Wrestling Game Reviews by Rockofhysteria

The readers post their own reviews.
rockofhysteria

Wrestling Game Reviews by Rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » October 28th, 2016, 9:20 am

Hello folks I'm new here obviously and I am a avid gamer of all types of Genres but my forte is Wrestling games I'm a wrestling fanatic every since I was 4 years old and saw Hulk Hogan in the WWF :) I've also been a independent wrestler ever since my 15th birthday. In this Thread I'm going to be posting my reviews of different Pro Wrestling games for many different systems throughout the years both liscensed games like WWF Wrestlemania for the NES(this will be the first game I review) and games like the Nintendo made Pro Wrestling as well.

I hope you enjoy my reviews and if there is a wrestling game you specifically want me to review feel free to post the request here.

rockofhysteria

Re: Wrestling Game Reviews by Rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » October 28th, 2016, 9:52 am

Ok time for my first wrestling game review and I will start off with WWF Wrestlemania for the NES

http://postimg.org/image/j5xh5w3pr/

This game came out at a time when Hulkamania was at it's peak along with the WWF(now WWE) it was to my knowledge the first WWF video game on a Home Console and at the time for young Nintendoites who loved the WWF it made a splash. The game was made by Acclaim who would make a whole plethura of other wrestling titles in the years to come.

First lets start with the graphics for the time the graphics for this game were pretty cool looking even today the opening screen with the picture of Hulk Hogan doing his Legendary Shirt Rip is so awesome to see. It also includes the Tagline from Wrestlemanis 3 Bigger Better Badder. Unfortunately that's as good as the graphics get lol. When you get to the wrewtler select screen it goes down the drain the pics of the wrestlers look hilariously bad especially the picture of the Honky Tonk Man. In match graphics look ok though I do question some color choices most noticeable Hulk Hogan's Red Trunk and Boots

As for sound there isn't much to it here obviously though the themes of some wrestlers do play in the backround during matches depending on who you pick.

The gameplay of this game is quite frankly atrocious I would even consider it broken each wrestler only has 1 or 2 moves other than punches and kicks only certain wrestlers like Andre The Giant can slam people and none of them have their Finishing moves so no Hogan Leg Drops or Macho Man Elbows. If you wrestler is getting low on health a Icon representing them will float across the top of the screen but it really doesn't help and don't get me started on Pinning lol it's such a pain in the butt to pin someone I once spent 30 minutes trying to pin someone before finally doing it.

The only place where this game scores high for me is the Roster. The Wrestlers in this game were the top stars in the WWF at the time and all are considered all time greats to this day. You get Hulk Hogan of Course and Andre The Giant, Macho Man Randy Savage, The Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase, The Honky Tonk Man and The Beast from the East Bam Bam Bigelow Slim pickings for sure compared to games now but a great roster for the time none the less.

Overall this game is complete crap but at the time WWF fans loved it because they could finally play out their wrestling fantasies in video game form and it started WWE's long run of Video games that continue to this very day.

Overall Grade is a C only because of the Roster and it was the very first WWF game on a home console.

Ok folks that's it for my first review next up I will do WWF Wrestlemania Challenge for the NES I will either do it later today or tomorrow hope you enjoyed this.
Last edited by rockofhysteria on October 28th, 2016, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

scotland

Postby scotland » October 28th, 2016, 9:59 am

I grew up watching wrestling on television. This was a bit before WWF/WWE days, when wrestling was a bit more regional. I watched "Georgia Championship Wrestling", hosted by Gordon Solie, with such luminaries as Dusty Rhodes The American Dream, Mr Wrestling II, Nature Boy Ric Flair and Rowdy Roddie Piper.

I did play Epyx's Championship Wrestling on the 8 bit computers quite a bit back in the day. My N64 gets some wrestling fun too, but in between those times I seemed to have switched mostly to boxing games for this type of entertainment. Nice thing about reviews, reader or The Critic's, is how they prompt you to pop in a game and see how it compares to the review. Looking forward to seeing what you review. The community here runs the spectrum (no pun intended) from Pong to PS4, so have at it.

Edits and Friendly Advice:
    You can embed images using either the "Img" button above or as an attachment. You don't need to use a link.
    Using paragraphs and spaces are nice, but I think you double spaced a bit much
    You have a lot of run on sentences. See the sentence after your picture link for an example.
    Look for the squiggly red underlines for misspellings.
    I would avoid vague descriptors like 'broken', 'atrocious', 'pretty cool', etc. Certainly you can spice up the review with phrases like "Its awesome that...", but descriptions need to be more mechanical to make much sense. What's cool to one person, is lame to another. However, we can all agree on how many colors a sprite has, is there flicker, is there lag, the collision detection, etc. Can you see the difference? Help me out here, forum.

Since you plan on a set of reviews, why not build yourself a template and a style? This way, you can compare gameplay, graphics, sound, etc more appropriately across the reviews.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » October 28th, 2016, 10:02 am

scotland wrote:I grew up watching wrestling on television. This was a bit before WWF/WWE days, when wrestling was a bit more regional. I watched "Georgia Championship Wrestling", hosted by Gordon Solie, with such luminaries as Dusty Rhodes The American Dream, Mr Wrestling II, Nature Boy Ric Flair and Rowdy Roddie Piper.

I did play Epyx's Championship Wrestling on the 8 bit computers quite a bit back in the day. My N64 gets some wrestling fun too, but in between those times I seemed to have switched mostly to boxing games for this type of entertainment. Nice thing about reviews, reader or The Critic's, is how they prompt you to pop in a game and see how it compares to the review. Looking forward to seeing what you review. The community here runs the spectrum (no pun intended) from Pong to PS4, so have at it.

Edits:
You can embed images using either the "Img" button above or as an attachment. You don't need to use a link.

I tried the img thing and it didn't work for some reason lol. and thanks for the reply I grew up in the WWF and WCW days but I also have seen a ton of Georgia and Florida and Crockett stuff and enjoyed it all :)

scotland

Postby scotland » October 28th, 2016, 10:13 am

If you don't want to use the button, the code is really simple. its {img} link {/img} except replace the curly braces with regular brackets on the same key. If I type it with the regular brackets, the bbs software will interpret it, so that's the best I can do. You'll see it when you hit the 'Img' key.

You figured out how to quote, so that's great. I don't mind if you edit the comment and just quote what you are referencing and not the whole comment.

I was editing my own response when you replied, so you can see the other comments. All friendly editing advice. The run on sentences and vague descriptors can make readers lose interest quickly, so that would be my main advice. Other folks here are always happy to help. There are several who have written excellent reviews, beside The Critic who has written more than I could even count since 1999.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » October 28th, 2016, 10:32 am

scotland wrote:If you don't want to use the button, the code is really simple. its {img} link {/img} except replace the curly braces with regular brackets on the same key. If I type it with the regular brackets, the bbs software will interpret it, so that's the best I can do. You'll see it when you hit the 'Img' key.

You figured out how to quote, so that's great. I don't mind if you edit the comment and just quote what you are referencing and not the whole comment.

I was editing my own response when you replied, so you can see the other comments. All friendly editing advice. The run on sentences and vague descriptors can make readers lose interest quickly, so that would be my main advice. Other folks here are always happy to help. There are several who have written excellent reviews, beside The Critic who has written more than I could even count since 1999.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the brackets lol I'm kinda Illitterate when it comes to comute things like that.

But thanks for the criticisms I will try and do better when I get to my next review.

scotland

Postby scotland » October 28th, 2016, 11:02 am

Happy to help when I can.

If you don't mind, I went ahead and added in the image of Hulk Hogan. You can still see the link, but now the image is there.

If you edit the post, you'll see what the code looks like. If you get just the word 'image', its usually because you linked a page instead of the actual image. Make sure the link ends in .jpg or .png or some other image format.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » October 28th, 2016, 2:06 pm

scotland wrote:Happy to help when I can.

If you don't mind, I went ahead and added in the image of Hulk Hogan. You can still see the link, but now the image is there.

If you edit the post, you'll see what the code looks like. If you get just the word 'image', its usually because you linked a page instead of the actual image. Make sure the link ends in .jpg or .png or some other image format.

Thanks so much Bro I really appreciate it I'm going to do the 2nd review later today hope you enjoy it.

scotland

Postby scotland » October 28th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Please consider slowing down the pace you post reviews. The volume of traffic here is not high enough to support too much reader review material. This is an awesome community, but its very much quality over quantity as far as membership goes.

If you want to have productive discussions about your reviews and the games, and that's why you are here and not putting them on a blog, then let the community have a chance to see and consider each review before posting another. I would suggest letting the community have at least 2 days before you post a new one.

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » October 29th, 2016, 11:00 am

Wrestlemania also had unbalanced character issues. Depending on the character you used, it could be almost impossible to beat the game. Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase was the weakest playable character by a wide margin. It was a lot easier to finish the game using Hogan or Bam Bam Bigelow.

Also Andre the Giant was the most difficult character to beat in the game but he wasn't that strong when you were playing as him. They definitely nerfed him a little when he was used by a human player.

Return to “Reader Reviews”