I Spy: A Book of Picture Riddles

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

I Spy: A Book of Picture Riddles

Postby Retrology » April 22nd, 2018, 6:06 pm

Anyone ever read these books? They were everywhere back in the 90s' and I couldn't get enough of them as a kid. I love how the sets they use feel mysterious and give the reader a giant sense of awe and isolation.

What's really surprising is that the challenges as an adult are really tough! I have to hand it to the creators; they were really meticulous with the designs!

Anyway, the books are aimed at kids, but adults can still have loads of fun with these books. If you have little kids these books are perfect as well.

Thoughts? Anyone else read the books?

Stalvern

Re: I Spy: A Book of Picture Riddles

Postby Stalvern » April 22nd, 2018, 7:03 pm

I Spy: Fantasy was the best one, but they were all incredibly beautiful. And Walter Wick has been making more books like this since the I Spy series; his latest is all fold-outs (be sure to click the "Behind-the-scenes" links at the bottom of the page!), which is really neat to me and is probably mind-blowing to a little kid.

You hear about kids growing up on YouTube and iPad games now, but I don't think that makes a difference here. I remember the I Spy books more fondly than I do most of my childhood video tapes and computer games (most, to be fair - nothing touches The Land Before Time!) and wouldn't be surprised if kids today would tend to end up feeling the same way.

Relevant video.

Return to “Other Media”