Jurassic World

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
pacman000

Re: Jurassic World

Postby pacman000 » June 14th, 2018, 5:42 pm

My earlier responses about The Lost World were a bit over the top, & rude. Forgive me please.

On Jurassic World...

A lot of stuff in Jurassic Park seemed real, like the tech needed was just around the corner. ("Interactive CD-ROMS!") Even cloning dinosaurs seemed possible; the scientists who claimed to have successfully found ancient DNA hadn't been disproved yet.

Jurassic World, however, seemed to take things a bit too far. We're not going to have a volumetric display anytime soon. Still a cool movie.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 14th, 2018, 6:32 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I've always been a big fan of the Jurassic Park films and really looking forward to this new one.

The first was the best by far. Best story, best characters, and for my money the best special effects. I can watch it over and over.

The second, Lost World, was a letdown compared to the first, but still respectable with some exciting scenes.

Jurassic Park III is underrated. ... But it really is a lot of fun and the Spinosaurus is very scary.

Jurassic World didn't have the sense of wonder of the first, but I still enjoyed it. I always thought a theme park was the most fun way to present the dinosaurs.

Any other Jurassic Park fans out there? Maybe I should put together a Jurassic Park game special.

This is pretty much how I feel about each film, too. TLW is my least fave but I enjoy them all. Looking forward to Jurassic World 2. A JP special would be fun to read, I've played many of the games. I really enjoyed Genesis JP and TLW, Sega CD JP, and Telltale's JP the Game on Xbox 360. The King Kong Xbox game had a good Lost World feel to it too.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 14th, 2018, 10:51 pm

Eh, my favorite type of people—those that aren’t glad to share knowledge, but instead are annoyed that you don’t already know it.

Just joking...kind of.

I got my Sherlock Holmes collection last year, and had very little hopes of enjoying it. But I’m halfway through, and it’s one of my favorite literary works ever. The stories have a predictable formula, but I actually like that in books, movies, TV episodes.

I had never heard of Doyle before last year, and really didn’t know much about Sherlock Holmes aside from his cultural reference as the symbolic character for a really good detective.

Anyway, I told my whole family about TLW book, and they were equally impressed. Interestingly, Micheal Crichton said that it sucks, but I’d still like to read it.

So sorry I offended you but I appreciate learning something new! ;)

As others and myself has mentioned, JP has aged really well. I watched Jaws recently, and it reminded me of JP multiple times, particularly the whole “family attraction in spite of danger” conflict. And it also has aged well.

Speilberg knows his stuff.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 15th, 2018, 12:19 am

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/139

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's version of The Lost World, online for free; it's old enough for the copyright to have expired in the US.

Not bad, once they get to the Lost World. Sadly that takes about half the novel. :/

Sorry again! :(

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » June 15th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Jurassic Park, great flick, memorable lines “your scientists were so preoccupied if they could they never stopped to think if they should”.

The problem that I had with Jurassic World (along with The Hobbit and the newer Stars Wars flicks) is CGI overload. I want to see a movie not a video game.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 19th, 2018, 9:09 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4J9TBlFxAg

Jurassic Park's T-Rex going through the motions.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 1st, 2018, 8:57 pm

I saw Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom and I think it's a lot better than people make it out to be. It had a very different feel from the other films, and there are some nifty new creatures. Plenty of action and edge-of-your-seat thrills. It's not as good as the original Jurassic Park, but I think it's as good as Jurassic World.

I think it's the perfect popcorn movie.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 2nd, 2018, 6:02 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I saw Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom and I think it's a lot better than people make it out to be. It had a very different feel from the other films, and there are some nifty new creatures. Plenty of action and edge-of-your-seat thrills. It's not as good as the original Jurassic Park, but I think it's as good as Jurassic World.

I think it's the perfect popcorn movie.

Ya I would say it's a "beer and pretzels movie". Entertaining but the plot did not make any sense at all. I think Jurassic Park has run its course although obviously there will be a sequel. There were no fresh ideas in this movie in my opinion. I also despised the two people Claire brought along for the ride. The guy who was afraid of everything could not get eaten by a dinosaur fast enough for me. Sadly it did not happen.

Sut

Postby Sut » July 2nd, 2018, 11:11 am

It was OK, it’s clear they are running out of ideas as they just invent a new dinosaur hybrid every film now.
Entertaining enough but not something I would watch again. Jurassic World is getting very formulaic.

Return to “Other Media”