"Video Game Movies Ranked Worst to Best" - 46 movies total

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retro STrife

"Video Game Movies Ranked Worst to Best" - 46 movies total

Postby Retro STrife » March 19th, 2018, 5:15 pm

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/gu ... t-to-best/

^I found this article from Rotten Tomatoes pretty interesting and figured I'd pass it along. For those that aren't familiar with Rotten Tomatoes, it is an aggregate review site mostly geared toward movies. The premise of Rotten Tomatoes is that any movie with an aggregate critical score of 60% or higher is "fresh" (good) and any movie rated under 60% by critics is "rotten" (bad).

With the release of the new Tomb Raider movie, the site has put together a ranking of all the movies released in theaters that were adapted from specific video game franchises (movies with general video game themes, like Wargames and The Wizard, are excluded). There are 46 movies total, and the ranking is based on their average critic scores. I know that video game movies aren't exactly Oscar-worthy material, but still, what surprised me most from this list is that there has never been a video game movie released that had a positive rating. In fact, the new Tomb Raider movie sits at the top of the list, and it only has a score of 50%!

I have never had any interest in watching movie adaptions of game series. I was hoping I might break that trend by finding a good one on this list, but I guess not.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: "Video Game Movies Ranked Worst to Best" - 46 movies total

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 19th, 2018, 5:43 pm

The first Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider movies were pretty great.
We're talking about fun popcorn movies. Critics take themselves way too seriously.

Stalvern

Re: "Video Game Movies Ranked Worst to Best" - 46 movies total

Postby Stalvern » March 19th, 2018, 6:01 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The first Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider movies were pretty great.
We're talking about fun popcorn movies. Critics take themselves way too seriously.

Roger Ebert, hardly the biggest fan of video games, said that about both of the Angelina Jolie movies.

"Lara Croft Tomb Raider" elevates goofiness to an art form. Here is a movie so monumentally silly, yet so wondrous to look at, that only a churl could find fault.

And please don't tell me it makes no sense. The last thing I want to see is a sensible movie about how the Illuminati will reunite the halves of the severed triangle in order to control time in the ruins of the ancient city that once rose in the meteor crater--if, and it's a big "if," the clue of the All-Seeing Eye inside the hidden clock can be used at the moment of planetary alignment that comes every 5,000 years, and if the Tomb Raiders are not destroyed by the many-armed Vishnu figure and the stone monkeys. The logic is exhausting enough even when it doesn't make sense.

This is, at last, a real popcorn movie. I have been hearing for weeks from fans of "The Mummy Returns" and "Pearl Harbor," offended that I did not like those movies--no, not even as "popcorn movies." I responded that "The Mummy" was a good popcorn movie but "The Mummy Returns" was a bad popcorn movie. It is my job to know these things.

Return to “Other Media”