KKND Xtreme (PC)

The readers post their own reviews.
Dynamo1

KKND Xtreme (PC)

Postby Dynamo1 » April 6th, 2012, 6:54 am

KKND Xtreme is a competent, if unspectacular, RTS game clearly inspired by the Command & Conquer games (some could argue it's a blatant rip-off). Set in the dark future where a nuclear war has destroyed most of the world, two factions of humans and mutants battle it out in the typical war for supremacy. It sounds uninspired, but fortunately the game is tounge-in-cheek and doesn't take itself very seriously, as seen by some absurd units and amusing briefings. The Survivors (humans) mostly use advanced technology while the Evolved (mutants) use large mutated beasts and ancient vehicles to fight. The two factions are different graphically but play pretty much the same, which isn't a bad thing by the way. The graphics are decent although they're mostly just the desert and grassland you got sick of at the end of Command & Conquer. Would it be too much to ask for an ice or urban tileset? The gameplay revolves around harvesting resources (oil) and building troops to destroy the base of the enemy in typical C&C fashion. The battles are fun enough and some units work best against others, adding the necessary amount of strategy. There's a single player campaign for each faction plus some bonus missions and then a Kaos mode which works just like skirmish in Command & Conquer. Despite claims from the developers that the AI is very innovative since it even retreats occasionally, I found it to be just about average and quite repetitive in its tactics and scripted (even in skirmish they have pre-built bases). The industrial music is decent and quite fitting and the sound effects are good enough as well. Flaws? Well, for one thing, the game is extremely difficult, to the point I was never able to complete some of the missions. This is mostly because in some of the later missions the resources are placed in heavily guarded spots and they deplete way too soon. The game also lacks any form of map editor, limiting its replay value. But overall, I'd say KKND Xtreme is worth playing if you're a fan of the genre, just don't expect the next Red Alert.

Grade: B

Return to “Reader Reviews”