Dungeons and Dragons?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Dungeons and Dragons?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 1st, 2018, 6:32 pm

I've always been interested in Dungeons and Dragons but I've never had the chance to really get into it. My friend at work has invited me to be part of his D&D group, though, and I want to join. Anyone else here play? Got any advice and/or funny stories?

For me, I want to do something out of the ordinary. I was thinking of playing an orc bard named Mongrul. He's not really a bard, but he killed a bard once, and his tribal customs dictate that if you kill an enemy, you're more deserving of his weapon than he is, so you take it. So, he took this poor bard's lute and his fancy bard clothes, and now he does all the normal bard things in the most orc-ish ways possible. He sings about killing small animals while strumming an instrument he can't play, he tries to seduce women by challenging them to armed combat, he boosts the party's morale by threatening to kill them if they don't do better, etc. I'm not entirely sure how to build that character, though. He'd obviously have more strength than a normal human bard, and probably not as much charisma, so how do I take all that into account?

Retrology

Re: Dungeons and Dragons?

Postby Retrology » May 1st, 2018, 7:39 pm

Funny you mentioned this, because my friends and I just started playing D&D again. Very fun and cool concept.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 1st, 2018, 7:43 pm

Haven't played in many years, but I recall my friends and I spending most of our time pouring over the awesome books and cool dice. It was kind of a social thing. You should try it.

The last time I played I showed the RPG Critic my old stuff and he suggested using books from THIS century! LOL

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » May 1st, 2018, 7:44 pm

The only real D&D was published in the 70s-90s.

Here's how you 'build' a character. Roll up stats, choose class and race. Play. When you're 10th level, all the adventures you had is the character's "back story."

A first level character is a no body. It's up to you to make a story at the gaming table.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 1st, 2018, 8:18 pm

Dungeons and Dragons has really made a come back. There is alternate system called Pathfinder by a different company, as well as many official versions.

I played several versions, but mostly AD&D that was the most popular system until the mid 80s. Its now called 1st Edition in hindsight. Yeah, character creation was really pretty quick. Roll some D6, pick a race and class, maybe some starting spell or get a family heirloom +1 sword or something, and off you go.

There are years of old modules to play, and few people are going to spoil them anymore. Its a lot of fun with the right group of people. Most playefs are partial to the same general character type. Thieves, Rangers, Paladins, Magic Users, Clerics, Druids, Monks, Assassins and Fighters...that might have really been about it back then. Dragon Magazine slowly added more and more classes unti 2nd edition came out.

Good luck and remember, the tavern us a good place to start.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » May 1st, 2018, 9:35 pm

I played D&D back in the 1980's in middle school and I loved it. I spent many Friday and Saturday nights for hours on end eating junk food and playing D&D. I loved it. I haven't played in nearly a quarter century but I have fond memories of it. It's fun and you can make it as hard or easy to play. Funny how back in the day it was frowned upon because of some of the content but nowadays? Parent would kill to have their kids play a game with their friends using dice and their imagination instead of becoming slowly brain dead staring at their phones!

scotland

Postby scotland » May 5th, 2018, 9:23 am

There is an RPG bundle site, bundle of holding. Its a fun way to see the many paper and pencil RPGs, from classic dungeon crawls, to scifi like Traveller and more. Here is a fun one that began in 1984 - Paranoia

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/ParanoiaClassic2018

Unlike other systems, Paranoia is not about improving your characters, its about other crazy stuff.

Another wide spread system is Steve Jacksons GURPS, which has modules to play any sort of game you want, from looking for alien/cursed/magic artifacts to time travel to standard fantasy fare.

Return to “Other Media”