Kitchen sink?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Kitchen sink?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 23rd, 2018, 2:45 pm

I just had an idea. Maybe I will rename this forum "kitchen sink" since it's because kind of a 'catch all' for random topics.
Good idea?

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Kitchen sink?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 23rd, 2018, 4:37 pm

Sounds good to me.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » March 23rd, 2018, 8:37 pm

Going to have to specify that "Kitchen sink" doesn't include politics. "Other media" leaves "politics" a little more clearly outside of discussion, or at least requires someone to think "can he mean the like, media, media and their reporting of current events?" Kitchen sink kind of sounds like it should include everything and anything. I know that's already in the description, but maybe highlight that part if you rename the forum?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 23rd, 2018, 10:14 pm

Atarifever wrote:Going to have to specify that "Kitchen sink" doesn't include politics. "Other media" leaves "politics" a little more clearly outside of discussion, or at least requires someone to think "can he mean the like, media, media and their reporting of current events?" Kitchen sink kind of sounds like it should include everything and anything. I know that's already in the description, but maybe highlight that part if you rename the forum?

I wouldn't say that. It's the norm for politics to be off limits in boards for general topics, no matter what they're named. (I have never seen one that went out of its way to name itself after that rule; if one did, it would suggest that the forum had some severe issues.) Given that the explicit rule is already unmissable if you're looking close enough at the board to click on it, the kind of person who would post about politics anyway is going to grind their axe no matter what - and get banned.

Rev

Postby Rev » March 24th, 2018, 1:33 am

Honestly changing the name doesn't matter too much to me. Kind of like the name kitchen sink. I don't think you would need to specify no politics since we're a pretty small forum and self approve everything. If for some reason it ever became a problem you could address it then...

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 24th, 2018, 3:40 am

Howbout "kitchen sink, no politics"? Like we can pretend that politics are like bacon grease and will ruin the sink.

Ugh, I'm getting so tired of Facebook, everything is politics, and it brings out the worst in people.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » March 24th, 2018, 3:11 pm

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but "kitchen sink" is what you throw in when everything is already included. That's what the saying is getting at. It's everything and the kitchen sink (or everything but the kitchen sink), which implies the something is near infinite or uncountable. It's like calling a forum "The wild west" or "free for all." I think it implies a lack of limits by its name.

Return to “Other Media”