Console Launch Reviews

The readers post their own reviews.
Shawn

Console Launch Reviews

Postby Shawn » January 14th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Elebits was not a launch title. Ok, do I really want to play a videogame of hide and seek? Not really. Madden is good but Need for Speed is better on all of the other systems. I simply do not like the Wii Controller for Racing games, it feels "floaty" at best. Anyway, think what you want.

sega saturn x

Console Launch Reviews

Postby sega saturn x » January 14th, 2007, 6:37 pm

Wait we are rating the consoles on how much the media hyped them?  That's just retarded, were basing this off games I thought?  In that case the wii has ONE great game and that's zelda (I personally think it sucks but hey so has every other zelda.)  And if the wii can get an A for having one game that's worth a damn the 64 and snes should get As too because they had just one game worth playing as well.  This isn't a wii Vs others, this is just me pointing out the grades are ass backwards.  Like I said, the ps3 and 360 didn't just match the wii they beat it in terms of most genres.  And try finding a critic who doesn't agree with that, PGR3 rapes the wiis racers, and CoD 2 or 3 beat the hell out of red steel and the grades all show it.  Plus the others had online play it does not.  So if it got an A so should the ps3 and 360 or they should all get Cs.

bluemonkey1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 14th, 2007, 7:01 pm

Roperius where did you get that statistic from?  That is impossible to know.

Every DC community I have been apart of has had widespread complaints and queries about how to fix things on a regular basis.  Everyone I know who has a DC has either had to fix it or hasn't bothered.  It is a very unreliable system.  I lost count of how many times I had to give a link out to the internal reset fix problem on gamefaqs.com

Leo Ames

Console Launch Reviews

Postby Leo Ames » January 14th, 2007, 8:09 pm

I agree that they're unreliable and have issues, but I'll also stand by my point that these didn't come to light until the console started to age, so judging the console launch poorly because of reliability is unfair because it happened later.

m0zart1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby m0zart1 » January 14th, 2007, 8:56 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]Wait we are rating the consoles on how much the media hyped them?  That's just retarded, were basing this off games I thought?  In that case the wii has ONE great game and that's zelda (I personally think it sucks but hey so has every other zelda.)[/QUOTE]

I can see that we are going to constantly be arguing on whether the Wii's release titles were worth anything.  I suggest that they are.  Not just Zelda -- I was impressed with Rayman, Excite Truck, Madden 2007, Trauma Center, and Super Monkey Ball.  All of those are great games and were within the Wii's launch Window.

Instead of arguing with Rob's scores, why not make a listing of your own with your paragraph reviews for each and a final score?

[QUOTE=Shawn]Elebits was not a launch title. Ok, do I really want to play a videogame of hide and seek? Not really. Madden is good but Need for Speed is better on all of the other systems. I simply do not like the Wii Controller for Racing games, it feels "floaty" at best. Anyway, think what you want.[/QUOTE]

Elebits, Madden, Need for Speed -- all in the launch window.  They don't have to be there on launch day to be considered part of the launch.   That is why every console developer, including Sony, creates a launch window of anywhere between two and three months.

Sometimes that's not a good thing either.  The XBOX launch didn't probably get helped by the fact that Obiwan was released within its launch window.  It was one of those games that turned a lot of people off of the system.

sega saturn x

Console Launch Reviews

Postby sega saturn x » January 14th, 2007, 10:03 pm

[QUOTE]

I can see that we are going to constantly be arguing on whether the Wii's release titles were worth anything.  I suggest that they are.  Not just Zelda -- I was impressed with Rayman, Excite Truck, Madden 2007, Trauma Center, and Super Monkey Ball.  All of those are great games and were within the Wii's launch Window.

Instead of arguing with Rob's scores, why not make a listing of your own with your paragraph reviews for each and a final score?

[/QUOTE]

I mean all those games are fine and aren't worthless (I guess) but they aren't any better than the games on the 360 or ps3, which is my point.  And to the second I would but...I'm lazy maybe later.

m0zart1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby m0zart1 » January 14th, 2007, 10:19 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x ]I mean all those games are fine and aren't worthless (I guess) but they aren't any better than the games on the 360 or ps3, which is my point.  And to the second I would but...I'm lazy maybe later.[/QUOTE]

Assuming you would only judge it by the games, yes.  I think that both the 360 and the PS3 launch were eaten alive by shortages.  Things change in a year, but I can easily remember a year ago how pissed off many gamers were that the 360 came out in such limited quantities.  For that matter, I can also remember many of us being pissed off at the backwards compatibility support.  I realize that they didn't promise it, but when they actually delivered something and certified a set of games as BC, it was a big disappointment when those games would barely play without crashes, odd bugs, etc.

As for the PS3, I don't think even the most hard-nosed Sony fans can deny that the PS3 launch was an unmitigated disaster.  200k+ units on launch day is an even bigger joke than the actual promised 400k units.  And given that it wasn't even a worldwide launch, which further alienates Europe and Australia, I think it's safe to say that Sony has went from an almost insured first place to a very questionable second.  They could have learned from the lessons of the 360 a year before.  Instead, they chose to take all of their mistakes and magnify them.

Personally, I wouldn't let the Wii off with an A or an A+ either.  They promised 4 million units, 2 million to the US alone.  Instead they delivered about 3.7 million, and concentrated more of those in Japan than the US as promised.  Still, it had a resonably good lineup of games, and the demand for it was crazy.  It's hard to give it anything less than an A- or a B+, in my book.

feilong801

Console Launch Reviews

Postby feilong801 » January 14th, 2007, 10:34 pm

m0zart brings up something that I totally forgot in my armchair analysis:

The Wii really surprised me with its backwards compatibility. It doesn't just play Gamecube games, it also accepts the controllers and the memory cards! That's pretty solid support, and has to be at least a minor factor in the system's appeal.

In any event, I should say at this point that my main purpose of the article (I should have made this clearer) was to stir up some vigerous debate and get some different perspectives, and it seems to have succeeded on that point. The Dreamcast people, especially, had some thoughtful counterpoints. That's not to say I won't type laboriously overlong replies to the various complaints, though .

-Rob

voor

Console Launch Reviews

Postby voor » January 14th, 2007, 11:51 pm

Quick ?--> Do you think that if the Wii was not packaged with Wii Sports it would have cost $199??

m0zart1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby m0zart1 » January 14th, 2007, 11:53 pm

[QUOTE=voor]

Quick ?--> Do you think that if the Wii was not packaged with Wii Sports it would have cost $199??

[/QUOTE]

Yes I am pretty sure it would have.  I had read somewhere that part of packaging a game with the console was to make the pricepoint, $250, more attractive to retailers.  I don't know if I entirely believe that, but it's not implausible.

Return to “Reader Reviews”