Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox 360)

The readers post their own reviews.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » August 14th, 2006, 7:28 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Take the week at the start of August, only Pirates of The Caribbean is a game based on level structure.  Blitz, Dragonball, NCAA Football and the three 2600 games are all of the arcadey variety where the full game can be seen very early on.  So it isn't exactly like it would take much more time anyway.

[/QUOTE]
Okay, I'll try one last tactic to finish this debate.  I challange you to pick up a good version of Dig Dug (perhaps you already have a version in a Namco collection).  Take a couple weeks or so where you play nothing else at all, just Dig Dug.  Continue to try to top your high score over the entire two weeks.  Then, try to tell me that the game you're playing at the end of that time is the same one you played at the start.  I recently spent a couple weeks at Dig Dug 7800 (and nothing else), and my impressions of the game were much different the longer I played.  You don't "see" everything there is early on.  The game is so much deeper once you start developing strategies for it, that it stops being the game you first turned on. That's just Dig Dug, and some of the other games you mentioned as being "arcadey" are A LOT deeper than that. If anyting, more time needs to be given to arcade games, as the entire point of them is to master them in order to get everything you can out of them.  I understand what you're saying about content changing in bigger games, but te point is that ou can still be critical of a game and form your entire opinion in very short order.  If a movie were 2 and a half hours of boredom followed by one good ten minute scene, you wouldn't like it.  Why should a game get different treatment.
Also, the main game of Super Monkeyball started out as an arcade game in Japan, and is an arcade game by anyone's definition (I'm not talking about the minigames). 

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » August 14th, 2006, 8:48 am

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]...Do you think he is paying the milkman some extra cash to keep his wife happy while he is playing every game he owns to completion?  [/QUOTE]

Critic, how about I come over and play the milkman role?  Trust me, 2 minutes tops and then we can hit some co-op on PDZ.

JLH, brilliant comment

bluemonkey, I love you man, but you're off on this one.  If you're not having fun with the game there's no point in trying to muster through it when there are thousands of worthwhile games to waste your time on.  Linkdude, gave his opinion on the game.  He didn't like it and leave it at that.  Everyone's entitled to their own.  He's right the single player blows compared to today's FPSes.  However, when you compare it to the original Perfect Dark, it rules.  So I liked it for that, plus, the multiplayer is incredibly refershing to play against bots.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » August 14th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Many movies like Fight Club, The Village, Alien and others change greatly because of the ending/last half.

In my definition of arcade games is not that they are shallow but that in terms of developer created content early on.  Sure of course your play style changes as you get better at them but you can appreciate that beforehand.  I fail to see how you can't understand this.  Whether it is a fighter, a shooter, a game like Crazy Taxi, whatever you develop new play styles and tactitcs so you get better.  But that does not change the way the game feels nor the way it plays.  That just changes your success at it.  For example I suck at Tekken 3 because I haven't played it too much yet.  For many of the characters my play is made up of isolated stuttering attacks which make for a slow not so fun game.  But through getting reasonable with one character I can see how the game suddenly starts to flow.  Do I need to master all the characters to realise that the game actually flows smoothly and fast?  No of course I don't. 

Shawn

Postby Shawn » August 14th, 2006, 4:11 pm

You two should meet and settle this in the squared circle!

Monkey, I respect your opinion a great deal but to be honest I have played almost every FPS that has been released in the last ten years and while it is not a terrible game, PD0 is not all that great and I honestly agree with the critics review. It could be a case where you really enjoy a mediocre game. It happens! People thought Killzone was crap and it had its flaws but I absolutely loved the game. Good luck in your never ending war with Atarifever.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » August 14th, 2006, 7:03 pm

We'll never agree on this because you either love FPSers too much or arcade games too little, or I love arcade games too much and FPSers too little.  I think it's agree to disagree time.  

a1

Postby a1 » August 15th, 2006, 2:07 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Many movies like Fight Club, The Village, Alien and others change greatly because of the ending/last half.

[/QUOTE]

Okay those movies changed greatly because of suprise endings, and that can't be done in a game. Also, those movies had good endings, but they weren't crap until that.

Although, I heard the Village wasn't too great, and had an incredibly stupid and predictable ending. You should have included the Sixth Sense if you wanted to throw in a Shamalyan flick (is that how his name is spelled? I know there's a y in there somewhere).

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » August 15th, 2006, 7:09 am

Sixth Sense was good but I thought The Village easily eclipsed it to be honest.  I also prefered Unbreakable to it.  Haven't seen Signs or his earlier work yet though.  But I am definitely planning to see Lady in the Water.

Lots of people would argue that Alien was a complete borefest for the first 45 minutes when nothing really happens.  My girlfriend fell asleep on two separate occasions when trying to watch that movie and said she thought it was rubbish.  I eventually emotionally blackmailed her into watching up to where things start happening and she has actually changed her tune.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » August 15th, 2006, 11:03 am

You simply cannot compare movies to videogames.  There are too many differences in the mediums to use them for comparison.  One major difference is that everybody goes to a movie with the expectation of finishing it.  I would guess that the average completion rate of games these days is under 20%.  You can't compare "twist endings" of movies to games that start off slow and have decent endings/excellent last levels.  If  compelling gameplay lacks for too long, less and less people trudge along to finally finish it.  That is a major fault in game design in my opinion. 

FPS are no different than any other genre in my opinion.  I can figure out whether I like a FPS in the same amount of time that I can figure out if I like an RPG. 

I love Halo and Halo 2 and would probably give both of them A- to A grades.  Have I ever finished the campaigns in either?  Nope, but from what I played I really enjoyed.  Plus I've sunk countless hours into the multiplayer of both games and the gameplay itself is so rock solid that I can fairly make my assesment.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » August 15th, 2006, 11:13 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Sixth Sense was good but I thought The Village easily eclipsed it to be honest. 

[/QUOTE]
Well, now if I'd known this I wouldn't have bothered with the original arguement.  Unless you happen to think Sixth Sense is the worst movie ever made (leaving room for The Village being your pick for second worst movie ever made), we must have utterly different opinions in movies.  I like good plots, interesting characters, good dialogue, and, if there's a surprise ending, I don't want it to be so easy to figure out that anyone can see it coming within the first 20 minutes.  That movie is honestly the only movie where I've actually heard the whole audience say *yawn* when the "twist" came.  I saw it in the first week though, so maybe only people who hoped it wouldn't suck were there.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » August 15th, 2006, 11:20 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Sixth Sense was good but I thought The Village easily eclipsed it to be honest.  I also prefered Unbreakable to it.  Haven't seen Signs or his earlier work yet though.  But I am definitely planning to see Lady in the Water.

Lots of people would argue that Alien was a complete borefest for the first 45 minutes when nothing really happens.  My girlfriend fell asleep on two separate occasions when trying to watch that movie and said she thought it was rubbish.  I eventually emotionally blackmailed her into watching up to where things start happening and she has actually changed her tune.

[/QUOTE]

Terrible taste confirmerd.  The village was total garbage, a stupid movie and a stupid ending.  And the "bore fest" in alien was exposition look it up.

Return to “Reader Reviews”