Superhero shows on Hulu?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Superhero shows on Hulu?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 29th, 2018, 8:31 pm

I just finished my latest book, and now I want to work on something brand new: a superhero story. I'll need something to watch for inspiration. My Netflix subscription ran out, but I still have a Hulu account. Anyone know any good superhero shows on Hulu?

scotland

Re: Superhero shows on Hulu?

Postby scotland » January 29th, 2018, 9:06 pm

I might say go a different route. Libraries will have graphic novels you can try. Imdependents (not Dc, not Marvel) will often push envelopes mkre, but may have less capable artists and writers. There are also a number of actual books too a library may have.

Also, think outside the cape and cowl set. The Shadow radio show, the Dick Tracy comic strip, Doc Savage or Tarzan novels, etc

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 30th, 2018, 4:52 pm

scotland wrote:Also, think outside the cape and cowl set. The Shadow radio show, the Dick Tracy comic strip, Doc Savage or Tarzan novels, etc
Indeed. Knowing where the genre came from is a good idea.

Besides, Edgar Rice Burroughs is cool. :)

scotland

Postby scotland » January 30th, 2018, 4:58 pm

pacman000 wrote:
scotland wrote:Also, think outside the cape and cowl set. The Shadow radio show, the Dick Tracy comic strip, Doc Savage or Tarzan novels, etc
Indeed. Knowing where the genre came from is a good idea.

Besides, Edgar Rice Burroughs is cool. :)

ERB gets some bad press these days, for not being PC. Its kinda hard to keep up with the changing social norms 100 years in advance.

If you have a way to read ebooks, you can get the entire Tarzan series for a buck. Same is probably true of Pellucidar, and the Mars books. There is a lot of superheroics there.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 30th, 2018, 5:06 pm

I'm looking for more traditional superhero stuff. That's what I'm trying to write, but with my own twist to it.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 30th, 2018, 5:14 pm

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search ... =burroughs

Project Gutenberg has a decent-looking collection of Burroughs' work, for free even. (Copyrights expired in the U.S. "Tarzan" is still a trademark tho, so you can't publish your own Tarzan story w/o permission.)

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 30th, 2018, 5:35 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I'm looking for more traditional superhero stuff. That's what I'm trying to write, but with my own twist to it.
Problem: What is a traditional super hero? It's a really diverse genre...

Perhaps: "Super-Powered Good Guys in a Current-Day Setting?" as opposed to "Super-Powered Good Guys in Another Era?"

scotland

Postby scotland » January 30th, 2018, 5:48 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I'm looking for more traditional superhero stuff. That's what I'm trying to write, but with my own twist to it.

Traditional? I am not sure what they means. Here is a rough breakout for comics:

The early stuff to about the mid 50s is the Golden Age. Its a big mix there, from silly stuff with talking animals and funny high school antics, to lots of superheroes in spandex, to bondage heavy Wonder Woman, to horror comics of pierced eyeballs and war comics of GIs turning flamethrowers on enemy soldiers. Everyone reads comics.

The Comics Code comes in the mid 50s, and declares Comics are for Kids. TV also takes a big bite out of comics.

The late 50s has a lot of science fiction, western, war, tv adaptations, etc but few superheroes. The few that are around are quite silly. Think of the Adam West Batman tv show silly. Comics are for kids, and stories are basically recycled.

The 60s is mostly the Silver Age, containing mostly goofy DC superhero stories, but fairly sophisticated Marvel superhero stories. Think Superfriends, Space Ghost, very traditional square jawed for DC, but not for Marvel. Marvel is experimenting all over during the 60s, and has never been so creative since. College age kids find Marvel comics.

The 70s is mostly the Bronze Age, where the Comics Code was relaxed. DC gets more sophisticated, characters like Gwen Stacy die, you get some minority characters, etc. The marketplace experiments with lots of genres, but superheros dominate

The early 80s continues this trend, but with generally better art and stories. Comics move into specialty stores, and the audience gets even older. Superheroes seriously dominate, but many stories are deconstructions. Comics get rating systems, such as M for Mature.

The mid 80s marks a shift toward seriousness, so you get a lot more violence. Some great stories come from here, but its also the beginning of a period of stagnation as those stories define comics for a time.

The 90s takes a lot to artistic extremes, but a low point in storytelling. Many creators go off on their own, to mixed success.

The 2000s begins a revitalizsation of comics. More smaller companies seem to find a good niche, and telling different tales. Now comics like The Walking Dead are some of the biggest sellers. More women, more minorities, etc. The comics code is not really much of a thing anymore. There are comics that are very definitely not for kids.

So, not sure what you think 'traditional' is. Is traditional the Fleischer Superman from the 40s, or Batman The Animated Series from the 90s, or Superfriends from the 70s, or Space Ghost from the 60s, or Young Justice from a few years ago or what? Watchmen was 30+ years ago, but its not traditional, although the Incredibles, which draws heavily on Watchmen, might be considered traditional since its so approachable.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 30th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Even if we restrict ourselves to Superman cash-ins, that leaves a lot of room. Early super heroes were a diverse lot. They include:

A Biblical character's distant descendant: http://www.toonopedia.com/samson.htm (Fox Comics, no relation to the film company, had been sued by Action Comics for another hero, too similar to Super Man. Fox probably thought: You can't sue us this time! He already existed!)

A regular detective, who just happens to wear a mask: http://www.toonopedia.com/spirit.htm (It's probably wrong to call Will Eisner's work a mere cash-in.)

A reformed criminal who can streeeeetch his body and re-shape his face, with his sicde kick, the Luckiest Man Alive: http://www.toonopedia.com/plas.htm (A funny and popular series.)

A boy, who could transform himself into someone who's "not" Super Man (nor Shazam, for that matter): http://www.toonopedia.com/capmarv1.htm (Also popular.)

A giant, disembodied, eye ball: http://www.toonopedia.com/eyesees.htm (Yes.)

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 30th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Awesome write up scotland!

If you want inspiration maybe consider reading some of the best?

In the last few years I've gotten back into comics after they went up to $1.50 an issue. Hey, I was a kid and needed to watch how I spent my money. Fast forward to today where you can get an entire collection for under a $100 in a hardbound edition.

cheapgraphicnovels.com

Is where I go. There are others but the prices tend to be better than on Amazon.

For digital comics consider getting an Amazon Fire 10" tablet. I was using a 7" and really love the bigger screen. They run sales constantly on Marvel comics. Rarely on DC and almost never on some of the others. Get the Comixology app. It's a goldmine.

For really great omnibis or collections look at the following:
Sandman - not a traditional story at all but super awesome
Watchman - more of a traditional super hero story although much more mature and darker with a very sweet story within a story approach.
Superman - All Star Superman -> in absolute form its gorgeous with a great story with amazing visuals
Dark Knight Returns - one of the best works from Alan Moore; if you don't have time to read it, there's an animated movie part 1 and 2 that are wonderful.
Y: The Last Man - not a traditional super hero story but one where you follow around the last man on earth.
Planetary - by Warren Ellis - it's superb and tells a super hero story. If this was in novel form, it would be just as awesome.
Transmetropolitan - Wacky and out there - It's about a journalist in the future.

I've started Promethea but am not sure I'm in love with it yet.

You may want to search for best comic books or best omnibis to get a top 5 list for you to think about.

Each of the items above all have different or unique spins on the genre that make them all fun to read. Good luck!

Return to “Other Media”