelling story or was all the over the place. This I cannot understand.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » December 17th, 2017, 9:00 pm

A lot of people seem to really hate this movie, but I consider it to be at the very least an improvement over the overly derivative The Force Awakens. Ever since TFA came out, there's been tons of people defending the prequels, and I heavily disagree with most of them. Even if there are certain things the prequels do well, I still find myself far more emotionally invested in the new cast of the Disney trilogy than the cast of the prequels, even if The Force Awakens relied too much on copying the plot of A New Hope.

The Last Jedi certainly has flaws, but I find it to be a refreshing change of pace and the best Star Wars movie I've seen in a long time.

FusekiGames

Postby FusekiGames » December 17th, 2017, 10:37 pm

I liked it. It was a different arc than what many were expecting, so there's a lot of negativity going around about it. Personally, I expected the negativity, as whining has become par for the course these days, and it cannot be avoided without just shutting everything down and sitting in a dark room. I thought the movie and its storyline was interesting, and the exciting moments were pretty damn cool.

Sut

Postby Sut » December 18th, 2017, 3:18 am

Regarding the negativity I think some people mistakenly believe it makes them look ‘cool’ or ‘intellectual’ when they kick against something popular.
When the critics are giving a blockbuster sci-fi rave reviews you know they’ve done something right.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 19th, 2017, 7:16 pm

I liked it in general, but a few things bothered me. One was the flying Leia, and the other was what happens to Luke at the end of the film. Are we allowed spoilers in this thread?

OzGamer

Postby OzGamer » December 19th, 2017, 7:39 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I liked it in general, but a few things bothered me. One was the flying Leia, and the other was what happens to Luke at the end of the film. Are we allowed spoilers in this thread?

Regarding the Leia scene you are referring to, I just assumed Leia was force-sensitive. I was trying to avoid spoilers in case people haven't seen it yet. Maybe allow spoilers, but edit the page name to include a warning, if possible.

Return to “Other Media”