New Tomb Raider Movie!

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Sonicx9

Re: New Tomb Raider Movie!

Postby Sonicx9 » March 18th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Stalvern wrote:Yes to both questions.

For the T rated Tomb Raider pre-2013 series then, which ones the 1996-2003 Core Design era or the 2006 to 2008 Crystal Dynamics trilogy, or both?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 18th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:For the T rated Tomb Raider pre-2013 series then, which ones the 1996-2003 Core Design era or the 2006 to 2008 Crystal Dynamics trilogy, or both?

I like the first two PlayStation games and Underworld most; Tomb Raider II is probably my favorite. I haven't played the new ones, but after watching plenty of gameplay footage of both, I'm not interested - I see too much Uncharted and Assassin's Creed in them for my tastes. I also have little patience for "crafting" in any game. I'm sure that they're well-made and fully deserve the love they get from people who do like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed (I'm not convinced that anyone actually likes crafting), but they aren't my thing.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 18th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:For the T rated Tomb Raider pre-2013 series then, which ones the 1996-2003 Core Design era or the 2006 to 2008 Crystal Dynamics trilogy, or both?

I like the first two PlayStation games and Underworld most; Tomb Raider II is probably my favorite. I haven't played the new ones, but after watching plenty of gameplay footage of both, I'm not interested - I see too much Uncharted and Assassin's Creed in them for my tastes. I also have little patience for "crafting" in any game. I'm sure that they're well-made and fully deserve the love they get from people who do like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed (I'm not convinced that anyone actually likes crafting), but they aren't my thing.

I am sure you do not like either Uncharted and Assassin's Creed then?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 18th, 2018, 11:56 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:I am sure you do not like either Uncharted and Assassin's Creed then?

I worded that wrong. I don't like Assassin's Creed much at all, but Uncharted is fun. It's fun in ways that are the opposite of Tomb Raider's most engaging principles, though, despite the series' similarities. Uncharted is all about big, flashy scenes like collapsing buildings or trains hanging off cliffs, and the game makes sure that you can get from one to the next as fast as possible - it's always obvious where you have to go next, there's more running and shooting than climbing, and when you do climb, there's absolutely zero doubt that you're going to make the next jump or reach the next ledge. It's visually exciting but undemanding under the surface. Tomb Raider at its best is about danger and uncertainty, and Uncharted's approach to movement has neither of those things. Come to think of it, the last-generation Tomb Raider games didn't really have them either, and I probably shouldn't have credited Uncharted for inspiring elements that the series has had since Legend (if anything, it was that game that originally inspired Drake's Fortune), but Underworld at least makes you climb and jump constantly to compensate for how easy those things fundamentally are. (It also helps that the animation makes Lara look like she's pulling off something really hard every time she makes a jump.) To be completely honest, Underworld isn't really my idea of a great Tomb Raider game itself, but since I prefer its inviting (and gorgeous) easiness to Tomb Raider III's relentless frustration (there's a game that I respect more than enjoy), I felt that a mention was warranted.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » March 19th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Has anyone seen the movie yet?

From the reviews I can't discern whether or not this is worth watching as a mindless action flick.

That being said, with releases like Black Panther we are seeing that fun action movies can be artful too.

Not sure if there's a place these days for trashy entertainment unless it's in "so bad it's good" territory which, from what I am reading, Tomb Raider is not.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 12th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Update: The recently released RAMPAGE 2018 movie is not great, but strangely is said to be a better movie then Tomb Raider 2018!: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rampage_2018/

This makes no sense a Movie based on a video game with a deep story and lore like Tomb Raider based on the 2013 series is ideal for a big budget movie. Yet a Movie based on an Arcade series with little to no plot gets better. And like the nerd would say what where they thinking!

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 12th, 2018, 11:13 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Update: The recently released RAMPAGE 2018 movie is not great, but strangely is said to be a better movie then Tomb Raider 2018!: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rampage_2018/

Not necessarily. Setting aside that there will be many more reviews after it's released tomorrow, while Rampage has a higher Tomatometer score at the moment (the percentage of critics who rated it above 6/10), it has a lower average rating (5.3 versus 5.4). The Tomatometer is a very specific metric that rarely tells the whole story.
Last edited by Stalvern on April 13th, 2018, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 13th, 2018, 6:46 am

Two words: Duane Johnson.

That dudes movies make lots of money, and he’s a great actor. IGN said that Rampage is indeed super dumb, but just entertaining enough to make you not hate it. Lol.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 13th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Voor wrote:Two words: Duane Johnson.

That dudes movies make lots of money, and he’s a great actor. IGN said that Rampage is indeed super dumb, but just entertaining enough to make you not hate it. Lol.

Reminds me of the infamous Ghostbusters 2016 movie getting positive review for it feminist gimik!

Return to “Other Media”