Looney Tunes Blu Rays

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Looney Tunes Blu Rays

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 25th, 2018, 2:27 pm

When I was a kid I'd love watching TV on Saturday morning. There were a lot of great shows (Land of the Lost comes to mind) but the mainstay was the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner show. These cartoons, most of which came out of the 1950s, were timeless classics and I couldn't get enough of them.

So now I own all three volumes of the Looney Tunes on Blu Ray. The cartoons look amazing, and give you need appreciation for the artistry and animation. With these three volumes I have all the cartoons I remember - and then some! I like to pop in a disc on Saturday morning and let it play in the background. With two-dozen+ episodes per disc, they'll run for a while.

I just have one gripe. There's no feature to watch them randomly, which is how I used to experience them as a kid. I can't believe Warner Bros. dropped the ball on this one. It seems to me it would have been pretty easy to incorporate.

LuckyMan

Re: Looney Tunes Blu Rays

Postby LuckyMan » February 25th, 2018, 11:45 pm

I have all of these on DVD. I love them, too, but have the same complaint as you. I used to have a bunch of VCR tapes of Looney Tunes that I recorded off the TV. I much prefer to watch them randomly like that instead of organized like the DVD's with all of the Bugs Bunny cartoons together and then all of the Porky Pig cartoons together, etc. It's not as fun that way.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 26th, 2018, 6:43 am

I wish they'd do more. Just a fraction of Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies is out with the three Platinum Collections (And Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles adds several others for a 4th release). Even tossing in DVD into the mix still leaves many of the cartoons absent on optical media. A quick glance at Wikipedia shows well over 200 being absent from the 1940's alone (Widely viewed as the glory years for Warner's animation studio).

If you happen to also be a fan of the original MGM Tom & Jerry theatrical shorts by Hanna-Barbera from the 1940's and 1950's (The same time frame that most of the memorable WB cartoons were released), there's another Blu-Ray release that should be right up your alley. Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection Volume 1 offers most of the 1940's cartoon shorts on two Blu-Ray discs.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tom-and-J ... 25/#Review

Sadly, Volume 2 has yet to happen, which was supposed to finish the original Tom & Jerry run (The only era of T&J I'd care to own). Some of the cartoons have today's overly politically correct Warner Brothers reluctant to release them (I wonder how they even came to own this, since these were MGM originally?). And the fans have spoken loud and clear that they don't want edited cartoons or for anything to be skipped, so it looks like it isn't going to be happening.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 26th, 2018, 9:07 am

Atariboy wrote:I wonder how they even came to own this, since these were MGM originally?

Through Turner.

MGM was sold to Turner in the mid-80's, but he really only wanted the rights to their old film catalog. Turner sold the studio about a year or so after he bought it, but he kept the rights to their pre-1968(?) films. Later Turner's company merged with/sold to Warner.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » February 26th, 2018, 10:47 am

Atariboy wrote:I wish they'd do more. Just a fraction of Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies is out with the three Platinum Collections (And Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles adds several others for a 4th release). Even tossing in DVD into the mix still leaves many of the cartoons absent on optical media. A quick glance at Wikipedia shows well over 200 being absent from the 1940's alone (Widely viewed as the glory years for Warner's animation studio).

If you happen to also be a fan of the original MGM Tom & Jerry theatrical shorts by Hanna-Barbera from the 1940's and 1950's (The same time frame that most of the memorable WB cartoons were released), there's another Blu-Ray release that should be right up your alley. Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection Volume 1 offers most of the 1940's cartoon shorts on two Blu-Ray discs.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tom-and-J ... 25/#Review

Sadly, Volume 2 has yet to happen, which was supposed to finish the original Tom & Jerry run (The only era of T&J I'd care to own). Some of the cartoons have today's overly politically correct Warner Brothers reluctant to release them (I wonder how they even came to own this, since these were MGM originally?). And the fans have spoken loud and clear that they don't want edited cartoons or for anything to be skipped, so it looks like it isn't going to be happening.

Do you have the Looney Tunes Golden collections on DVD? There are 6 volumes with about 60 shorts each. That's around 360 cartoons altogether!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tu ... Collection

It's not Blu-Ray, but I would imagine this would be good for most fans.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 26th, 2018, 12:12 pm

I own the Golden Collections.

I believe I'm current with having each release that has the best version of a particular cartoon shot across Laserdisc, DVD, and Blu-Ray. The only stuff I'm missing should be releases that just amount to rereleases with no new content, or older releases that have been superseded with superior transfers on a newer format.

But when we're talking about 300 Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts for 1940-1949 alone (And over 1,000 total), we're a far way away from any level of completion. I'm reasonably close to owning everything I actually want though, since my interest starts in the later 1930's and starts to diminish in the early 1950's.

Short of those cartoon shorts that WB labels as politically incorrect (Too bad that long rumored Blu-Ray with restorations of these never happened), this golden era has a high degree of representation on home video if one is willing to go back to VHS and Laserdisc to fill a lot of holes.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » February 26th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Atariboy wrote:I own the Golden Collections.

I believe I'm current with having each release that has the best version of a particular cartoon shot across Laserdisc, DVD, and Blu-Ray. The only stuff I'm missing should be releases that just amount to rereleases with no new content, or older releases that have been superseded with superior transfers on a newer format.

But when we're talking about 300 Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts for 1940-1949 alone (And over 1,000 total), we're a far way away from any level of completion. I'm reasonably close to owning everything I actually want though, since my interest starts in the later 1930's and starts to diminish in the early 1950's.

Short of those cartoon shorts that WB labels as politically incorrect (Too bad that long rumored Blu-Ray with restorations of these never happened), this golden era has a high degree of representation on home video if one is willing to go back to VHS and Laserdisc to fill a lot of holes.

Oh wow, I had no idea they made that many!!

Return to “Other Media”