Wrestling Game Reviews by Rockofhysteria

The readers post their own reviews.
rockofhysteria

Re: Wrestling Game Reviews by Rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » October 31st, 2016, 3:46 am

Ok Folks Time for my 2nd wrestling game review and for this one I'm going to do IMO hands down the best licensed wrestling game of the 8 bit era now I know that's not saying very much lol but just go with me here. I present WWF Wrestlemania Challenge for the NES released in 1990 This game was Developed by Rare and Published in North America by LJN

This was the 2nd WWF game for home consoles after the Steaming Pile of Crap that is WWF Wrestlemania. This game is a step up in every single way and best of all unlike it's older brother it's actually FUN to play.

First lets start with the graphics the first games graphics were mediocre at best with dark colors that didn't really suit a wrestling game. The graphics in this game are much more detailed and much brighter. The Sprites for the wrestlers are much better made and way more detailed than on the first game and each wrestler has their real attire so no more red tights on Hulk Hogan. The Ring looks great and it is presented in a Isometric view which would become very popular in later years in the Fire Pro Wrestling Series.

The sound is also greatly improved compared to the first game the wrestlers themes sound a lot better along with the sound effects in General.

The Gameplay is you guessed it much much better than the first game. Everyone can slam each other and they introduced the ability to come off the top rope. Now mind you that tactic isn't very well done in this game but hey you can't have everything back in 1990. The moves are easy to perform for the most part and attempting a pin is a snap here unlike in the first game. Each wrestler also has a signature move as well which the first game did not have for instance you can do Rick Rude's Rude Awakening move, Brutus Beefcake's Sleeper Hold and so forth. You can even pick your opponent up and throw them out of the ring.

There are also more game modes in this game that aren't in the 1st game you can do Singles Matches of course and a Gauntlet of sorts where you play a generic character called YOU and you work your way through the roster to win the WWF Championship. Now added you can do Tag Team matches as well which is pretty cool and my personal favorite the Survivor Series Match which is 3 on 3 elimination style. All modes play pretty good the only complaint I have is you can only play as the Generic YOU character in the Gauntlet mode.

The last thing I will touch on is the Roster which is expanded to 9 Wrestlers 8 of the top WWF stars of the time and the Generic YOU Character you get Hulk Hogan of Course and Macho King Randy Savage, and Andre The Giant then you get newcomers Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Brutus The Barber Beefcake The Big Boss Man, Ravishing Rick Rude and The Ultimate Warrior who stars in the Awesome Looking title screen for the game. Great limited roster here of nothing but All time greats and the Generic Character.

When this game came out WWF fans loved it of course and it was a far far superior effort to the first game. It also might make you think that maybe this could be the start of a string of great WWF games to come for the NES. Well sadly that was just wishful thinking but I will save that for future reviews. This is without a doubt the peak of 8 bit home console wrestling gaming.

Graphics/A-

Sound/B

Gameplay/B+

Roster/A

Overall grade is B+/A- take it how you want lol not good on averages.

That's it for this review sometime later this week I will do another review most likely the NES classic Pro Wrestling.

Tron

Postby Tron » November 2nd, 2016, 9:28 pm

Nice reviews.

I loved Pro Wrestling (NES) & was thrilled when Wrestlemania came out. I bought it right away. Huge mistake! That game sucked so bad. I'd give it an F, especially since Pro Wrestling came out before it. Ever since then I've hated Aklaim. I still hold a grudge against them. I almost didn't even try NBA Jam (SNES) after seeing that they were distributing it, even though I loved the arcade game. I will concede they did a pretty good job with NBA Jam, but I still hate them.

Hopefully you get to Fire Pro Wrestling (GBA), my favorite wrestling game.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » November 3rd, 2016, 2:28 am

Tron wrote:Nice reviews.

I loved Pro Wrestling (NES) & was thrilled when Wrestlemania came out. I bought it right away. Huge mistake! That game sucked so bad. I'd give it an F, especially since Pro Wrestling came out before it. Ever since then I've hated Aklaim. I still hold a grudge against them. I almost didn't even try NBA Jam (SNES) after seeing that they were distributing it, even though I loved the arcade game. I will concede they did a pretty good job with NBA Jam, but I still hate them.

Hopefully you get to Fire Pro Wrestling (GBA), my favorite wrestling game.

Thanks Bro if I do a review of a Fire Pro game most likely it will be Fire Pro Wrestling Returns for the PS2 that is the only game in that series I invested meaningful time into but I will try and find the Gamy Boy Advance Rom of that game for you and give it a shot.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » November 3rd, 2016, 11:02 am

you should also check out wrestlemania: the arcade game. It was on a lot of consoles during the mid 90's, such as genesis, 32x, ps1, and SNES. I have it for ps1 and SNES. The SNES version feels a little dumbed-down, but the ps1 version definitely feels like an arcade game. It has a ton of over the top moves and kind of feels like a 2d fighter.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » November 3rd, 2016, 3:10 pm

CharlieR wrote:you should also check out wrestlemania: the arcade game. It was on a lot of consoles during the mid 90's, such as genesis, 32x, ps1, and SNES. I have it for ps1 and SNES. The SNES version feels a little dumbed-down, but the ps1 version definitely feels like an arcade game. It has a ton of over the top moves and kind of feels like a 2d fighter.

I fully plan on reviewing that game I had it for Sega Genesis and PS1 plus played the hell out of it at the Arcade.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » November 4th, 2016, 6:12 pm

well folks it's friday and I'm currently on a plane to Mexico for the weekend where I'll be wrestling both Satuday Night and Sunday Afternoon and to pass the time I'm going to do my 3rd wrestling game review. For this one I'm going to do a True NES Classic and to this day still one of the most fun wrestling games to play. I present Pro Wrestling for the NES. This brilliat game was designed by Masato Masuda Developed by Human Entertainment and Published by Nintendo and released in North America in 1987

The first Pro wrestling game of the 8 bit era is also one of the best. Masuda and Nintendo did a great job on this game and it really shows in the finished product. This game boasts great looking graphics, Good Sound, Great Gameplay and while there are no actual real life wrestlers in this game a great roster of different characters.

Let's start with the graphics They are great with lots of detail and very bright and vibrant from the great looking ring to the Sprites of the wrestlers to the animated crowd and even two commentators at Ringside even the Referee in the game looks good.The sprites possess a lot of detail and depth which was sometime hard to come by in 8 bit games and greatly appreciated when it exists.

The sound is good in this game as well from the Backround music during matches to the sounds of the moves the sound of the crowd really adds to the atmosphere as well.

The Gameplay of this game is Superb to say the least each wrestlers have a few moves that they share but also some exclusive moves and unlike early WWF games you can run off the ropes and hit clotheslines and flying dropicks which is pretty awesome for a 80;s video game. The moves are easy to learn and easy to pull off including pinning your opponent. Now as for game modes this is Bare Bones but it doesn't really hurt the overall experience there is a one player mode where you pick a wrestler and go through the roster on your way to a title match against the Champion then you defend the belt once you win it by beating the roster again. There is also a two player mode so you can battle your friends. No Tag Matches in this mode sadly but not really a gripe just would have been nice.

Lastly The Roster like I mentioned earlier this game has no real life wrestlers in it but the roster is still great andmemorable.You have Fighter Hayabusa which considering the game was made in Japan and on his look and moveset is most likely modeled after Japanese Wrestling IcON and WWE Hall of Famer Antonio Inoki. You Have Starman who is basically a Luchador in a cool looking Costume. Great Panther who with his tan body and blond hair some think might be loosely based on Hulk Hogan who was a Great Star in Japan as well as in the US. You have King Korn Karn a Mongolian monster Heel looking character. The Odd looking Amazon who looks like the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Then you have the VWA Champion King Slender who looks and plays like Kerry Von Erich. You also have Great Puma who is the final Boss in the game you wrestle him by winning the VWA title and then defending the title against all the other wrestlers then you go to a bout with him with you title and his titl the VWF title on the line.

Overall this is a game that still holds up in 2016 great fun to play and easy to pick up and play and set the standard for Pro Wrestling games on the home consoles. If you haven't played this game you need to if you like me pumped endless hours into it over the years you know how great this game still is.

Graphics-B+

Souns-A

Gameplay-A+

Roster A+

Overall Grade is an A for me and remember folks A Winner is YOU.

Next up I will jump ahead and review WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade Game sometime next week.

Tron

Postby Tron » November 5th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Nice review of Pro Wrestling. Easily an "A" game. My favorite NES wrestler. Fighter Hayabusa is my favorite. The back brain kick was challenging to pull off, but so much fun. King Slender's easy to pull off back breaker is number 2. King Corn Karn, what a great name, with his unique kicks and chops is 3. Number 4 is Star Man with his Flying Cross. Panther and Amazon are last.

did you ever beat Puma? He's a bad mutha.

As fire as Fire Pro Wrestling goes they are all pretty much the same. The PS2 is probably the best version, but I just stuck with GBA version since I maxed out the created wrestlers you can make. I think I made over 100 wrestlers. Whatver the max is I reached it.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » November 19th, 2016, 3:35 pm

Ahhhh a weekend off from wrestling :) glad to have a weekend to rest so why not do another game review. For this review I will review WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade game. This game was released for The Arcade,Sega Genesis,Super Nintendo,32X Playstation 1,DOS,and Sega Saturn. And was made by The Arcade version was Developed and Published by Midway Games The console versions were developed by Sculptured Software and Published by Acclaim.

In The early to mid 90's Midway was one of the Top Game Developers in the business with their Digitized Graphics and Over the Top Game Play most evident in The Legenday Mortal Kombat games. I don't know who's Idea it was whether it was the WWF or Midway but someone said hey let's do a wrestling game and thus WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade game was born.

Before this game came along Pro Wrestling games were very simple to say the least simple Grahics,Simple Gameplay,Not too much innovation really. But Midway had other ideas for this game they decided to treat this game as a true 1 on 1 fighting game with Over The Top Moves and cool special effects with their trademark digitized graphics and it all melds together to create a great package. Ok let's break this game down.

Graphics-This games Graphics blew away every other wrestling game at the time with it's digitized graphic this was the first wrestling game with Realistic looking sprites of your favorite WWF Superstars. The ring itself looks great as well with it's digitized look same goes for the crowd and basically the entire game down to the menu screen all look so great compared to it's competition at the time. Another funny part of the game is how each wrestler Bleeds Objects associated with it's character like Bret Hart Bleeds Hearts and Yokozuna bleeds Food. Pretty funny stuff there.

Sound - Wrestling games weren't known for quality sound at this time and really still aren't lol but this game's sound was pretty good for the time. Now it's not the first wrestling game to have commentary in it(that would be WCW Superbrawl for the SNES) But it's the first to do it well. You get Vince Mcmahon calling the franctic fast paced action in this game and it sounds good and adds to the atmophere of the game. The Sound effects themselves for the game while not really great is still pretty good for the time.

Gameplay-The Gameplay of this game is truly innovative for the Genre with Over the top moves tailored to each WWF Wrestler and it looks great like The Undertaker releasing the Hounds of Hell on his Opponent or Lex Luger protruding Steel out of his forearm and knocking the hell out of his opponent or Doink The Clown Electrocuting his opponents with a Joy Buzzer lol just good ole over the top fun. Of course there are also traditional wrestling moves like Slams and Suplexes,And the like Each Wrestler has one or more of their signature movies like Razor Ramon's Razor's Edge, The control scheme is isn't simple yet it's not complex either there is a learning curve to it but it's not really steep at all IMO.The Single player mode is bascially two option Intercontinental Title mode and WWF Championship mode where you basically run a gauntlet of beating the other wrestlers in the game to win the belt very similar to MK actually including having to do 2 on 1 fights toward the end.No Tag Matches or any other matches really which some might complain about but IMO it's a good thing for this game.

Roster -ok this is where things get complicated because some versions of the game omit wrestlers from the original Arcade game so let's start with the full roster of the Arcade Game You get the following WWF Superstars Bret The Hitman Hart,Shawn Michaels,The Undertaker,Razor Ramon,Lex Luger,Bam Bam Bigelow,Yokozuna and Doink The Clown.The Genesis and 32X versions have the full Roster but eh Super Nintendo version does not it omits Bam Bam Bigelow and Yokozuna,all the other versions have full reosters as well. Don't know why the SNES version doesn't have the full roster but it is definately a let down and makes it the weakest version as a result.

Well folks that's it for this review of WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade Game Lets recap

Graphics-A+

Sound-A

Gameplay-A+

Roster-A+

So final grade is a A+

Now for the burning question which version is the best. Well obviously the Arcade version is the best version but for Home Consoles IMO The PS1 version is the best it retains everything from the Arcade version and thanks to the power of the PS1 the digitzed graphics of the agme for that console looks the closest to the Arcade. The Weakest version is clearly the SNES version mostly because it didn't have the full roster of wrestlers.

Up Next well I'm not really sure yet lol I'm thinking either WWF King of the Ring for the NES or maybe Jump ahead again and do one of the WCW vs NWO N64 games. Either way I will try and do it sometime this coming week.

Enjoy folks.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » January 15th, 2017, 9:43 am

Love reading your wrestling game reviews Rockofhysteria! Keep 'em coming!

Would love to read your review of WWF King of the Ring, and maybe some of the odd-ball titles like Tag-team Wrestling and M.U.S.C.L.E. on the NES. Thumbs up!

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » January 15th, 2017, 2:59 pm

AtariToday wrote:Love reading your wrestling game reviews Rockofhysteria! Keep 'em coming!

Would love to read your review of WWF King of the Ring, and maybe some of the odd-ball titles like Tag-team Wrestling and M.U.S.C.L.E. on the NES. Thumbs up!

Thanks Bro I've been so busy with wrestling the last several weeks haven't had time to do any more but I will definately be getting at least one done this week and it will be WWF King of The Ring for the NES I'm thinking of also doing Super Wrestlemania and maybe WCW Wrestling for the NES as well

Return to “Reader Reviews”