Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA)

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 31st, 2006, 2:16 am

Thanks, I may go back and try for star road....when I'm tired
of Super Princess Peach!

How about a complete SPP "winners" post?

a1

Postby a1 » December 31st, 2006, 5:55 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Thanks, I may go back and try for star road....when I'm tired
of Super Princess Peach!

How about a complete SPP "winners" post? [/QUOTE]

Isn't SPP awesome. I can't believe all of the average reviews it got. I like it as much or more than New Super Mario Bros.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 31st, 2006, 12:59 pm

SPP is a great game, but I certainly would not say it comes close to New SMB! The graphics look like 8-bit, not that that is BAD, but they could have done more than keep changing colors.. speaking of which, were they TRYING to sell this to women? The colors of grass range from spring green to BLUE, PURPLE and PINK for heavens sake! But you are right, the play is fun. Rescuing toads is not too bad, since there are only 3 on each level. My only real beef is the controls. I have a hard time flying and doing other stuff with the 'brolly. All that said, though, PEACH was my favorite character in SMB2, and I'm glad she finally got her own game.

a1

Postby a1 » January 1st, 2007, 5:38 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]SPP is a great game, but I certainly would not say it comes close to New SMB! The graphics look like 8-bit, not that that is BAD, but they could have done more than keep changing colors.. speaking of which, were they TRYING to sell this to women? The colors of grass range from spring green to BLUE, PURPLE and PINK for heavens sake! But you are right, the play is fun. Rescuing toads is not too bad, since there are only 3 on each level. My only real beef is the controls. I have a hard time flying and doing other stuff with the 'brolly. All that said, though, PEACH was my favorite character in SMB2, and I'm glad she finally got her own game. [/QUOTE]

I really liked the New Mario, but I certainly didn't like it as much as most reviewers. Peach took longer for me to beat for one. It had way more unlockables-a world does not count as an unlockable; 8 worlds is standard Mario, only additional worlds could be counted as unlockables- and Peach was actually a more diverse character than Mario. She had four different special moves which could all be used in different ways (some of them were admittedly stupid). The only puzzles in New Super Mario involved turning small.

Also, I hate how every reviewer said Peach was too easy, but never said it about the New Mario. Maybe it is just because I am a Mario veteran, but I probably died more in Peach (the bosses were tough) than in Mario. When it comes down to it though, I think I had more fun with the New Mario than with Super Princess Peach, which is the most important thing, so I'm going to give it the victory. You're also right that its graphics dominate the Princess Peach graphics (which look like a very good NES game maybe, but I'd probably describe them as SNES graphics), but graphics aren't all that important to me.

One other thing. Toad was a cooler character than Peach in Mario 2. Peach is second.

voor

Postby voor » January 1st, 2007, 8:47 am

I cant from this comp, but maybe someone could download a walkthrough (from Gamespot) for SMW and send it do Alien in a Word document.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 3rd, 2007, 4:04 am

I'm doing better at SMW now thanks!

"...Toad was a cooler character than Peach in SMB2".

It depends on if you played the game offensively or defensively. Toad was the strongest, able to pick things and enemies up quickly, and deffinitely the best digger. But Peach had that amazing jump that let her "float" over obstacles...also, the fact that VERY few female characters were playable back then made me want to play her (like THYRA in GAUNTLET)!

All characters had levels they were best at, though to me Luigi was wayyyy too hard to control. He jumped high but flailed around like a dying snake! I only used him to enter the third warp zone!

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 3rd, 2007, 6:19 am

I am really loving Super Princess Peach, but am stuck on a puzzle already! Actually two. In the level with the flying mushrooms, what are they for? I can't seem to grab or affect them in any way. (the only item I have is Floatabrella).... more importantly, the flowers: to open the first pipe, you must hit them in order, red-blue-purple, but then on the wheel I can't seem to find the right order-it's not the same. Hitting a red speds up the wheel, but then hitting any others just gets me a buzzer, and you only get one try each time! HELP!

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 3rd, 2007, 6:32 am

If whoever checks these posts read my last one, you don't have to post it! It just occured to me, the mushrooms are telling you in exactly what order to hit the flowers! DOH!

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 3rd, 2007, 1:08 pm

Ok, I am still having trouble on part three of the flower thing in SPP, with all the platforms moving. I know what order to hit the flowers but I keep @#$%! falling, like the controls are really slippery and the flowers re-bloom before I get 'em all.

Any hints on this or SPP in general? Thanks.

a1

Postby a1 » January 4th, 2007, 1:34 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Ok, I am still having trouble on part three of the flower thing in SPP, with all the platforms moving. I know what order to hit the flowers but I keep @#$%! falling, like the controls are really slippery and the flowers re-bloom before I get 'em all.

Any hints on this or SPP in general? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I didn't know they rebloomed. In part 3 just use your float power if you have trouble making the jumps. Just make sure to save enough vibe to get to the top two areas and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Return to “Reader Reviews”