Cooking Mama DS Review

The readers post their own reviews.
feilong801

Cooking Mama DS Review

Postby feilong801 » October 1st, 2006, 2:39 am

Anybody remember when the Chicago Bulls acquired Horace Grant?

How about when the Red Sox added Jason Veritek to the team?

Remember when Scotty Bowman, who has the coach and GM for the 1997 champion Detroit Red Wings, signed Chris Draper for literally one dollar?

These are all examples of the "low risk, high reward" scenario. Taking a small risk on a seemingly insignificant "thing," only to have it create a huge return. 

Uh, Rob, I hate to interrupt you, but this is a video game review.

Oh, yeah, sorry. Actually, I'm pontificating because my thoughts on Cooking Mama are quite simple. It's a unique game which is somewhat fun in small doses but is worth trying due to its $20 price tag. Okay, got it?

What I really wanted to write about, however, is how this is a "low risk, high reward" move for Majesco, who desperately needs a few of these. It is low risk because Cooking Mama is simply a translation of a Japanese DS game. Normally this type of game would get about as much attention in America as a health food store in Wisconsin, but Majesco wisely figured that the DS was becoming known for quirky game ideas, so they took small gamble.

Did it work? Well.....

The game opened up #1 on the sales charts, beating out a Mario game.

Wha!?!? WTF dude! Cooking is teh sux0r!

I like cooking, but I would agree that it is not a 733t thing to do with your gaming time. But Cooking Mama is actually pretty decent. Using the stylus to chop, mix, fry, stir, and other things to various plates of Japanese cuisine, I found it remarkable that this game actually imparts real knowledge on how to make the food that's on the menu. One could, conceivably, actually make the real deal based on the game's methods.

However, the game gets a bit old, as it was obviously meant to be played a few minutes at a time by (gamer stereotype alert!) little sisters and moms. Not saying that I was expecting Final Fantasy VII, but even Brain Age had certain things that kept you coming back for more. I could be biased, also, by "hard core gamer's disease," which translates into "a snobbery towards casual games." So take me thoughts with the appropriate salt grainage.

Anyways.... kudos to Majesco for essentially signing the gaming version of Tom Rathman and Bill Laimbeer into their lineup. A few more of these, and they can finally post a profitable quarter to their suffering stock holders.

Grade: C.

Shawn

Cooking Mama DS Review

Postby Shawn » October 1st, 2006, 10:00 am

Nice review. What is the DS going to do when people get tired of playing stupid mini-games? Not sure b/c that seems to be the only thing the system does well.

m0zart1

Cooking Mama DS Review

Postby m0zart1 » October 1st, 2006, 5:57 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

Nice review. What is the DS going to do when people get tired of playing stupid mini-games? Not sure b/c that seems to be the only thing the system does well.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... probably when people stop buying and enjoying them.

So far, I've played several epic games that the "system does well" -- and that is in addition to all of these fun little games that don't try to tell a story.

I don't want to bash any system, and I won't bash the PSP.  I'll just say that I don't find it very compelling.  I bought a PSP at Japanese launch, and I found very few original games I enjoyed playing.  I ended up selling my launch PSP about six months after buying it.

Now lately I've bought one again.  The reasons?  "Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins" and the "Silent Hill 0rigins".  How sad -- that I've had to buy a $200+ system TWICE for two games -- one that only came out recently, and one that won't come out until 2007.

It doesn't bother me at all that there are those who find other games on the PSP to be compelling, or even find the PSP to be a great system.  That's what I like about capitalism -- OPTIONS.  What does bother me is when someone acts all miffed off at the world when something like the DS actually does well.

sega saturn x

Cooking Mama DS Review

Postby sega saturn x » October 1st, 2006, 6:35 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

[/QUOTE]

I got tired of this kind of crap after wario touched, "hi concept" games suck all in all.  But the Ds has a lot of good "classic" style of games as well. 

feiliong80

Cooking Mama DS Review

Postby feiliong80 » October 1st, 2006, 9:32 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart][QUOTE=Shawn]

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... probably when people stop buying and enjoying them.

So far, I've played several epic games that the "system does well" -- and that is in addition to all of these fun little games that don't try to tell a story.

I don't want to bash any system, and I won't bash the PSP.  I'll just say that I don't find it very compelling.  I bought a PSP at Japanese launch, and I found very few original games I enjoyed playing.  I ended up selling my launch PSP about six months after buying it.

Now lately I've bought one again.  The reasons?  "Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins" and the "Silent Hill 0rigins".  How sad -- that I've had to buy a $200+ system TWICE for two games -- one that only came out recently, and one that won't come out until 2007.

It doesn't bother me at all that there are those who find other games on the PSP to be compelling, or even find the PSP to be a great system.  That's what I like about capitalism -- OPTIONS.  What does bother me is when someone acts all miffed off at the world when something like the DS actually does well.

[/QUOTE]

Very well said m0zart. I've said before that the industry does better as a whole when MORE things succeed, not less. I wouldn't mind if both Nintendo and Sony did great.

As to the discussion here, I have played a number of traditional type games that are well executed on the DS. Between Mario RPG, Advance Wars DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, New Super Mario Bros, Castlevania and others, there seem to be plenty of titles for the hardcore gamer.

I appreciate that new things are being attempted, however. I also appreciate how smart the business and marketing model has been for the DS- quirky, innovative titles (which may or may not have a real leg to stand on) generally come out at $20 bucks, while more surefire "hits" come out at $35.

-Rob

www.robhowardmusicproduction.com

www.robhowardshow2.blogspot.com

Adamant1

Cooking Mama DS Review

Postby Adamant1 » October 2nd, 2006, 1:00 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]
I got tired of this kind of crap after wario touched, "hi concept" games suck all in all.  But the Ds has a lot of good "classic" style of games as well. 
[/QUOTE]

Warioware didn't really work that well, due to most characters having way too similiar games. Ashley, Kat & Ana and Wario's games worked great, but the ohers were fairly meh (especially Mike's, which were all COMPLETELY identical).

Feel the Magic was much better.

Zenzerotron

Cooking Mama DS Review

Postby Zenzerotron » October 2nd, 2006, 3:00 pm

I live in Madison WI, and "organic" and "health food stores" are big business here. As are gyms, workout centers, and YMCA's.

I don't know where you got your stereotype from, but trust me, being a lifelong Wisconsinite...........it's really not true.

Yeah, alot of our women are hard to tell apart from our cows, but as far as guys.........we're all into working out and such.

Want a trutfull WI steretype?? hot, in-shape guys have to settle for fat girls!

sega saturn x

Cooking Mama DS Review

Postby sega saturn x » October 2nd, 2006, 5:49 pm

[QUOTE]Feel the Magic was much better.  [/QUOTE]

Not a chance, the games in feel the magic were much worse and went on forever.  Half of them weren't fun the first time let alone the third.

a1

Cooking Mama DS Review

Postby a1 » October 3rd, 2006, 2:52 am

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]
Want a trutfull WI steretype?? hot, in-shape guys have to settle for fat girls!
[/QUOTE]

You really ought to point out the part of his post, or at least who's post, that you are referring to. It took me forever to find the small analogy he used Wisconsin in.

Alienblue

Cooking Mama DS Review

Postby Alienblue » October 3rd, 2006, 6:08 am

Ok, you are dissing two of my favorite DS games here! I re-play Warioware and Feel the magic all the time, I love the mini games and I've spent more time, total, on those then New Super Mario Bros. (also a great game). It IS true that many of wariowares games repeat but so did the first GBA version! I think FTM is one of the most unique games ever, though the sequal was sad. Maybe you just don't like games that are collections of mini games? You are entitled to your opinion, though.

Return to “Reader Reviews”