Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2)

The readers post their own reviews.
Linkdude

Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2)

Postby Linkdude » December 28th, 2006, 2:49 am

I am very disappointed in the latest Mortal Kombat. Recently buying it at Best Buy (for the Premium Edition) and excited, I wasn't. I have no idea why this game won the Best Fighting game of 2006 Award from Spike TV. But still, at least there is effort in the game.

The fighting itself is pretty standard, now with two fighting styles, and a new "parry" move. I found myself pretty bored with the custom fatalities since it's the same thing over and over again. I decided to jam my hand into the PS2 controller and say, "OK, what's next?" The create-a-fighter? Pretty dumb. Almost all the items cost currency in the game, but I'm getting over 30,000 coins each time I go through the Konquest mode. But I found myself making some naughty people in the game, like Michael Jackson.

The Motor Kombat mode doesn't even seem like a good idea. First, Deception had Puzzle and Chess. Those two modes were addicted as ever, but now... they just put in a bad racing game. You can play it online, but it's just not as fun when you play in split-screen. Aerial Kombat in the game isn't that great, but it's pretty cool. I found myself getting a 9 hit combo by just reeling in a guy with Scorpion, hitting him a couple of times and then hitting him while he was in the air.

Konquest Mode is a reason why there is some potential for Armageddon to be a good game. The storyline in the game is good as well, but to be safe, I'm not spoiling the story. There's some good visuals in the game, but some of them look ugly. I have to say when you use the weapons that's when the action is fun is Konquest.

The Premium Edition has extras, and boy-- they are hard to describe, but I'll say one word about it: cool. A History of Fatalities video on the second disc is cool, since some of Midway's masterminds like Dan "Toasty" Forden (the dude who pops out and sings "Toasty"), Ed Boon, Mike Boon, John Vogel, Steve Beran, and some of those other guys from Midway tell about their least and most favorite fatalities. Also it includes Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 which is playable. But it's not perfect as the arcade version. First off, there are loading times in this version of UMK3! There are also sound glitches which make the game sound like this was supposed to be the backbone of UMK3 on the Xbox Live Arcade! The second disc of the Premium Edition also contains character cards which in case features some of the actors who portrayed the Mortal Kombat characters. Pretty cool... Don't forget, there's also an animation cell inside the Premium Edition box.

In conclusion, Armageddon is a disappointing game that really needed to do better. Here's a little Pros and Cons thing and the final grades for the regular and Premium Editions of Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

MK: Armageddon Regular Edition: Grade-- C-
Pros: Has good gameplay, lots of characters, well done Konquest Mode, some good ways to get lots of currency in the game, a better Krypt!
Cons: Scaled down fighting engine, boring custom fatalities and create-a-fighter modes, a better Krypt that has no videos that seem interesting and also tell you what you will get.

MK: Armageddon Premium Edition: Grade-- B-
Pros: Just as the same as the regular edition, good extras that seem worthwhile.
Cons: The same as the regular edition, UMK3 port suffers from loading times and slowdown.

Return to “Reader Reviews”