Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)

The readers post their own reviews.
feilong801

Postby feilong801 » September 19th, 2006, 10:11 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

The fact you have to dig that deep to find ANY sort of combo shows how little depth the fighting has.  Also while your anicdote was interesting it doesn't really change the fact it lacks balance or any sort of technical nature in the fights. 

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. There are unique components to each arena that can be exploited strategically, such as the poke balls in pokemon stadium. There are moves that have to be correctly executed at the right time. When my gaming "crew" would play this game (and SSBM is right up there with Halo 2 in being the most played multiplayer console game ever in my neck of the woods), one guy, the dastardly Jason with his Dr. Mario, would win every single time, no matter what we did, or how we set the handicap.

He was just better at the game. If it was truly random, he would have lost at some point.

-Rob

www.robhowardmusicproduction.com

blog and podcast: www.robhowardshow2.blogspot.com

Quill

Postby Quill » September 19th, 2006, 11:29 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

The fact you have to dig that deep to find ANY sort of combo shows how little depth the fighting has.  Also while your anicdote was interesting it doesn't really change the fact it lacks balance or any sort of technical nature in the fights. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't know how much digging I did. I've known about the tourney scene for a long time. A few months after the game came out I did a search and smashboards.com appeared. Also as far as the combos go... go to single player, training mode, pick any character, press start, you will see a combo counter.

I guess some of my points may not matter much to you or anyone that does not play video games competitively.

On the competitive level compared to other fighting games Smash is very balanced. Or at the very least it is just as balanced. About 7-8 of the 25 characters (26 if you count shiek as a seperate character) are used frequently in tournaments. That is alot... considering when games like MvC2 with 56 different characters only have about the same number of playable characters. Sorry if I used the worst example, I do know there are some better and more balanced fighters. That's just the first thing that came to my head. What might you consider a balanced fighting game?

Anyways what do you consider technichal?  Pushing a sequence of buttons? THe timing it takes to enter that sequence correctly? I'm sure I could show you some stuff that you wouldn't be able to do. I could give you examples but you probably would not understand least you played the game regularly which I"m sure you don't. Though I would like to know what you consider technichal skill.

You make alot of claims but I feel you lack strong examples of these claims.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » September 20th, 2006, 12:33 am

No one ever said the game was random so not sure where that's coming from.  And yes you can indeed become very good at the game, doesn't change the fact you can still mash like crazy and do well.  I've done it, sure I could have played the "real" way but I didn't need to mashing worked just fine.  And before anyone says "I could whip you" that isn't the point if you just button mash in say street fighter 2 or KOF 03 you WONT get anywhere at all.

a1

Postby a1 » September 20th, 2006, 2:17 am

I don't care if you guys don't like the game, but stop saying there is no strategy and anyone can win. Even in 4 player free-for-alls the best players consistently come out on top. Stop being such a know-it-all SSX.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » September 20th, 2006, 9:57 am

[QUOTE=a]

Stop being such a know-it-all SSX.

[/QUOT]

Never, if I did that I wouldn't be me. 

Quill

Postby Quill » September 20th, 2006, 5:23 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

No one ever said the game was random so not sure where that's coming from.  And yes you can indeed become very good at the game, doesn't change the fact you can still mash like crazy and do well.  I've done it, sure I could have played the "real" way but I didn't need to mashing worked just fine.  And before anyone says "I could whip you" that isn't the point if you just button mash in say street fighter 2 or KOF 03 you WONT get anywhere at all.

[/QUOTE]

Specifically where I got the random thing from was that button mashing is random. So if you all you needed to do was button mash then the outcome of every game should be random. Sorry if I inferred the wrong thing but honestly if two players just ran at each other and jammed on the buttons then it would always result in a random outcome.

Trust me I know plenty of button mashers and they aren't very good.

I understand the fact that me saying I could beat you ,which is probably true if only because I play the game a lot more than you do, doesn't mean jack. However the button mashers I do play occasionally don't really stand a chance. Button mashing can get you somewhere... against your friends and if that's all your playing then fine yeah just pressing buttons will get you somewhere... until you jump off the ledge. The same can be said for any fighting game really. Sure if you hit the arcade button mashing won't get you very far. It'll beat most casual players though.

You did say that you can get better at the game which means the game must have strategy or requires some sort of technichal skill which must be learned. I can prove that technichal skill can be and is involved in this game... however you'd have to come visit me or vice versa... which is more than likely out of the cards and more work than I'm willing to do to prove my point.

Lastly, I hope I don't sound mean in any of this. Its just that when you've invested about 4+ years playing a game and well I've become a bit defensive over it. Also I don't mind that you don't like or hate the game. Just don't hate it for the wrong reasons.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » September 20th, 2006, 5:41 pm

[QUOTE]Just don't hate it for the wrong reasons.  [/QUOTE]

Is the fact I find it dull and uninteresting the right reason?  I've tried many, many times to like these games but I just can't.  Yes you CAN get better at it but that doesn't really make the game anymore enjoyable IMO.  I was actually very good at the n64 version but never invested the same time into melee.  These games simply aren't for classic fighter fans.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » September 20th, 2006, 7:51 pm

I also didn't really enjoy SSBM all that much.  I was psyched when I first got it and I played the hell out of it, but my biggest problem was finding people to play against.  None of my friends could stand to play it for more than a few minutes.  Fighting games come down to who you play them with.  Very few are enjoyable against the computer and the unpredictability of a human oppenent is and never will be matched by AI.  Since none of my friends enjoyed playing the game I eventually shelved it.  Don't get me wrong, I got decent at the game and I can appreciate the gameplay mechanics, but the game is not for everyone.

What Nintendo should have done was made this game a brilliant 2D fighter!  Imagine if SSBM was like Marvel vs Capcom 2.  A huge roster of Nintendo fighters with beautiful 2D sprites and "typical fighting game moves."  I really didn't like the overly simplified controls.  I have been doing "half circle foward" and "foward, down, down+foward" attacks since I've been about 8 or 9.  I think the kids of today could grasp that kind of stuff as well.  To me SSBM will always be a missed opportunity for Nintendo. 

If the next game is online I might pick it up.  If it isn't I will probably pass.

voorhiessa

Postby voorhiessa » September 20th, 2006, 10:24 pm

You can bet that it'll be online, which will be fantastic.  I can imagine teams getting pretty competitive.  Besides, like one writer said, SSBM has a HUGE following (and it's own jargon), and I wouldn't be suprised that after it hits online, it would become the biggest online game (even surpassing Halo 2).

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » September 21st, 2006, 4:39 am

Err guys Halo 2 is nowhere close to being the biggest online game.  Counterstrike has been the most popular online game for years.  The thing is is that fighters need really low lag to be playable, even lower than FPS games.  Nintendo has pretty much no experience of coding online games so how good the implementation will be is quite an issue. 

Not to mention that none of the developers have even been told anything about the online implementation for the Wii.  Yet they have already started work on the SSBB engine.  How can you design a game engine when you don't know the online system that you will be using?

Return to “Reader Reviews”