Resident Evil 7 - PSVR

The readers post their own reviews.
JWK

Resident Evil 7 - PSVR

Postby JWK » September 6th, 2017, 11:59 am

Like many here, I'm a classic "retro" gamer. A game is best played with a controller and no gimmicks. When the PS4 accessory VR headset was announced, I remember rolling my eyes and mentioning to a couple friends that I hoped it failed so devs could just get back to creating traditional games for the PS4. So, the last thing I expected was Resident Evil 7 to be the Playstation VR's proof of concept.

I recently had a weekend getaway with a couple buddies. We played some basketball, watched some movies, but the purpose of the trip was to play video games. One friend of mine has the PSVR and I had played it once before. I came away from that experience finding it "ok," being most impressed with the on-rail shooters (Until Dawn) and Rez. I purchased RE7 in anticipation of the trip, because even if it was a terrible VR experience, I still wanted the game.

Let me tell you, this is the one game I think everyone here *must* try in VR. RE7 is a great game on its own-- I personally found the VGC's rating too low-- but played in VR, it turns the game into a must play. Yes, the visuals take a little bit of a hit compared to playing it on an Hd set, but it's not as much as you'd think. The graphics still look pretty amazing and if you wear headphones, prepare yourself for one of the most immersive and intense gaming experiences of your life.

I don't want to dive too much into the game itself, as the Critic did a great job going over that. Yes, it's a scary Konami's PT-inspired, first person horror game. But it goes from being scary to horrifying if you play in VR. Both of my buddies refused to play more than about 20 minutes because of how frightening it was. The bosses are huge on the screen, but you actually *look up* at them in VR. You know it's a game, but it honestly feels real. I found the puzzles very satisfying and exploration superb. While, it's technically survival horror, I never felt that the supplies were too scarce or the game itself too difficult (on Normal, mind you).

I'll leave it at that. Try the game in VR. Seriously. Just try it. But I would still recommend the game on PS4 without VR.

Final score: B+ (PS4 only), A (PSVR)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Resident Evil 7 - PSVR

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 9th, 2017, 12:03 pm

JWK,
Thanks for posting such a detailed review - probably the most well written I've seen.
I have to admit I have been tempted to pick up a VR unit.
I think if more people actually try it, they will warm up to the idea.
Personally I've never had a chance to try, so I can't justify spending $500 for it.
Plus I'm a little concerned about nausea.
VGC

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 10th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Thanks for the post; found it really interesting. I figured that VR on RE7 would just be tacked-on and kind of gimmicky, but sounds like it's much more than that. How do they handle movement in the game? I've found that many VR games force you to stand in one place and kill approaching enemies, because it would create motion sickness if you could use a controller to walk around without actually walking in real life. So I'm curious how RE7 handles that.

Rev

Postby Rev » September 19th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Thanks for the post! This is one game I'm really eager to play on PSVR. Waiting for the game to drop a little lower in price and then I'm on it.

Return to “Reader Reviews”