Jurassic Park - The Lost World (PS1/Action)

The readers post their own reviews.
pacman000

Jurassic Park - The Lost World (PS1/Action)

Postby pacman000 » August 13th, 2017, 8:27 pm

HOW LONG IS THE 3RD LEVEL OF THIS STUPID (albeit, well-crafted,) GAME???

Alright, I'll be a bit more serious. I picked this up a few weeks ago, because I wanted a game about dinosaurs, because Jurassic Park games usually aren't bad, and because it just looked cool. I've had fun with it, but it is very challenging; the 1st few levels are as difficult as some of the last levels of Crash Bandicoot! Playing as one of several dinosaurs (or a human in a few levels) you must make your way across an island by running, jumping, and fighting other dinosaurs. I haven't even made it past the 3rd level; as I said before this game is HARD.

The graphics are on par with Crash, tho in this game movement's restricted to a 2D plane with a few branching paths. That disappointed me; the package promised a fully 3D environment. There are few clipping problems, and it looks like the developers used one of the PS1's higher resolution graphics modes. There are some points where foreground elements (bushes, trees, whatever) block your view. Sometimes that creates an added challenge (is a raptor hiding behind that bush?) It can be annoying, however, when you can't see yourself when trying to hop onto a narrow ledge.

There are a lot of tricky jumps in this game and falling a great distance will cost you health. It really hurts to jump off a platform, land, then loose a bunch of health because the game decided you jumped too far. I suppose it's more realistic, but it's not fun, and it doesn't seem fair when you were just trying to hop over a raptor who's parked at the bottom of the cliff.

Enemies are dumb. They're programed to chase you, but they can't handle most environmental obstacles. You can stand on one side of a tree root and watch a raptor walk towards you forever. It'll never realize that it has to jump over the root. Enemies can also be tricked into jumping off cliffs fairly easily. I guess they aren't good at the game's jumps either. Silly, but useful.

This game is hard. There's nothing wrong with that. It's good to be challenged from time to time. Arcade games were hard; they provided a good challenge, but they had short levels. The first two levels of this game aren't that bad; they're challenging, but short, like a good arcade game. The third level is long. It's challenging, but it wears out its welcome. Still, I'll probably play this again. I want to beat it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Jurassic Park - The Lost World (PS1/Action)

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 17th, 2017, 5:52 pm

You're bringing back a lot of memories with this review. I remember wanting to love this game so bad, but the first few stages were so tedious. Only the promise of eventually controlling a T-Rex kept me going.

Return to “Reader Reviews”