Describing Superhero's Powers?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Describing Superhero's Powers?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 21st, 2018, 12:18 am

I've been struggling for a while how to best utilize my new main character's power set, and I think I've got a pretty good idea how to do it. Problem is, I'm not sure if it makes any sense. Can I get a couple opinions from you guys?

So, imagine that his powers are like an engine. When the engine is turned off, he's just a normal guy. But then he starts the engine, and suddenly he has his powers. Just like a car engine, once it's turned on it'll stay turned on until he either turns it off or it runs out of "fuel", and his power level will stay more or less the same constant the whole time. However, he also has the ability to "rev" his engine, giving him temporary bursts of increased power in exchange for burning through "fuel" at an increased rate.

What do you guys think? Also, I was planning on calling him Valiant and making him kind of Superman-ish paragon for the rest of his world's superheroes, but now I'm wondering if I should just run with this whole engine thing and give him a name that reflects that.

scotland

Re: Describing Superhero's Powers?

Postby scotland » March 21st, 2018, 5:50 am

First, Valiant is the name of a comic book publisher. They had a good run in the 90s with titles, were bought by Acclaim, folded, and have returned. As gamers, we might know them best for the 90s era of Turok, that led to those video games. A different name might be better, or at least add something - call him Brother Valiant or something.

Second, the base idea is solid. Captain Marvel (aka Shazam), is a boy who says a magic word to power up.His powers don't have fuel though. Same for Hourman or Green Lanterm. A character that does is Ultraman from the tv series. A man uses a power up, but his powered up form has a definite time limit. Ultraman has a signature move that usually delivers the coup de grace, and then his power runs out.

The idea sounds more like a villain - the hero basically has to let the villain pound him or rampage or get angry enough that he burns through his powers. That has good storytelling promise. We see villains who copy heroes abilities alot, but can be overloaded or their powers confused. Marvel comics had a story about the Nazi version of Captain America (various names, Master Man or Ubermensch being two). His defeat comes from his powers basically burning up their fuel.

For a hero, it sounds fun. You can be powered up for something relatively short, like an hour, so its always relevant, but you can double down but reduce that time. Maybe there should be more cost, since most comic book battles are usually brief. Maybe revving the engine is painful, or leaves his regular body with a scar or something. Some heroes, like Wolverine or Wonder Woman, have sort of super power up modes, but it causes them to go berserker - losing control is a great storytelling device too.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 21st, 2018, 8:05 am

My instinct would to give him a name that vaguely suggests a car, building on the concept.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 21st, 2018, 8:56 am

Be careful with a car name, because it might sound like Turbo Man and Booster

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 21st, 2018, 1:09 pm

Thanks, guys. His actual powers are super strength, speed, invulnerability, and flight. Yeah, basically Superman, with the catch that he's always operating on a time limit. He can give himself moderate super strength/etc for a long time, or increased super strength for a medium amount of time, or CRAZY super strength for a matter of minutes/seconds.

Return to “Other Media”