Contact DS: Update

The readers post their own reviews.
feilong801

Contact DS: Update

Postby feilong801 » January 10th, 2007, 2:26 am

Well well well. Very often, once I have made it past 2/3 of a game, I write a review. Because, with very little exception, there isn't going to be anything that changes me opinion one way or another, and I do believe strongly that a game should be strong in the beginning, who wants to slog through many, many hours of boring drek just to get to a good ending?

Having just finished Contact, however (don't worry, this will be spoiler free), I can safely say this is one game that picks waaaaay the heck up after you get past the first 2/3 of the game. It's not that the game doesn't have its charms before this, but it IS repetitive, it DOES make you hunt and search in an annoying way. You WILL need an internet walkthrough.

However, once you get beyond that section of the game, everything really picks up. It's a shame the developers didn't balance things out better, as this is probably why the game received mixed reviews and thus poor sales.

So, I'm not changing my grade. However, I will say that everything that made this game B- material is delivered in a much stronger way in the end, so those who are willing to make it past the boring bits will get a very rewarding (though odd) experience.

I recently discovered that this game was developed by the same folks who did Killer 7, which would certainly explain the weirdness!

In final summation: Contact when from a quirky, slightly above average RPG to a "games as art" candidate, based entirely on the last section of the game. While this may not be so wonderful for its commercial prospects, it certainly makes a great experience for the gamer, if they are so inclined. A hidden gem.

-Rob

Return to “Reader Reviews”