Everything's hard to open?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Everything's hard to open?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 23rd, 2018, 2:44 pm

It started with the blister packs - those transparent plastic packaging materials that required scissors and mandatory hand stabs to get your item out. Now it seems as if all plastic wrapping is impossible to open. Not just regular items, but even cookies, potato chips, and candy bars. I feel like I need to have scissors (or a knife!) on hand to open everyday products!

I understand there are benefits to the retailer (less damaged goods) but it's getting downright consumer hostile!

I can only image some guy is working in a chemical plant that keeps saying to his boss "Hey, I was able to make that plastic 10x stronger". "Jennings, you deserve another raise! Keep it up!"

Anybody else noticed this?

Herschie

Re: Everything's hard to open?

Postby Herschie » March 23rd, 2018, 3:48 pm

Yep. So I step in the shower, turn on the water, and crap...no soap! I then step out of the shower to go grab some under the sink, water dripping everywhere, and the stupid cellophane is wrapped on there so tightly that I need to find something to cut it with. Usually ends up taking me forever to do it with toenail clippers. By then, water is everywhere in the bathroom, my wife comes in complaining about the mess, and the hot water is almost gone.

It's soap! You'd think it was gold they had wrapped in there, as hard as they make it to open.

Rewind back to the 90s when things weren't to tough to open. Now there was this football game I wanted for my Game Gear, and my mom said I might get it for Christmas. By then, I was in 6th grade, and my parents trusted me enough to be home alone for about the hour or so before they came home. But they really shouldn't have. I did a little snooping, and found where my mom had hidden the Christmas gifts. And there was the football game, I think NFL '95! It being early December, and me not wanting to wait until Christmas, I skillfully took it out of the box, since it wasn't wrapped in any cellophane. I'd play it until they were almost home, then I'd put it back in the box, them never the wiser.

This went on for all of about two days, because the game was terrible.

scotland

Re: Everything's hard to open?

Postby scotland » March 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm

I recently bought that Oregon Trail handheld game. The thing was held in by four giant plastic twist tabs (those tabs you have to turn 90s degree). The back of the housing is scarred by the four holes these things left.

The worst I've encountered are Disney products. Its at the point where I pre-open Disney products for holidays to avoid dealing with it.

Its hilarious that you can go to a part of their theme park, have 'Save the Earth, save our Environment' broadcast at you from a variety of cute anthropomorphic animals, but walk into the gift shop and see the toy figures of those same characters encased in layers of security plastic packaging, security tabs, and security straps.

For me, it all started when toys began to switch from being in boxes with windows to cards with clear blister clamshells (and taking the toy out ruins the card).

Return to “Other Media”