Jurassic World

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Jurassic World

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 12th, 2018, 10:11 pm

I've always been a big fan of the Jurassic Park films and really looking forward to this new one.

The first was the best by far. Best story, best characters, and for my money the best special effects. I can watch it over and over.

The second, Lost World, was a letdown compared to the first, but still respectable with some exciting scenes.

Jurassic Park III is underrated. I think there was a Last Jedi/Solo thing going on, with so many people disillusioned by Lost World they didn't care about this third film. But it really is a lot of fun and the Spinosaurus is very scary.

Jurassic World didn't have the sense of wonder of the first, but I still enjoyed it. I always thought a theme park was the most fun way to present the dinosaurs.

I have high hopes for the new film. The scene with the raptor creeping into the kid's room at night is the stuff of nightmares.

Any other Jurassic Park fans out there? Maybe I should put together a Jurassic Park game special.

Voor

Re: Jurassic World

Postby Voor » June 13th, 2018, 8:18 am

Yep, love JP and it’s amazing how well the original has aged.

I would say Part 2 was awful. It loses a star just on that horrendous gymnastics routine scene.

Part 3 was okay. I enjoyed it. That birdcage moment was great.

I thought World 1 was the best since the original. Pratt was a good choice I think.

I’m concerned that World 2 will overdo it on cheesy moments. I plan to see it, but I saw an extended trailer and it made me less excited that I was before.

Steve

Postby Steve » June 13th, 2018, 2:29 pm

I like all the Jurassic Park/World movies and I would agree that The Lost World was the lesser of the group. I also agree that Jurassic Park 3 is greatly underrated however, there is one aspect of that movie that actually fills me with rage. The idea that the husband and wife lied to everyone in order to get them to the island while not suffering any consequences is just a plot point I can't handle. At the very least, one of the parents should have been killed or at least severely injured. I get the happiness in them getting their son back but it's almost like they had no remorse for anyone that got killed. That single plot point almost ruined the entire movie. Just thinking about it makes me mad. Did Dr. Grant even get the research funds he was promised?

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » June 13th, 2018, 7:50 pm

For better or worse I'll. Always compare the first two to they're respective books. After getting the original book at my school book fair in the 6th grade and falling in love with it I was incredibly excited seeing it was being made into a movie. My grandparents took me to the see it and I remember loving it and thinking it stayed fairly true to the book.

Then along came The Lost World (not Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's). I didn't love the book the same as the first, but it was still very enjoyable. I was mortified then when I went to see the movie that just about the only similarity with the book was the title and the fact that there were dinosaurs. They'd "Michael Bay-ed" the movie before that was even a thing.

I enjoyed the third movie having no real expectations for it.

Jurassic World did remind me of a return to the original. I just hope its sequel isn't a return to the original sequel.

jon

Postby jon » June 14th, 2018, 3:54 am

I loved Jurassic World in the theater. However, when I saw it a few months later I barely enjoyed it. I agree that the original is just as enjoyable, if not more, as it was in 1993. The second and third movies are decent; definitely worth watching.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 14th, 2018, 7:47 am

Luigi & Peach wrote:For better or worse I'll. Always compare the first two to they're respective books. After getting the original book at my school book fair in the 6th grade and falling in love with it I was incredibly excited seeing it was being made into a movie. My grandparents took me to the see it and I remember loving it and thinking it stayed fairly true to the book.

Then along came The Lost World (not Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's). I didn't love the book the same as the first, but it was still very enjoyable. I was mortified then when I went to see the movie that just about the only similarity with the book was the title and the fact that there were dinosaurs. They'd "Michael Bay-ed" the movie before that was even a thing.

I enjoyed the third movie having no real expectations for it.

Jurassic World did remind me of a return to the original. I just hope its sequel isn't a return to the original sequel.

Didn’t know Doyle had a book by that title. I’m working on a thousand page Sherlock Holmes collection, and it’s great! I love it.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 14th, 2018, 10:41 am

Voor wrote:Didn’t know Doyle had a book by that title. I’m working on a thousand page Sherlock Holmes collection, and it’s great! I love it.

....How did you not know that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a novel called The Lost World? It's not exactly obscure.

-The novel was one of the first to show a world where ancient creatures survived. It's considered a major milestone in dinosaur fiction.

-The novel has been made into several motion pictures:

1) The 1st version, a silent version made by National Pictures, was the 1st feature film to use Willis Obrian's stop motion work. It's considered a predecessor to King Kong & a major milestone in both special visual FX & depictions of dinosaurs in movies. There's even a clip of it in Jurassic Park's behind-the-scenes documentary which aired on PBS & was included on JP's DVD. It's in the public domain; watch it here: https://archive.org/details/lost_world
2) The 2nd version, made in 1960, was 20th-Century Fox's follow up to 1959's successful adaption of Journey to the Center of the Earth. It was directed by Irwin Allen who reused the FX in all four of his 60''s TV shows.
3) There was also a cable TV version made in the mid-90's, which was successful enough to warrant a sequel.

-There was a syndicated TV show in the late 90's, not based on any previous filmed version.

How does someone miss all of this?

Not knowing that Doyle wrote The Lost World is like thinking atari is just a term from Go.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 14th, 2018, 1:40 pm

pacman000 wrote:....How did you not know that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a novel called The Lost World? It's not exactly obscure.

Not knowing that Doyle wrote The Lost World is like thinking atari is just a term from Go.

The Lost World is fairly popular and definitely Doyle's best-known work besides Sherlock Holmes, but it's never been a massive cultural phenomenon like Jurassic Park or Atari (or Sherlock Holmes). The appropriate reaction to Voor's post is mild surprise, not flabbergasted shock that he somehow managed to avoid seeing a silent film and a TV movie.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 14th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Stalvern wrote:
pacman000 wrote:....How did you not know that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a novel called The Lost World? It's not exactly obscure.

The Lost World is fairly popular and definitely Doyle's best-known work besides Sherlock Holmes, but it's never been a massive cultural phenomenon like Jurassic Park or Atari (or Sherlock Holmes). The appropriate reaction to Voor's post is mild surprise, not flabbergasted shock that he somehow managed to avoid seeing a silent film and a TV movie.
That he never saw the adaptions isn't surprising; that he never heard of them is.

Then again, there's been about 20 years since someone's tried an adaption, which is enough time for folks to forget about it. :/

ESauce

Postby ESauce » June 14th, 2018, 4:58 pm

I don’t remember Jurassic Park 2; I was a kid when it came out. But Jurassic Park III and Jurassic World were two of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. Jurassic Park III was so formulaic I could predict every single thing that happened within 15 minutes. Jurassic World was maybe even worse; it was just as bad as any sci-fi original monster movie. There has only been one good Jurassic Park movie if you ask me. And this sequel doesn’t look any better.

I would enjoy a Jurassic Park game feature though. There have been a few good games.

Return to “Other Media”