The 360

The readers post their own reviews.
ActRaiser1

The 360

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 26th, 2006, 11:35 pm

Dude, you're a jack ass.  That's like someone reviewing the PS2 based off of Fantavision alone.  WTF?  How about trying a good game, such as, Gears of War, Geometry Wars, or Oblivion? 

As for the system itself you seemed to have overlooked its awesome multimedia capabilities as an MP3 player, ability to watch movies, play demos, enjoy xbox live arcade games, and upscale games to 1080i.  Upscaling is something your PS3 can't do.   Lastly, I don't know what you're smoking when it comes to the controller but it works flawlessly.  Throw in a rechargable battery pack with the play and charge kit if you can't swap out batteries quickly enough.

mathematician

The 360

Postby mathematician » November 27th, 2006, 6:41 pm

I don't think I should have to base my review on highly recommended games. That would be reviewing only the best of what the system has to offer, that's a very partial and unfair review. Most of you found my review to be negative and responded negatively, which is expected. I took the review somewhat seriously and formed my own opinions. I don't care what anyone else thinks or says about the system, If I did that would interfere with my ability to form a clear and unbiased review.

The 360 is no doubt an improvement over the previous system, but I am disappointed overall, I guess I was expecting more. Its as simple as that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The 360

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 27th, 2006, 6:45 pm

[QUOTE=mathematician]
I don't think I should have to base my review on highly recommended games. That would be reviewing only the best of what the system has to offer, that's a very partial and unfair review.
[/QUOTE]

Well, if reviewing the system based on its best games is unfair, wouldn't it also be unfair to judge it on its worst games?  If you judged the Atari 2600 on Video Olympics alone, you might get the impression the system could only do Pong games.

mathematician

The 360

Postby mathematician » November 27th, 2006, 7:13 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Well, if reviewing the system based on its best games is unfair, wouldn't it also be unfair to judge it on its worst games?
[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct VGC. But I was not looking for bad games, I walked into a video store and got 6 random games off the shelf. That is a fair review. In my review I stated some games had respectable graphics and some had the same quality as the PS2.

I wouldn't recommend spending $500+ on the 360 just yet.

a1

The 360

Postby a1 » November 27th, 2006, 8:40 pm

[QUOTE=mathematician]

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Well, if reviewing the system based on its best games is unfair, wouldn't it also be unfair to judge it on its worst games?
[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct VGC. But I was not looking for bad games, I walked into a video store and got 6 random games off the shelf. That is a fair review. In my review I stated some games had respectable graphics and some had the same quality as the PS2.

I wouldn't recommend spending $500+ on the 360 just yet.

[/QUOTE]

Personally, I don't want to spend the money to get a 360 either, as the only games I want are Sneak King and Gears of War (Ooe of those is $4 at Burger King guess which). However, I don't think you approached the review in the right way. If I went into a store and bought 6 PS2 games I would be lucky to come out with one that I liked. You don't necessarily have to review it by its best game, but you need to read some game reviews and find what's good. If the systems best games are in genres you don't like, or if they aren't as great as everyone says, then you can give the system a bad review. I would think it's pretty hard to review a system before the next generation comes out, though.

sega saturn x

The 360

Postby sega saturn x » November 27th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Well christ math maybe you would have been better off picking games you KNEW were good.  And what game were you playing that could have been done on the ps2?

mathematician

The 360

Postby mathematician » November 27th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Actraiser is right, I failed to overlook its "awesome" multimedia capabilities. So let me add to the good things about the 360, it can play DVD's.  And, for only (4) easy payments of $24.99 it can play HD DVD's. Also for only (2) easy payments of $14.91 you can get the charging kit, plus (1) easy payment of $11.99 (per battery) it comes with a battery to charge.

So lets get this straight, what is the actual combined cost of a decent 360 setup that can play HD movies? My figures show $591.79 USD, and that's still without any games and only 2 controllers. More expensive then the larger 20GB PS3, about the same as a 60GB PS3.

Also, what is this nonsense about upscaling Actraiser?

a0

The 360

Postby a0 » November 28th, 2006, 12:00 am

[QUOTE=mathematician]

Also, what is this nonsense about upscaling Actraiser?

[/QUOTE]

If you have a tv that is only capable of 480i, 480p, and 1080i, 720p games are upscaled to 1080i. On PS3 they are downscaled to 480p.

mathematician

The 360

Postby mathematician » November 28th, 2006, 1:29 am

I see a0, are you related to a by any chance? Just asking. Well to be terribly honest its really a matter of quality versus quantity. 720p is 720 lines of progressive scan, 1080i is only 540, so it would make sense to downsize to 480p then to risk the quality by upscaling to 1080i, its just 2 different ways of thinking. Both have there advantages and disadvantages. All I know is I like a 1080p, but don't really wanna spend 7K on it.

bluemonkey1

The 360

Postby bluemonkey1 » November 28th, 2006, 3:02 am

Some examples of utter fallacies in your article:

1.  The $400 console does come with a game - Hexic HD - one of the best puzzle games I have played.

2.  It is a headset, not headphones - this has nothing to do with the noise and is instead to let you chat online.  The clue that they aren't headphones is how there's only one speaker.

3.  Not all games require updates.

4.  The 360 is significantly quieter than the XBox and practically runs silent when playing DVDs.

5.  If you have trouble removing the batteries you must have complete monkey hands.

6.  It does have awesome multimedia capabilities.  Most people I know have all their music stored on their computer.  You can stream this music to the 360 and replace any music track on any game.  The music will play seamlessly through any loading screens and will pick up where it left off even when changing games.  It is an excellent feature.  The 360 also has the best music visualiser ever made, including the PC.  I have spent hours watching it.  You can also stream videos from your PC.

7.  The controllers are no more expensive than any other system's.

8.  The only game with small text is Dead Rising and I can even read that fine on my standard def TV.

9.  The graphics on Table Tennis are far better than "respectable."

But whatever, this was blatantly a trolling thread.

Return to “Reader Reviews”