Ignore the magazine critics - MofH: Vanguard for Wii is fun

The readers post their own reviews.
Will

Postby Will » May 4th, 2007, 11:43 am

Granted, it doesn't have the graphical power of the 360's and PS3's WWII shooter, but the graphics are the best on the Wii I've seen.
The controls - much derided - are actually very good, even ingenious, once you get the hang of it.  The ablitity to go into "iron sights" and tilt in evey direction to take shots behind cover is great.  The damage system (healing after taking cover for a while) works fine.
The single player campaign is short and the final two missions are just insanely hard - but it is nice to be challenged.
However, the old school multiplayer deathmatch is great.  I haven't had this much fun with multiplayer since Goldeneye 64.
I've had three friends over to play, and all three said it was a lot of fun and much better than they had expected.
A word of warning though: avoid the sniper scope for the Garand.  I've found it to be utterly useless.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 4th, 2007, 1:01 pm

Does the multiplayer have bots, or is it just human players?

-Rob

Will

Postby Will » May 4th, 2007, 4:03 pm

As far as I know, just human players (I'll have to check the manual to be sure).  I've only played 2 player head to head, but it looks like you could have 4 players at once (maybe more since it seems to have places for 8 player id's, although I have no idea how that would work), and either have "every man for himself" or team format.
The multiplayer maps are really nice.  There small, but they have tons of places to hide and take cover. Each also sports two MG42 nests that can produce heavy, but inaccurate fire.  It makes for some interesting match ups.  I suppose there could be more maps and the weapons could definitely be more varied, but I've had hours of fun with friends.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » May 4th, 2007, 9:35 pm

Dude,

I have played just about every FPS that has come out for a console. Trust me, Vanguard is as generic as it comes. I haven't played the Wii version but the PS2 version and I would rate it a D+ at best. If you have NEVER played a FPS there is some fun to be had and maybe the Wii version is much better but I found it to be very generic. I was sorry I bought it.

Will

Postby Will » May 10th, 2007, 4:38 pm

Well, the review was for the Wii version.
I'll admit, the WWII shooter genre is getting very stale (and this is coming from someone who loves his WWII shooters) and as far as level design, graphics, sound effects, weapons, etc., Vanguard does nothing new.  The only two things that redeem this game on the Wii (and redeem it quite well) are the short, but awesome, parachuting sequences and the controls which - although much maligned - are actually very intuitive and fun.
I've played 2 out of the 3 shooters for Wii that I know of (Call of Duty 3, Vanguard, and Red Steel, which I have not played) and this is head and shoulders above CoD3.  It has better graphics and gameplay and the added multiplayer.
So, bottom line: no this is not the best WWII shooter out there but it is fun and more than servicable on the Wii.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 10th, 2007, 7:17 pm

[QUOTE=Will] I've played 2 out of the 3 shooters for Wii that I know of (Call of Duty 3, Vanguard, and Red Steel, which I have not played) [/QUOTE]

There's also Far Cry Vengeance, but you might as well ignore that, due to it's relative crappiness.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » May 11th, 2007, 7:17 am

[QUOTE=Will]Well, the review was for the Wii version.
I'll admit, the WWII shooter genre is getting very stale (and this is coming from someone who loves his WWII shooters) and as far as level design, graphics, sound effects, weapons, etc., Vanguard does nothing new.  The only two things that redeem this game on the Wii (and redeem it quite well) are the short, but awesome, parachuting sequences and the controls which - although much maligned - are actually very intuitive and fun.
I've played 2 out of the 3 shooters for Wii that I know of (Call of Duty 3, Vanguard, and Red Steel, which I have not played) and this is head and shoulders above CoD3.  It has better graphics and gameplay and the added multiplayer.
So, bottom line: no this is not the best WWII shooter out there but it is fun and more than servicable on the Wii.

[/QUOTE]

How can "much maligned" controls be very intuitive and fun? I believe the Wii version is exactly like the PS2 version save controls and graphics and although the parachuting is fun it is only for about 5 minutes of the entire game. I played through the PS2 version and played the Wii version. They are both bad. In my opinion the Wii version is the weakest of the two b/c I found the controls to be terrible. If you enjoy that is all that counts but if I was a Wii owner I wouldn't be rushing out to buy this game.

Will

Postby Will » May 11th, 2007, 10:36 am

I suppose controls can be "much maligned" and be" very intuitive and fun" if the people making the statements have different opinions.  The controls are "much maligned" by some (probably most) magazine critics and yet, I - God forbid - have a different opinion, and find the controls "very intutive and fun".
Just like you and I have different opinions.  You hated the game, I liked it.  You found the controls to be unweilding, I found them to be more enjoyable than the standard dual- anolog setup.
I just wanted to offer my opinion on this forum, and I did so.

Return to “Reader Reviews”