Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura

The readers post their own reviews.
GaemzDood1

Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura

Postby GaemzDood1 » April 30th, 2012, 5:56 pm

When you watch the opening FMV while listening to the amazing soundtrack, you know you're in for an RPG that's truly special. The setting alone is off the wall; its an open world RPG in the same style as Fallout (as a matter of fact, Tim Cain & other creators of Fallout worked on Arcanum for 3 years) that takes place in the industrial revolution... except the world is full of mages, dwarfs, & orcs (with guns I might add). Also similar to Fallout, you can create your character however you want too; there's no pre-set classes whatsoever. You can have a gun-slinging Dwarf or a magic using Half-Ogre which is just awesome. Arcanum is truly a game that's truly open ended, it blows games like Fallout 3 out of the water; everything you do has an effect on the world. People look at you differently, you have different dialogue options, certain character may or may not join your party, & if your evil; you can just kill people indiscriminately. The game world is big but never gets overwhelming, also like Fallout; there's a scarcity of towns & locales. There's also a fast travel option if you're like me & you don't like tedious exploration just for the sake of it. The only real complaint I have with Arcanum is the real-time combat system; which was forced in by the publisher, Sierra. Luckily, there's satisfying (though simplified & often too fast paced for its own good) turn-based combat which literally uses the same combat engine as Fallout & Fallout 2.

Fallout 3 isn't the true successor to Fallout & Fallout 2; Arcanum is. If you play Arcanum, you'll be loving life even if your life sucks. Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura is an absolutely amazing game that you can't miss out on, even if you don't really like Role-Playing games.

I use a 5 star rating scale indicating that 0 is the worst and 5 is a must have. Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura recieves a 4.5/5

C64_Critic

Re: Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura

Postby C64_Critic » August 2nd, 2015, 4:59 pm

GaemzDood1 wrote:When you watch the opening FMV while listening to the amazing soundtrack, you know you're in for an RPG that's truly special. The setting alone is off the wall; its an open world RPG in the same style as Fallout (as a matter of fact, Tim Cain & other creators of Fallout worked on Arcanum for 3 years) that takes place in the industrial revolution... except the world is full of mages, dwarfs, & orcs (with guns I might add). Also similar to Fallout, you can create your character however you want too; there's no pre-set classes whatsoever. You can have a gun-slinging Dwarf or a magic using Half-Ogre which is just awesome. Arcanum is truly a game that's truly open ended, it blows games like Fallout 3 out of the water; everything you do has an effect on the world. People look at you differently, you have different dialogue options, certain character may or may not join your party, & if your evil; you can just kill people indiscriminately. The game world is big but never gets overwhelming, also like Fallout; there's a scarcity of towns & locales. There's also a fast travel option if you're like me & you don't like tedious exploration just for the sake of it. The only real complaint I have with Arcanum is the real-time combat system; which was forced in by the publisher, Sierra. Luckily, there's satisfying (though simplified & often too fast paced for its own good) turn-based combat which literally uses the same combat engine as Fallout & Fallout 2. Fallout 3 isn't the true successor to Fallout & Fallout 2; Arcanum is. If you play Arcanum, you'll be loving life even if your life sucks. Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura is an absolutely amazing game that you can't miss out on, even if you don't really like Role-Playing games.I use a 5 star rating scale indicating that 0 is the worst and 5 is a must have. Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura recieves a 4.5/5

I actually have been considering picking this up lately to add my 'games I'll probably never get around to playing but I think would be awesome so I need to have them' collection. You've sold me!

Return to “Reader Reviews”