Nascar?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Nascar?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 22nd, 2018, 10:20 pm

I've pretty much always hated sports. I'm the weirdo at work and school who, when everyone else wants to talk about football or basketball, I never have anything to say because I just don't care. A couple months ago, though, my uncle came to visit my parents house, and when I sat down to visit him he was watching Nascar. I know Nascar is supposedly the drunk redneck sport, but there was something about a straightforward car race that I actually ended up enjoying. I don't know if I like it enough to make the effort to follow it, but I could definitely see myself settling in with some snacks to watch a race now and then. Anybody else like Nascar? Or some other brand of car racing?

Atariboy

Re: Nascar?

Postby Atariboy » January 22nd, 2018, 11:25 pm

I can't attest to how it is in NASCAR's ancestral home in the American southeast and such, but I've been to many NASCAR Cup races at all the tracks on the circuit in the Northeastern US and have seen very few drunk rednecks. The crowd at Watkins Glen International in the Finger Lakes region is especially great each August. Nice, friendly, and very much non-redneck.

The race last August for example had a very friendly and attractive young lady that was maybe 18 years old that was there alone and sat in front of me and chatted all day. And I remember a nice looking young married couple that sat nearby with a little boy that quietly played with his Matchbox cars all race and a younger sister that napped during most of it next to her mom, with her mother's hat on top of her face to block out the sun.

Those are the types of racefans that you're likely to find in the Northeast. The only annoyances I ever have are those that spend more time coming and going than they do sitting to watch the race. It's irritating to be bounced around all day in aluminum grandstands from the vibration from the stream of people moving about, or seeing the type that thinks 10 laps to go is when you're supposed to pack up and leave.

The latter behavior is especially foolish at the Glen since there's no long waits to leave after the checkered flag. The only access is a rural two lane highway with no shoulders, yet the state police manage to clear the 90.000 fans out in about 20 minutes each year. I don't know how they pull that off, but it's one reason I'm sure why the Glen is the last race on the calendar that's still a sell-out each year and is adding capacity rather than eliminating it.

Return to “Other Media”