MEGAMAN X COLLECTION (PS2)

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 2nd, 2006, 12:45 pm

MEGAMAN X COLLECTION (PS2) C+

I find it odd the VGC has not reviewed MMX collection (or and MMX game I could find!) so here y' are. I know this is also available for Gamecube, ...possibly Xbox too?

At any rate I made a mistake here; I never liked Megama X - I THOUGHT this was a collection of the great NES Megaman games, I just saw "MM collection" and it was cheap so I bought it. I AM desperate for some 2-D PS2 games.

But then I remembered..."Megaman X"....Oh, crap. I remember first playing that game on the SNES a while back when I was in the hospital (they had a SNES and some games in the TV room), and also on a demo disc for my PC. I remembered how I could not get past the first stage, despite beating Megaman 2 (the BEST MM) in a week on the NES long ago. The stage was boring and the controls were stiff. This collection contains Megaman X 1 thru 6 plus an unlockable "Battle 'n chase" game. I had never played the others before, though so I hoped, maybe they were better...

Unfortunately, with one exception the MMX games didn't seem to get better, they just got more complex (moving from 16 to 32 bit) up till #5 where....well, more in a moment.

Megaman X one is a very dull platform shooter that pales next to MM, MM2 and MM3 on the old NES. The graphics of course are good, moving up to 16 bit but the bio-robotic enemies like giant robot cats, dragons, and rats are replaced by just plain ol' ROBOTS, very generic ROBOTS that shoot, stomp, drill or jump. MM's jump and shooting abilities seem weak compared to the old game. It just isn't very fun to me.

MM 2 and 3 are a bit better , but not by much. I'd say MM3 and 4 are by far the best with colorful graphics , a cool 32 bit animated opening and story, and the best control....but still
just damn DULL compared to the old NES MM I knew! 5 and 6 were released near the end of the PSone's life and are noticeably unispired and lacking and "extras".

I'm sure this series has it's fans, but I'm not one. I think Capcom really ruined the blue robot when they turned to 16 Bit- it IS harder, edgier, more "CONTRA" like, but lacks the cartoony ambience of the NES games. I WAS impressed by some of the Anime cartoon animation openings from the MM cartoon, but the games themselves lack the appeal, to me, of the simplier NES games.

If you DO like MegaManX (any one), this is surely a good investment (although the final 2 games are still terrible, so you'll likely be getting FOUR "good" X-games plus B&C, if you can unlock it. If, like me, you PLAYED any of the MMX games and did not like it, don't expect the others to be any better.

Me, I'm gonna keep looking for MM anniversary collection!

a1

Postby a1 » November 2nd, 2006, 10:43 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]

Me, I'm gonna keep looking for MM anniversary collection![/QUOTE]

Sucks that you picked up the wrong one in the first place. I didn't think the Mega Man X games were as bad as you seem to think, but I never liked them as much as the originals either. You will not be disappointed by MM anniversary collection. Even the bonus battle game is pretty fun. Just know that the Gamecube version (possibly the PS2 version) has the jump and shoot buttons swapped from where they were on NES; it takes a bit of time to get used to.

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » November 2nd, 2006, 11:03 pm

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » November 8th, 2006, 5:28 pm

I own Mega Man X4 and Mega Man X5 for PSone. Mega ManX5 was so bad, it made me stop buying/playing/liking Mega Man games forever.

But my feeling in general............the "X" series is the prime example of how you can try to add depth/spice/stragedy to a formula, but it ends up just making the game needlessly complex and it ruins the fun of everything.

On a side note..........if you want a good classic complation disc for your new PS2, the very first "Midway Treasures" simply cannot be beat. It's jam-packed with quality, "all killer, no filler" as they say. The first "Capcom Classics Collection" would be a close #2. You get the offical "Zen commands you to buy it"

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » November 8th, 2006, 8:24 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]I own Mega Man X4 and Mega Man X5 for PSone. Mega ManX5 was so bad, it made me stop buying/playing/liking Mega Man games forever. [/QUOTE]

Mega Man X6 is worse. And that is sad.

But hey, don't give up on Mega Man just because his recent X titles have been rather horrible - the Zero series for the GBA and the new Mega Man ZX (Or "Rockman Sex", as the japanese commercial dubbed it) for the DS are brilliant.

a1

Postby a1 » November 8th, 2006, 10:49 pm

The Mega Man X games aren't awful (at least 1-4, I never got to 5 and 6) they're just not up to the standard of the original 6. To be fair they're basically just the same games, but with a couple new features (wall jump, armor), and slightly worse level designs. X4 was pretty good even next to the old ones, though.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 9th, 2006, 5:55 am

...I may have reviewed this too quickly. When I first got it I really did not enjoy ANY game, but as of late I have been playing MEGAMN 3 & 4 a bit. I even made it through one level of Megaman 3 (the best game in the series in my opinion), and there was a mechanical DRAGON at the end (so much for my "only robots!" comment)! ...the graphics alone in MM 3 & 4 raise the collection a notch. Sadly, MM 5 & 6 keep the grade curve low; as I said these are bargain bin-titles released when PS2 was well on the market and PS1 was sinking. They are generic platformers with the MM name tacked on (the first stage of MM 5 looks identical to the old SNES Power Rangers!)....anyway I'll raise the grade to a C+; there IS a SMALL amount of fun to be had here with two of the six games (or 7 if you can ever unlock B&C!)

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » November 9th, 2006, 5:12 pm

The last Mega Man game that I really enjoyed was MM8. I liked the cartoonish look of the graphics, sort of like a Street Fighter Alpha thing. I also really felt that the cartoon cutscenes really added to the game, you wanted to see how the story turned out. I also love the "Mega Man, I can see into your mind" line at the ending cutscene, he sounded so Henry Rollins.

Alot of people complained that Mega Man talked like a little girl in the MM8 cartoon cutscenes, but I look at it this way..........it was a step-up from Mega Man's voice in the "Captain N" cartoons. In the Captain N cartoons, Mega Man talked like Popeye with diarrhea.

Mega Man X4 was was better then Mega Man X5. MMX5 had the most painfully boring and generic levels, and some of them were poory designed, making them too difficult. I recall one stage in MMX5 being this speeder-bike racing level, and you had to replay it over and over, to memorize where each jump&road hazard was. That was unacceptable game design, in my opinion.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 10th, 2006, 6:02 am

Oooops! I raised the grade from a C+ to a C+ !!??

I meant to say B-. Sorry for the typo. Seriously, If you like Megaman, MMX 3 and 4 are worth the 19.99 this disc goes for.

a1

Postby a1 » November 10th, 2006, 2:44 pm

The first two Mega Man X games weren't awful; they just weren't quite up to the standards of the original series. None of the Mega Man X games were, though.

Return to “Reader Reviews”