Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PS4)

The readers post their own reviews.
billydeethrilliamsX

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PS4)

Postby billydeethrilliamsX » May 21st, 2015, 2:12 am

Note: This game is download only.

A prequel to Wolfenstein: The New Order, and it's basically a remake of Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I actually found this to be better than the retail game. It's more streamlined, with barely any tedious sections in it (like those parts in New Order where you had to cut chicken wire or go on fetch quests in your hideout). It's more focused on the action, with very well designed environments. Yes, there is a stealth option a fair amount of the time, but it doesn't punish you for going in guns blazing (which I did for about 60% of the encounters).

The areas you visit are more foreboding and interesting than those found in New Order. The game itself has a slight horror edge to it, with the last quarter of the game featuring a very familiar enemy type. The gunplay still feels great, and all the violence is still intact. A couple new weapons have been added, and the perk system has been simplified. There are also a few new enemy types, as well as a couple boss encounters along the way. The nightmare levels make a return, and one can be found in each mission. There is no central hub area this time… thank god. This improves the pacing, as you race through the 6-8 hour runtime.

It's $20 on PSN. It reminds me of the more straightforward shooters I played on the original Xbox and PS2. That's a good thing.

BlasteroidAli

Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PS4)

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 4th, 2015, 10:25 am

Kill those Nazi scum...

Yeah I plan in getting this at some point.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » November 20th, 2015, 12:38 pm

I recently finished New Order on the PS3 but just bought a PS4 the other day. Can I buy Old Blood on the PS4 separately or does it need New Order to work?

billydeethrilliamsX

Postby billydeethrilliamsX » November 20th, 2015, 6:01 pm

No, it's a separate game. Also a disc version is now available as well. Definitely worth playing.

Return to “Reader Reviews”