Recommend some Podcasts

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Recommend some Podcasts

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 15th, 2018, 12:31 am

I've recently started listening to podcasts at work, but the only one I've found that sounded interesting was Adventure Zone. That'll probably take me a while to get through, but does anybody know any others that I might like?

Stalvern

Re: Recommend some Podcasts

Postby Stalvern » April 24th, 2018, 5:54 pm

I don't know how I missed this thread. I definitely have recommendations!

I listen to a lot of podcasts about bad movies - it's a riot to hear funny people talk about really stupid stuff. Two of the biggest ones are The Flop House, which focuses on really lame new movies, and We Hate Movies, which tends to cover older and more overtly awful ones. (How Did This Get Made? is also very popular, but it sucks.) I love both of them, although neither one's perfect (and late last year, We Hate Movies decided to lock a ton of their older episodes unless you pledge to their Patreon, which is ridiculous). The Flop House is on the McElroys' podcasting network, and it and The Adventure Zone had a "Great Switcheroo" event a few years ago, with each show's hosts doing an episode of the other show. There's also a Flop House episode with Travis McElroy as a guest, and I think that The Flop House's Stuart Wellington might have an appearance or two on The Adventure Zone. One caveat about The Flop House is that they love inside jokes so much that people had to put together an entire wiki cataloging them, but it's not a problem if you end up really getting into the show, and that's very easy to do! Two other shows I'd recommend are Film Sack, which is a bit more serious and general (and unfortunately inconsistent - when they talk about bad movies, it's fantastic and better than anything else I've heard, but when they talk about good movies, a lot of the tangents that they go on can be pretty irritating to sit through) and Stinker Madness, which is messy and scattershot but also has a really fun, informal atmosphere.

Hardcore Gaming 101 has an interesting show called Top 47,858 Games of All Time, which updates a list of "very official, very final" rankings with each episode. It's pretty dry, there are a couple of annoying hosts in the lineup, and I'm not wild about a lot of their takes (I found their Riven discussion downright infuriating), but like all things HG101, it's a clear labor of love, and it's worth a few listens at least. The only real issue is that HG101's migration to a redesigned site has left it without a single complete archive on either the (bizarrely deteriorating) old site or the new one, so the RSS feed is the best place to find all of the episodes. There's also a previous HG101 podcast that discussed games without the ranking gimmick, plus a spinoff of that one covering indie games. (And if you're interested in indie games, the venerable Indie Game Dev Podcast is an enormous collection of interviews going all the way back to 2006 - I stopped really following the indie scene around 2012, but I'm sure that the later episodes are even better than the ones I was paying attention to.)

Finally, Abject Suffering is a podcast that I have not had the time to get into but really want to. It's about bad games, and that seems like such obviously good material for a show that I'm recommending it without having heard a single episode (yet).

With all of these recommendations, it seems irresponsible to not offer good starting points, so here are some that come to mind for the movie podcasts. (Recommendations like these make sense for the movie podcasts because they're funny whether you've seen the movies or not, but the game podcasts will likely only be interesting if you already care about the games or indie developers involved, so I'll leave them up to you.)

The Flop House: Jonah Hex, The Oogieloves, Foodfight!, I, Frankenstein, Nothing but Trouble

We Hate Movies: Judge Dredd, Taking Care of Business, The Butterfly Effect, Space Jam, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Film Sack: The Lawnmower Man, Street Fighter: The Movie, Battlefield Earth, Freejack, Hudson Hawk

Stinker Madness: Catwoman, Road House, Yor: The Hunter from the Future, Troll 2, Tango & Cash

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » April 25th, 2018, 8:43 pm

If you like retro gaming (such as myself), you can't do much better than Retronauts. I've been listening to them for over 10 years and it's my go-to podcast. Aside from that, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is one of my favorites for in-depth historical analysis of a variety of topics.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 25th, 2018, 10:13 pm

Comedy Bang Bang and How did this get made are both hilarious.

Comedy Bang Bang is sort of a mix of improv and talk show. Very goofy. You probably need to listen to a few episodes to really get it. Most episodes have one real guest, various actors, musicians and comedians, and multiple “guests” that are goofy made up characters just barging in on the podcast. Has me on the floor sometimes and I highly recommend it.

How Did this Get Made is a poscast where a few comedians (Paul Sheer, Jason Mantzoukas, June Diane Raphael and the occasional guest) watch bad movies and then discuss/make fun of them. Not exactly like mystery science theatre because they watch them beforehand then discuss them after (they occasionally play a clip but it’s a podcast so this format works better). It’s definitely funnier when you’ve seen the movie. They do a lot of obscure awful movies but they’ll also do some big hits that were awful (Street Fighter Movie, Mario Movie, etc).

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 25th, 2018, 11:02 pm

Cool, guys, I'll keep these in mind. Thanks!

Return to “Other Media”