Recommend some anime!

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Recommend some anime!

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 17th, 2018, 11:24 pm

I'm probably the world's pickiest anime fan. When I like an anime, I freaking love it. When I don't, I hate it. Problem is, I hate waaay more of them than I like. Got any good ones to recommend? For the record, I prefer to watch with an English dub instead of having to constantly look up and down to read subtitles.

Animes I like:
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (absolute favorite, love unconditionally!)
- D. Gray Man (Just started this, but I like it so far)
- Blue Exorcist (kinda meh, but it kept my attention)
- My Hero Academia (I like it so far, hoping Deku gets less annoying)

Ones I don't like:
- Naruto (cuz Naruto)
- Bleach (tries to be edgy, just feels angsty)
- Tokyo Ghoul (same as Bleach, only mature because you could paint a house red after getting a papercut)
- Sword Art Online (UGH! So much potential wasted by terrible writing!)
- Fairytail (tries to jump between being silly and serious too much, jarring and annoying)

Ones I don't like but can admit they're good:
- Attack on Titan (couldn't get into it, no idea why)
- Deathnote (just not a fan of murder mysteries, even with a supernatural twist)

GameOfThrones

Re: Recommend some anime!

Postby GameOfThrones » January 18th, 2018, 12:12 am

Ghost in the Shell.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » January 18th, 2018, 12:57 am

It's very possible you've already seen these considering how famous they are, but Cowboy Bebop is one of the few anime I've seen where I prefer the dub and in fact can't imagine it any other way, and Studio Ghibli's movies are typically stellar. It helps that both of these don't really give off a weeaboo vibe at all and hold appeal even for people who don't normally watch anime.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » January 18th, 2018, 1:51 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:For the record, I prefer to watch with an English dub instead of having to constantly look up and down to read subtitles.

This is a vile perversion, but I will indulge it in recommending the previously mentioned Cowboy Bebop and Welcome to the NHK (which couldn't be more different!), both of whose English dubs are considered by the series' creators to be the definitive voice acting.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 18th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Anyone ever seen Psycho Pass? I've gotten a few recommendations for that.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 18th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Honestly, I was able to enjoy the heck out of Sword Art while at the same time realizing it was bad.

My favorite anime are older ones because I don't watch many new shows these days (nothing against them though so I'm open to recommendations)

My all-time favorite is the original Neon Genesis Evangelion - especially the final movie titled End of Evangelion. This series is hilarious, moving, and COMPLETELY insane. More insane than I can even fathom. This is one series where I recommend the subbed version over the dub. The English version is bad.

My second favorite is .Hack//Sign. It's the concept that Sword Art is based on, but does the same thing way, way better. The music is incredible. The English version is okay from what I remember.

A recent movie I saw is the long forgotten Only Yesterday, a masterpiece by Isao Takahata (probably my favorite anime director). He is also known for the sublimely heartbreaking Grave of the Fireflies.

Spirited Away is my favorite Miyazaki movie by far.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 18th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Stalvern wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:For the record, I prefer to watch with an English dub instead of having to constantly look up and down to read subtitles.

This is a vile perversion, but I will indulge it in recommending the previously mentioned Cowboy Bebop and Welcome to the NHK (which couldn't be more different!), both of whose English dubs are considered by the series' creators to be the definitive voice acting.

I'm okay with the English if it's good. Basically my rule is that I go for whichever one has better acting.

As I mention in my other post, Evangelion is a great example of a series where I find the English version intolerable.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » January 18th, 2018, 6:32 pm

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/atta ... cta_button

Humble bumble has some anime comic of the pdf kind. You could get them, read the and see what you liked. They are drm free.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » January 18th, 2018, 8:20 pm

I didn't recommend One Punch Man earlier because I know that you already know about it, but I'm going to recommend it now because it's great regardless and has a good dub.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 19th, 2018, 8:57 am

I'm so out of touch of everything...

But as no one has said it yet, Robotech.

It's great.

For an American show that replicates WWII in space with permadeaths happening, EXO Squad, the series is awesome. The first season was officially released on DVD. It only had 2 seasons. The second season I was able to order off of someone by searching Google. I think someone took all the originally broadcasted episodes and ripped them to DVD. The quality is still really good for being a bootleg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exosquad

I'm not so sure it falls into the anime category but I loved it.

Return to “Other Media”