New Tomb Raider Movie!

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Tomb Raider Movie!

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 22nd, 2018, 9:32 pm

So I was watching the football playoffs and surprised to see a new Tomb Raider movie is coming out! I always liked the ones with Angelina Jolie so I'm pretty psyched about this. The girl doesn't look much like Lara Croft but maybe she'll grow on me.

Also I saw a giant monster movie called Rampage, and it occurred to me this is vaguely based after the old arcade game Rampage! Such a strange choice for a movie adaptation.

Any others I should be aware of??

eneuman96

Re: New Tomb Raider Movie!

Postby eneuman96 » January 22nd, 2018, 10:01 pm

Rampage baffles me. There are about a thousand games that are more deserving of a movie adaptation, and yet they picked a relatively forgotten arcade game that barely even had anything resembling a plot?

Also, it's releasing on April 20th (incidentally the same day as Nintendo Labo), so make of that what you will.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 22nd, 2018, 10:20 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I was watching the football playoffs and surprised to see a new Tomb Raider movie is coming out! I always liked the ones with Angelina Jolie so I'm pretty psyched about this. The girl doesn't look much like Lara Croft but maybe she'll grow on me.

Also I saw a giant monster movie called Rampage, and it occurred to me this is vaguely based after the old arcade game Rampage! Such a strange choice for a movie adaptation.

Any others I should be aware of??

The reason the girl doesn't look much like Lara Croft is because it based on the 2013 series (Tomb Raider 2013, Rise of the Tomb Raider) the Angelina Jolie movies where based on the the original series from 1996 to 2003 (Tomb Raider 1996 to Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness) so that is why she does not look like the one from the older movies.

Also worth mentioning is because it based on the 2013 series, it is very possible the upcoming movie would be rated R as the 2013 series is a hard M series compared to the older games/series/side story spin-offs from the older series which where mostly T rated save for some of the handheld games for the Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance/Mobile getting E or E10+ because of the toned down violence. The same for the Angelina Jolie movies which where PG-13 to match the mostly T rated games from the original series from 1996 to 2003 save for the Game Boy Color side games. And mind you critic, the 2013 series did introduced the more gruesome/gory violence and F-Bombs which where nowhere to be seen in prior games/series for the franchise at the time period. And when you did review Rise of the Tomb Raider you did complain about the unnecessary gruesome/gory violence and F-Bombs in that review which was one of the 3 things that lower the games score, the other two being the bugs/glitches and bad crafting, but strangely for the 2013 game with the same content/M Rating as Rise of the Tomb Raider did not complain about the gruesome/gory violence and F-Bombs like Rise of the Tomb Raider review. And you did once say that the M ratings of the recent games hurt the potential sales which has some truth even though it was not the only thing as other factors did not help maters either. But the MPAA will make or break the movie because if it is hard R like the recent games, this movie has a fighting chance to be successful video game movie, but if it is PG-13/toned down this could hurt the movie even though this is one thing the critic would not mind. Because one of the things that hurt the 2016 Assassin's Creed live action movie was making it PG-13 as the game series was mostly hard M which you think would go hard R but instead went PG-13 and that ruined the movie big time!

OzGamer

Postby OzGamer » January 23rd, 2018, 12:21 am

Sonicx9 wrote:The reason the girl doesn't look much like Lara Croft is because it based on the 2013 series (Tomb Raider 2013, Rise of the Tomb Raider) the Angelina Jolie movies where based on the the original series from 1996 to 2003 (Tomb Raider 1996 to Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness) so that is why she does not look like the one from the older movies.

Alicia Vikander doesn't bear any resemblance, in my opinion, to Lara Croft as she appears in the rebooted Tomb Raider games.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 23rd, 2018, 5:46 am

I did see Rampage toys in WalMart. Some are like GI Joe scale toys, but another set revived the old Stretch Armstrong idea of larger stretchanle monsters. In addition, they have electronuc sounds. I always enjoy seeing video game toys.

Rampage sounds like just a fun CGI popcorn fest, like an old Godzilla versus Ghidrah kind of movie.

By the way, Warner bougt Midway's assets a few years ago, and already owned Rampage. If it works, Midway has a host of titles to mine, from Robotron 2084 to Defender, Joust, Spy Hunter, Wizard of Wor to Tapper.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 23rd, 2018, 7:14 am

I hope tomb raider is PG13. My daughter (12) would enjoy it, but I can’t let her watch it if it’s rated R.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 23rd, 2018, 2:35 pm

Voor wrote:I hope tomb raider is PG13. My daughter (12) would enjoy it, but I can’t let her watch it if it’s rated R.

We can not say if the new Tomb Raider 2018 movie is PG-13 or R. But some have speculated it would be hard R because of the recent games from the 2013 series are hard M with gruesome/gory violence and F-Bombs. Or they may tone it down similar to the 2016 Assassin's Creed live action movie as that was a huge mistake as it should have been hard R like the hard M rated games.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 23rd, 2018, 7:43 pm

I bet you’re right about the rating, unfortunately.

Am I the only one baffled by all the M rated games? I just don’t think they add any real value to the games and if anything, it alienates some gamers who otherwise would check them out playing them.

And don’t get me started on clueless parents who buy M rated stuff for their kids.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 24th, 2018, 1:59 am

Voor wrote:I bet you’re right about the rating, unfortunately.

Am I the only one baffled by all the M rated games? I just don’t think they add any real value to the games and if anything, it alienates some gamers who otherwise would check them out playing them.

And don’t get me started on clueless parents who buy M rated stuff for their kids.

You have a good point about M rated games, and for franchises like Tomb Raider that used to be a primarily T rated series pre the 2013 series. Was made for a mainstream audience in mind. But making it M rated was not the best move as it not only hurt sales, but also alienate many that where hoping a fun Uncharted/Indiana Jones/Old School Tomb Raider pre-2013 like experience for something like that, but made it all hard M with gruesome/gory violence and F-Bombs which was unnecessary for the franchise. This is Tomb Raider and not South Park!

And I do agree it is annoying that clueless parents who buy M rated stuff for their kids, Call of Duty anyone?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 1st, 2018, 8:38 pm

Voor wrote:I bet you’re right about the rating, unfortunately.

Official update: The 2018 Tomb Raider movie will not be rated R and will be rated PG-13 after all!: http://collider.com/isle-of-dogs-red-sp ... nihilation

This is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you ask. It a good thing for you, I, and the critic/others that where turned off by the hard M gruesome/gory violence and F-Bombs. Or bad for the fans of the recent 2013 series games because the moment you tone down content to make PG-13 from stuff made for hard R in mind such as the 2016 Assassin's Creed, the 2017 Ghost in the Shell movie to make for the mainstream audience, your adaptation is doomed to fail! Agree/Disagree, thoughts?

Return to “Other Media”