Recommend some anime!

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
ptdebate

Re: Recommend some anime!

Postby ptdebate » January 22nd, 2018, 7:24 pm

I guess I should be clearer about what I meant. The artwork is clearly hand-drawn, which is not as often the case in American animation. The actual process of animating is very computer-assisted, but that does not take away from appreciation of the drawings. I guess it's easy to fall into the mindset that the existence of a computerized process precludes the existence of high-quality hand-drawn components.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 22nd, 2018, 8:35 pm

velcrozombie wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:Bayonetta: Bloody Fate based on the first Bayonetta game.

Apart from one very cringe-y bit of fan-service, the Bayonetta movie was solid enough. It reminded me a bit of the work of Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Demon City Shinjuku, Wicked City, Ninja Scroll).

I recommended that Anime to Dave because Dave the Video Game Critic knows about the Bayonetta series, and was related with what he was looking for Anime based on Video Games.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » January 22nd, 2018, 9:59 pm

This is technically a game, but it's gotten a ton of attention lately, is heavily anime-inspired, and deconstructs a lot of anime tropes, so I can't resist recommending Doki Doki Literature Club.

For those of you unaware of it, it's a free visual novel game available on PC. For the first two hours, it appears to be cutesy and innocent, but I highly recommend you stick with it, because after a certain very shocking event that I won't give away the details of, it suddenly goes off the rails entirely and becomes one of the most psychologically scary experiences I've ever had while playing a game. Since Google's search suggestions have a very bad habit of giving out spoilers, I highly recommend NOT looking up anything about it until you've played through it first and just downloading it from this link (or alternatively Steam): https://ddlc.moe/

The cutesiness definitely isn't going to last, trust me.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » January 23rd, 2018, 12:03 am

Sonicx9 wrote:
velcrozombie wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:Bayonetta: Bloody Fate based on the first Bayonetta game.

Apart from one very cringe-y bit of fan-service, the Bayonetta movie was solid enough. It reminded me a bit of the work of Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Demon City Shinjuku, Wicked City, Ninja Scroll).

I recommended that Anime to Dave because Dave the Video Game Critic knows about the Bayonetta series, and was related with what he was looking for Anime based on Video Games.

I know why you recommended - I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't have. It's a decent anime and is fairly representative of the game and its characters - one crappy scene doesn't ruin it.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 23rd, 2018, 10:07 am

scotland wrote:I guess I misunderstood. When I read "traditional hand-drawn animation" I was thinking classic animation cells. I was wondering how in the world that would be viable today. Companies like Filmation always found ways to do it cheaply, and I'm sure computers could help by producing the intermediate cells or partial cells.

It seems like its not cell animation at all - its scanned drawings, that are then animated through the computer.

I also cleaned up my typo. Sorry for that.

I miss real cell animation too. Oh, don't get me wrong; computers are not bad. Both traditional and modern methods can look good. But with art you must consider not only the end result, but also the methods used to create that result. A fresco and an oil painting can look equally good, but they're still different.

It's still possible for an individual artist, or group of artists, to keep the cells alive. It would be a ton of work tho, and I doubt there would be any monetary profit in it.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 23rd, 2018, 10:28 am

pacman000 wrote:
scotland wrote:I guess I misunderstood. When I read "traditional hand-drawn animation" I was thinking classic animation cells. I was wondering how in the world that would be viable today. Companies like Filmation always found ways to do it cheaply, and I'm sure computers could help by producing the intermediate cells or partial cells.

It seems like its not cell animation at all - its scanned drawings, that are then animated through the computer.

I also cleaned up my typo. Sorry for that.

I miss real cell animation too. Oh, don't get me wrong; computers are not bad. Both traditional and modern methods can look good. But with art you must consider not only the end result, but also the methods used to create that result. A fresco and an oil painting can look equally good, but they're still different.

It's still possible for an individual artist, or group of artists, to keep the cells alive. It would be a ton of work tho, and I doubt there would be any monetary profit in it.

I'm reminded though of Wallace and Gromit claymation. That's all done the old fashioned way, isn't it? Would drawing cells, especially if you outsource intermediate cells, - would it be so expensive as to not be viable? Think of how much is spent on voice acting, advertising, etc. If the story was great, could it work.

Wall-E is a great Pixar film, but I think Wall-E might have been a great cell animation film too.

At some point, you're right. There was a time when people hired professional calligraphers for things like wedding invitations, but now just use their laser printer. They both looked fine, but one is just mass produced laser printing, and the other hand drawn unique calligraphy.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 23rd, 2018, 1:16 pm

Ardman still makes stop mot6ion, yes, tho he has done some CG work (Flushed Away,) and his more recent stop-mo films have used some CG FX.

As far as I know hand-drawn computer animation is less expensive than 3D CGI. Not sure how much more it would cost to do it drawn animation with cells. Animation cells give the animators, inkers, painters, et al, a much smaller margin of error. Here's a good write up on the differences by Mike Jittlov, of The Wizard of Speed and Time: http://www.dtvgroup.com/Jittlov/

The bit about Wallace and Gromit reminds me, has there ever been a stop motion anime? I know Rankin and Bass' holiday specials were animated in Japan. The folks they hired must've done something to convince them they were right for the job. But what?

Return to “Other Media”