Altered Beast (Arcade Version, Master System 1988-89)

The readers post their own reviews.
Bartman

Postby Bartman » January 25th, 2007, 5:42 pm

If you thought Altered Beast on Genesis was hard, it is harder on the arcade. I thought that this game was only on the Genesis and then saw a Sega Master System and Arcade version in America at least of this. Let's get started. The Arcade version. First off, the graphics are real better than the Genesis version. I think Altered Beast was inferior for the Genesis and screwed up as the pack-in game. The gameplay is harder and different. It is the same idea: kill the grave and pick the orbs from the wolves to be the Beast. There is five levels, but I died in level one. Now to the Master System version. I really don't know how they can make a 16-bit game into an 8-bit version but Altered Beast did it. Basically the graphics are a little darker. Enemies will come quick and your health will go down quickly. There is four levels, but I made it to the level two boss. In my opinion, Altered Beast is good but not good for the Genesis but harder for the Arcade and Master System

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » January 26th, 2007, 8:11 am

altered beast was an above average beat-em-up in the arcade. in the late 80s, the double dragon mini-craze dictated that the majority of games of the time were beat-em-ups. altered beast had an average beat-em-up design, but the small portions of beast play and the greek god theme made the title stick out.

the genesis translation was top notch, when it was released as the genesis pack-in, there was no better home translation of an arcade game on the market. before sonic and the SNES, the genesis was the exclusive home for damn good arcade ports and was considered the hardcore gamers machine. nowadays, that idea is lost with arcades being mostly a joke, and 'hardcore gamers' caring more about non gaming elements like storylines and voice acting more than gameplay.

Bartman

Postby Bartman » January 27th, 2007, 12:58 pm

I understand what you are saying, chrisbid. Sega was a good company with classic arcade games such as Frogger, Zaxxon, Golden Axe, Hang-on, Altered Beast, Daytona, Virtua Racing, Virtua Cop, The House of the Dead, and maybe Virtua Fighter, all the way from the Master System to the Dreamcast. I think playing Hang-on was good. It was a good faithful arcade game. Golden Axe had great gameplay. Altered Beast is a good faithful arcade game but infierior. Infierior but good gameplay. House of the Dead is good to have you shoot down these zombies. Daytona sounded like a good racing game. Overall the ports of most of Sega's arcade games were good.

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » January 28th, 2007, 1:15 am

Imagine if stuff like the Sonic series and "Gunstar Heroes" had been original launch titles in 1989. We would've been awed beyond belief... If we were that impressed by "Altered Beast". :/

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Return to “Reader Reviews”