Console Launch Reviews

The readers post their own reviews.
m0zart1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby m0zart1 » January 18th, 2007, 10:00 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]No, YOU are going to be upset, I would bet anything, when 3-D is replaced by "The next big thing"... I'm guessing full virtual reality like Star Trek's holodecks. You will be like me then, wishing for the simpler,cheaper,easier "3-D" times!-Grampa![/QUOTE]

Why would I be upset if we had something as cool as the holodeck?

Personally I don't think we are anywhere near having that kind of gaming experience yet, but I would hardly complain if we did.

You on the other hand -- I have a feeling you will be thinking "Atari 2600 is greater than Holodeck 360", regardless of how good the gaming experience is.

I love 2D games.  I always will.  But I also love 3D.  I don't believe for a second that the two are (or need to be) mutually exclusive.

Funkmaster V

Console Launch Reviews

Postby Funkmaster V » January 18th, 2007, 11:07 am

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

Anyone who says those three games are the same must have a syndrome fo some sort.  Seriously this last page is so full of garabge it's not even funny.  But what is funny is Vinnie says all FPS are the same yet he wants to play Call of duty 3 for the wii?  I guess he doesn't like FPS unless they are really, really bad.

[/QUOTE]

You are probably 100% right, but I would at least like to try it to decide that for myself. At least there is a new way to play a FPS.

I swear guys, it's time for you guys to get some dates. I can't believe we are arguing on what people like:

"I like chicken. Beef tastes the same to me."

"Are you an idiot? There is filet mignon, ribeye, NY strip!"

"Well, that may be true, but it tastes the same to me, and I've had before and would like something new."

"But.... they're.... not the same!!! You people are scumsucking morons!"

"Calm down, I'll try some beef, OK? Just calm down!"

"I MUST BE RIGHT ALL THE TIME! YOU ARE IGNORANT! I KNOW ALL, BECAUSE MY OPINIONS ARE CONSIDERED FACTS!"

"Ahem.... check please."

Funkmaster V

bluemonkey1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 18th, 2007, 12:37 pm

Just to respond to Alien's comment about us liking games for being more realistic.  Last time I checked the sun didn't glisten off of rocks like the bump mapping in Perfect Dark Zero.  Just because these games have better graphics they are not trying to look realistic.  If anyone thinks PDZ or Q4 were striving for realistic visuals they are very wrong.  3D can be about trying to look real but the majority of 3D games go for visuals that don't look real.

Alienblue

Console Launch Reviews

Postby Alienblue » January 18th, 2007, 1:58 pm

Mozart, as I said elsewhere I DO NOT HATE 3-D. I actually had fun with Super Mario 64/DS, I love PS2 3-D racers like TOCA3, and DT racer. And I am NOT pining away for the ugly, pixalated 2600 days! Yes, I collect old games, I grew up with them, But I love NEW 2-D games too, New Super Mario Bros., Super Princess Peach, Tetris Ds, Metroid Pinball... I actually liked Castle Wolfinstein 3-D, Doom and Duke Nukem (I consider DN to be a DOOM parody)... but most FPS games since then have copied, not expanded on the theme. Also, as 3-D worlds get bigger, more realistic, more you CAN DO, games get too complicated for me. I like to take games in quick easy doses (But that's me in ALL entertainment- it took me FOUR days to finish watching Superman Returns-35 minutes a day!)
I am not trying to take 3-D away, I just wish the CONSOLES would make 3-D AND 2-D games. Some genres, like shooters, platform and puzzle games are just better in 2-D. But thats just me. Weird.

sega saturn x

Console Launch Reviews

Postby sega saturn x » January 18th, 2007, 3:08 pm

Vinnie here's the thing, you say all FPS are the same blah blah blah.  But you want to at least try cod3 on the wii correct?  But the game is awful and I'm sure you will come to that soon after starting.  And it will only re-afirm your notion that all fps suck and are the same.  So why not try a good one and base your opinion on that?

voor

Console Launch Reviews

Postby voor » January 18th, 2007, 5:42 pm

This is a pointless argument as it is all based on one's preferred genres.  For instance, I hate RPGs so to me, all RPGs are 'the same".  I also dislike golf games, and same is true.

I could say the same about vertical shooters (the core gameplay is the same = they're all just alike), but to ya'll that really enjoy them, ya'll can find (or care enough to find) huge differences and will argue all day for your genre.

In essence, everyone just simmer down!

a1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby a1 » January 18th, 2007, 5:51 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

Vinnie here's the thing, you say all FPS are the same blah blah blah.  But you want to at least try cod3 on the wii correct?  But the game is awful and I'm sure you will come to that soon after starting.  And it will only re-afirm your notion that all fps suck and are the same.  So why not try a good one and base your opinion on that?

[/QUOTE]

It's mediocre, not awful. You are right though; playing COD3 on the Wii will not convert anyone into an FPS lover. I can think of quite a few games with better single player: Halo, Timesplitters 2, and even Goldeneye. Funkmaster V, if you want to try an FPS on Wii it's probably a good idea to wait until Metroid Prime 3 comes out. Of course, if you're like me and don't like Metroid you'd better hope a 3rd party developer comes in and does one well after the new Metroid (I'm just hoping Nintendo lays the ground so someone else can see good controls and make a good FPS).

Plus, there's the whole thing with COD3 not having multiplayer. Once again, Halo, Timesplitters 2 or 3, Halo 2, and Goldeneye (I don't play too many FPS, those are the only I've really invested time into) all have great multiplayer and would be better choices. Don't waste your money on Call of Duty 3. Either wait for a good FPS, or buy Timesplitters 2 and a Gamecube controller and play it on your Wii.

Funkmaster V

Console Launch Reviews

Postby Funkmaster V » January 18th, 2007, 7:51 pm

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=sega saturn x]

[/QUOTE]

It's mediocre, not awful. You are right though; playing COD3 on the Wii will not convert anyone into an FPS lover. I can think of quite a few games with better single player: Halo, Timesplitters 2, and even Goldeneye. Funkmaster V, if you want to try an FPS on Wii it's probably a good idea to wait until Metroid Prime 3 comes out. Of course, if you're like me and don't like Metroid you'd better hope a 3rd party developer comes in and does one well after the new Metroid (I'm just hoping Nintendo lays the ground so someone else can see good controls and make a good FPS).

Plus, there's the whole thing with COD3 not having multiplayer. Once again, Halo, Timesplitters 2 or 3, Halo 2, and Goldeneye (I don't play too many FPS, those are the only I've really invested time into) all have great multiplayer and would be better choices. Don't waste your money on Call of Duty 3. Either wait for a good FPS, or buy Timesplitters 2 and a Gamecube controller and play it on your Wii.

[/QUOTE]

I've played just about all of those games you and SSX have mentioned, and owned many more FPS. I'm just burnt out on the genre of games.

I loved Timesplitters 2, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Time Crisis.

I thought Halo was pretty okay and was bored with Halo 2.

I thought Timesplitters Future Perfect was mediocre.

Hated all of the Medal of Honor games. Did not like Freedom Fighters, Socom, Second Sight, any EA Bond game, Hitman, the Rainbow Six games I played, the new Metroids, Serious Sam, Geist.

I realize some of those as I write are 3rd person shooters... but I've played a lot of these games. Blah. I'm tired at how bland most are. I would like to try Gears of War... that one looks good. I also would never buy Call of Duty 3, that would be a renter.

I just decided a few weeks ago I can live without a Wii. I have tons of Cube, PS2, Xbox and Atari games I need to beat before I justify spending $$$ on that sh*t.

FUNK

sega saturn x

Console Launch Reviews

Postby sega saturn x » January 18th, 2007, 8:43 pm

[QUOTE]It's mediocre, not awful [/QUOTE]

-It's ugly

-Controls a lot worse

-camera will spin out for no reason

-it's really really ugly

-No multiplayer

How is it NOT awful?  And Vinnie I guess I can't change your mind.  But FEAR and gears are fantastic shooters.  medal of honor has always been very "meh".  Call of duty 2 is fantastic if you never tried that.

bluemonkey1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 19th, 2007, 3:56 am

Yeah I just got CoD 2 the other week, fantastic shooter.  I haven't played 3 yet but 2 definitely looks a lot better (lots of people seem to prefer 2).  Let's not forget 3 is made by Treyarch again not Infinity Ward .

Return to “Reader Reviews”