Another World

The readers post their own reviews.
Videogameaddict

Another World

Postby Videogameaddict » August 17th, 2016, 12:06 pm

It was meant to be a routine experiment. You run the project, open a soft drink can and take gulps from it, waiting for the experiment to initiate. Suddenly lightning strikes and for a split second it seems that you have been blinked out of existence. You look around and instead find yourself in a place you have never been. You must fight your way past poisonous slugs, armed guards and spike traps to have a chance of ever emerging from this alien and inhospitable environment.
Welcome to Another World.

Beautifully rendered graphics capture the vast, cold atmosphere of this planet that the physicist Lester Knight Chaykin lands on through a freak accident. Gameplay is challenging but not so much that overcoming the obstacles of the game feels impossible. The player can relate to Lester since we are not told any more than he is; there is no health bar, hint button, map or list of objectives. Instead we must figure out the strange rules of this planet for ourselves. Sometimes shooting and running are the best solutions. Other times the answer lies in a subtler approach, such as using switches and walls to make enemy grenades backfire.

Boasting groundbreaking cinematic sequences, enjoyable platforming/shooting elements and a heartfelt conclusion, Another World is an essential experience for young and veteran gamers alike.

Originally released in 1991, the 20th Anniversary edition also includes an option for HD graphics, difficulty levels and remastered sound effects.

Luigi & Peach

Re: Another World

Postby Luigi & Peach » August 17th, 2016, 4:59 pm

Wasn't this also called "Out of this World?" It was a very different game, but one that I very much enjoyed on the Genesis. I just wish it had been a little longer at the time with a play time well under an hour once you figured everything out. Now I'd probably consider it a perfect length.

Sut

Postby Sut » August 18th, 2016, 11:29 am

Just recently played through this again on the Mega Drive, I also have the PS4 20th anniversary edition.

It truly is a unique experience, I heard someone once describe it as a playable Dragon's Lair with the trial and error style gameplay which sort of makes sense.

Interesting point about the length, once you've got it sussed bar a few tricky battles you can breeze through it. However the time needed to figure the screens out and the best strategy for each one can be lengthy. So if your going to play this game leave the FAQ's alone and you will get plenty of game time with Another World.

Nice review Videogameaddict.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 28th, 2016, 7:23 am

This is also available for the iPhone, and plays pretty well.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 2nd, 2016, 6:07 pm

Yes Luigi in North America it was called Out of This World. I thought it only on the pc and Sega Cd but I was wrong. There was a Genesis port. Groundbreaking for its time but also extremely hard and I never finished it. If you look up Daves Sega Cd reviews under Heart of the Alien/OOTW you will see it.

tortimer

Postby tortimer » September 3rd, 2016, 11:31 am

This is one of those games I'll never complete but always enjoy watching skilled players doing a run-through. Even more enjoyable as a non-speedrun as you get to see the occasional mistake (a quintessential part of the experience). I can still remember how intimidating it was to play this as a young person.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 5th, 2016, 8:10 pm

Was on a lot more than those. This was one of those games that appeared on most platforms when it was new and has been regularly rereleased in more recent years thanks to the rise of digital distribution. Has even appeared as an officially sanctioned port to the Jaguar, GBA, and likely other classic platforms that missed out on it originally in recent years.

I own the Super Nintendo version and enjoy it, although I've yet to master it.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » September 7th, 2016, 4:06 pm

It was enjoyable at release, and definitely blew everyone away, but it played rather clunkily (is that even a word?). I don't think games like this really hit their potential until Flashback and Oddworld came around.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 12th, 2016, 10:02 pm

I had it for the SNES. I really enjoyed the whole, "Well, that's a cool way to die" aspect of it. It seemed like every new screen gave you an opportunity to find a new death animation. The control wasn't super tight but once you knew what to do it was manageble. As a kid <SPOILERS>

the ending left one wanting more

<SPOILERS>

I think that's why I always wanted to try the sequel on the Sega CD (or was it the 3DO)?

Regardless, it was a great game and really pioneered cut scenes on consoles.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 5th, 2016, 6:04 pm

I have it for the 3DO, which looks beautiful. There were a lot of graphical changes made specifically for that version of the game, and it looks great. I played through it a few months ago, and it was amusing. It was a little unbalanced at times, and there was some obscure puzzle stuff that I had to look up. I remember renting this on the SNES when I was a kid, and being blown away by the cinematics.

Return to “Reader Reviews”