Sonic Mega Coll./PS2

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

Sonic Mega Coll./PS2

Postby Alienblue » October 8th, 2006, 5:26 pm

SONIC MEGA COLLECTION PLUS / PS2 / B-

While I agree with the critic's assesment that this PS2 SMC+ is not quite as good as the gamecube version, I don't HAVE a Gamecube (my freind does) ; for me this is still sonic heaven.

First the good news. This really is a MEGA collection , with ALL of the Genesis Sonic games (including Dr.Robotniks Mean Bean Machine) and six of the Game gear Sonic Games. Add to that some unlockable games (Flicky, Comix Zone...) and plenty of extras like on-line instructions and a collection of comics and the Sonic Dark Team movie trailer, and this sez "PLAY VALUE!"

Now the bad news. Worst is the terrible audio. The Genesis and GG games are much quieter on PS2. Most games have decent audio conversion but for some reason (at least on my system) The first SONIC game randomly pops up with a bad hissing noise, making it unpleasant to play. The Game Gear sonics actually translated pretty well, but there were some odd choices. Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic Chaos are classics, but Sonic Drift is a bland racer, Sonic Labyrinth is a boring piball / platform hybrid and Sonic Blast is just a boring sonic with DK Country "claymation" characters. Why not Sonic 2 and Sonic and tails instead? Also, why a GG Mean Bean machine in ADDITION to the genesis version? Oh , and be prepared for lonnnnnggg button masing sesions to unlock anything- you must SAVE and LOAD literally HUNDREDS of times to unlock stuff! That's just nuts; a better unlockable idea would be after beating a game or a high score!

Still, if you don't have a Gamecube, this disc is well worth the $20 it currently goes for. Go Super SONIC!

a1

Sonic Mega Coll./PS2

Postby a1 » October 8th, 2006, 10:42 pm

All of the decent Game Gear Sonics (Triple Trouble, Sonic 2, Tails Adventure) were left off of this game and saved for Sonic Gems on Gamecube. I bet Sega could have fit them, and Sonic CD onto this collection, but they used them as a cheap ploy to make another, crappier collection. If Sonic Mega Collection had all of those games it would have been perfect. 

sega saturn x

Sonic Mega Coll./PS2

Postby sega saturn x » October 9th, 2006, 5:05 am

Gems is pretty terrible I know you dont have a cube but even if you did it wouldn't be worth it.  They would have to pay me to play those game gear games on a 32 inch tv again. 

Adamant1

Sonic Mega Coll./PS2

Postby Adamant1 » October 9th, 2006, 5:06 am

And all the Game Gear games were previously included in Sonic Adventure DX anyway, so Sonic Gems being GC exclusive in North America (It's not in Europe) makes little sense. "Here are Sonic CD, some crappy games we haven't rereleased before, and a bunch of games you probably already have. But this collection today!" Those GG games are more attratcive for those who bought Mega Collection + and missed out on them, not the GC crew who didn't even get the Plus version.

a1

Sonic Mega Coll./PS2

Postby a1 » October 9th, 2006, 2:50 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]And all the Game Gear games were previously included in Sonic Adventure DX anyway[/QUOTE]

Are they just given to you, or do you have to unlock them?  I'd consider buying that (not just for the Game Gear games, Sonic Adventure is alright, too) if I don't have to beat it 20 times with Tails to unlock Sonic Drift.

Atarifever1

Sonic Mega Coll./PS2

Postby Atarifever1 » October 12th, 2006, 2:14 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]SONIC MEGA COLLECTION PLUS / PS2 / B-
 Sonic Blast is just a boring sonic with DK Country "claymation" characters. [/QUOTE]
I wish that was true.  I don't much like anything about DK Country (except the awesome soundtrack), but even that is miles ahead of Sonic Blast.
What these collections do for me is make me think how sad it is that Sega pimps Sonic out so much.  Here's a collection that pimps out all of the games that he shouldn't have been in in the first place.  It's like beating a dead horse with another dead horse.  Sure there are a lot of good games there, but why remind us of all the junk.

Alienblue

Sonic Mega Coll./PS2

Postby Alienblue » October 13th, 2006, 1:41 am

As I said, the only GOOD Game gear games on here are Sonic one and Sonic Chaos. I thought it was pretty obvious in SONIC BLAST (a game I'd never HEARD of for GG before recently) is an attempt by sega to make sonic & Knuckles 3-D characters. It LOOKS cool on a static screen but the animation is god-awful, very SLOW... an 8-bit handheld couldn't really do these graphics well- so why even attempt it? Like the old Gameboy, Game gear games are often best when simplified a bit. Sonic one was simplified and came out MUCH better because of that.

Adamant1

Sonic Mega Coll./PS2

Postby Adamant1 » October 13th, 2006, 9:14 am

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=Adamant]And all the Game Gear games were previously included in Sonic Adventure DX anyway[/QUOTE]
Are they just given to you, or do you have to unlock them?  I'd consider buying that (not just for the Game Gear games, Sonic Adventure is alright, too) if I don't have to beat it 20 times with Tails to unlock Sonic Drift.
[/QUOTE]

You have to unlock them, but the method of unlocking doesn't suck as much as the one Mega Collection uses. I do't knoe if you've played the Sonic Adventure games before, but basically you get an emblem for beating a stage, and then you can access this stage via the stage select screen and attempt to beat it again, but this time the goal will be different (like "collect 100 rings" or "beat the stage within a fairly strict time limit") Each stage has a numbr of tasks like this (3 per level in the original, 5 in Sonic Adventure 2), and the game gives you a new emblem for completing these. There are also a couple minigames and stuff giving you emblems when you beat them, making for a total of 130 emblems in SA1 and 180 in SA2.
In SADX, you are given a new Game Gear game for every 20 emblems you collect. There's also a new Mission mode, where you run around the overworld finding "missions" (small tasks you have to complete within a time limit). There are 40 in total, and you unlock a new GG game for every 20 you beat. Yeah, mission mode is tedious, luckily you only unlock crappy games from it (Sonic Labyrinth and Sonic Spinball)

Zenzerotron

Sonic Mega Coll./PS2

Postby Zenzerotron » October 15th, 2006, 4:18 pm

"Gems" is only worth getting for Sonic CD and Sonic R.

The other games on "Gems" just plain stink.

What I'll always admire about "Sonic Mega Collection" is the fact it turned me onto "Ristar". I'd never know about this buried treasure otherwise.

a1

Sonic Mega Coll./PS2

Postby a1 » October 17th, 2006, 12:44 am

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]"Gems" is only worth getting for Sonic CD and Sonic R.

The other games on "Gems" just plain stink.

What I'll always admire about "Sonic Mega Collection" is the fact it turned me onto "Ristar". I'd never know about this buried treasure otherwise.

[/QUOTE]

Sonic 2 and Sonic: Triple Trouble for the Game Gear are on Gems, and both of them are worth playing. I think it also has Tails Adventure, which is possibly better than any of the Game Gear Sonic games. The fighting game sucks, though.

Return to “Reader Reviews”