Getting rid of ding dong ditchers?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Getting rid of ding dong ditchers?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 20th, 2018, 12:25 am

One of the neighborhood brats has decided it's funny to ring my doorbell and wake me up multiple times every night, but I don't know who he is or where he lives so I can't file a complaint to the landlord or call the police. Someone said I could disable the doorbell entirely, but I don't like the idea of disabling a part of my house because some stupid kid thinks its funny to keep people up at night. They also said I could tape a thumbtack to my doorbell, but I could see that ending in legal trouble. It's against the complex rules for me to install my own security system, so no cameras by the door. And of course, I assume that chasing the idiot down and beating the hell out of him would be illegal. So... any ideas?

Stalvern

Re: Getting rid of ding dong ditchers?

Postby Stalvern » May 20th, 2018, 7:19 am

Sleep next to the door one night, so you can catch him right when he rings.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » May 20th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Easy. Crack open your doorbell, splice in a switch to a microcontroller, and set a wicked trap.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 20th, 2018, 1:52 pm

My friends at work have recommended "The Ring" doorbell which has a camera.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 20th, 2018, 2:38 pm

I'm just relieved to know you're not getting a sex change operation!

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » May 20th, 2018, 5:18 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm just relieved to know you're not getting a sex change operation!

LOL!

David

Postby David » May 20th, 2018, 7:17 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm just relieved to know you're not getting a sex change operation!

My god, I must’ve re-read the original post about five times before getting your joke. I must be a little slow on the uptick today.

On topic I would basically do what Stalvern suggested, except maybe I’d take a day and pull an all nighter. And I’d have a hose ready or a bucket of water balloons. ;) That’s if you’re really not able to set up a camera, even just a temporary one until you catch one of the little bastards. I’d stay away from something like a thumbtack or anything that could actually injure them. Do you live in a townhouse or an apartment or something?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 20th, 2018, 8:46 pm

A townhouse, yeah.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 21st, 2018, 3:38 pm

You could just wire in a switch in the bell inside itself. Or just unscrew the wires for a few weeks.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 21st, 2018, 7:27 pm

That happened once to us about 4 am. Woke up the dog and baby. I was so pissed I'd have shot him and dragged him indoors to claim self defense. I was so livid.

Cycle a shotgun right after the door bell is pushed. If that doesn't stop them from doing it again, they deserve
some salt.

Hmm, you could probably rig up an arduino to play the sound effect.

Return to “Other Media”