Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA)

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 25th, 2006, 1:25 pm

Adamant.... I think my problem on that challenge level is using my beloved LUIGI. Although he CAN jump higher and fly longer than Mario, he is a bit slower. I don't think you can fly over the last stretch with the water pits/mushroom bubbles because there's not enough "takeoff" room after exiting the pipe.

I was confused on some keys opening switch palaces,others, secret worlds. I am happy to say I CLEARED ALL FOUR SWITCH PALACES today and thanks to the red blocks was able to get to my first "secret area" in Donut plains 1! The NP magazine was a godsend! Remember when Nintendo published complete STRATEGY guides in the magazine rather than sell them seperately (excepting the SMB one paperback of course!)? .... and it is equally amazing that this short review has sprarked so much disscussion! There must be a LOT of SUPER MARIO WORLD Fanatics out there! (:

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 26th, 2006, 5:23 pm

I can't believe I missed the Ghost house secret on Donut plains, the most important one in the game, since you can go and get Yoshi and flowers and feathers anytime you need them! I beat the Chocolate 2 level by flying with Yoshi, eating a blue shell. I thought it was weird that the "flying" music stopped halfway through but yoshi could keep flying anyway! - is that a glitch? It was easy to beat, now I'm going after Cheese Bridge (were the programmers hungry , coming up with these names!?) I now Have restructured my list of the best Super mario games! SMW is just the best Mario game ever!
1. Super Mario World - YEAAAH!
1 1/2. Cheating, but SM All Stars!
2. Super Mario 2(It's weird and I like the different characters!)
3. Super mario 3
4. Super Mario one
5. Super Mario "two", Japan: Lost levels ( fun but VERY hard!!!)
6. Portables....SMB Deluxe, SMland, SMland2, The Wario games
7. Yoshi's Island....I feel about this what others feel about SM2; it doesn't "feel" like it belongs on a "Mario" list since, for the most part, Baby Mario is just on for the ride...it has too many levels and is too complicated for it's own good, if you ask me. Beautiful pastoral graphics and music though! I give Yoshis Island a B- for a "platformer" but a D for a MARIO game!

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 27th, 2006, 6:54 am

Yes, I was off the screen, but I got the wings in the Cheese bridge area and was just shot up to a secret "sky" level, Doh! I guess I won't be flying under the gate with those! And for the record, as long as you keep pressing the button after eating a blue turtle, I don't think you'll come down. (On the GBA at least) I got to the goal area, and kept pressing the buton over a minute without coming down. Yoshi only comes down when I stop pressing, and then he falls down immidiately. Not so with the wings, THEY deffiniitely "wear off", and I keep falling into the black fuzzies on the sky platforms!

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » December 27th, 2006, 9:45 am

Yeah, and Cheese Bridge, you're supposed to used Yoshi with the cape and glide between the saws/fuzzys/whatever, bouncing off them. Finally, glide under the goalpost, and once you're behind it, spinjump off Yoshi to get onto the platform. The continue right to the second goal.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 28th, 2006, 4:22 am

Well, all I know about Yoshi is he never came down until I reached the goal, which is good. I unfortunately still can't get on links on this old iMac (I have NO idea now if I'll really get a new PC or not).....otherwise I would've out cheesebridge.

The blue-red-yellow yoshis are only available on Star Road area, are they not?

Anybody know what the stars on the title screen signify? One just popped up on mine.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 28th, 2006, 12:27 pm

...There is just no way I can see that video of the Cheese Bridge solution. WHAT IS IT!!!!??? You can't use Yoshi, that just takes you to a secret area and you lose him when the wings wear off. And you can't seem to use the cape, because the small platform below the "normal" golpost doesn't give you enough take-off room!!!!!HELLLP!

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 29th, 2006, 1:03 am

Thanks, L.A. .... I will try. The reason MY iMac can't get on sites now is, it is an antique. It is the very first model, purchased over 5 years ago, and the video and memory are no longer enough so I can even see images of 2600 games on this site, let alone watch animation! I am sure a brand NEW iMac with the latest OS is fine. I thought I was going to get a new laptop PC, but am unsure now...

At any rate thanks for the tips. Getting to Star road and coming back once I have blue Yoshi sounds easiest.

voor

Postby voor » December 29th, 2006, 9:23 pm

Alienblue, I bet you can find an old player's guide somewhere on ebay for under $5.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 30th, 2006, 12:10 am

..I can't get on Ebay either, and dont have credit or checking.

I appreciate all the advice but will probably be getting a new DS game in a few days, at which point this will be played less... my ex said she got on star road though, I still have not. I SEE the star icons but I forget how to get to them! I know there are multiple paths, which is the easiest?

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » December 30th, 2006, 12:05 pm

Star Road is reached the following way:

Donut Plains 1 secret exit -> Donut Secret 1 secret exit -> Donut Secret House secret exit -> Star Road

Vanilla Dome 1 secret exit -> Vanilla Secret 1 secret exit -> Star Road

Cheese Bridge Area secret exit -> Soda Lake -> Star Road

Forest of Illusion 4 secret exit -> Forest Secret Area -> Forest Fortress -> Star Road

Valley of Bowser 4 secret exit -> Star Road

The one in Valley of Bowser 4 should be the least troublesome - simply ride Yoshi to the end of the level, and you'll find the key under some rocks. Use Yoshi's tounge to grab it, and enter the nearby keyhole.

Return to “Reader Reviews”