Pressure Gauge (Atari VCS Homebrew)

The readers post their own reviews.
andrew

Postby andrew » June 25th, 2007, 11:09 pm

This is a homebrew vcs game by John K. Harvey released in 2000. A simple one player game, the objective is increase pressure on gauge two my manipulating gauge one before gauge three pressure falls to zero. Confused? Let me clarify further. There are three gauges represented by solid bars. The first bar rises to the top then repeats this procedure, while the third pressure bar is slowly decreasing. There is a block located on the side of the screen which is roughly half the distance vertically to the top. By pressing the button when the first bar has risen into this sweet spot zone, the second pressure bar increases a little. Repeat this procedure until the second gauge bar reaches the top before the third bar decreases to zero. The colors then change indicating the next level where the first bar increases faster making it tougher each time. This is where the game gets tough. Even if you hit this zone, you don't always increase the pressure. If you hit the upper part or lower part of the sweet spot area the pressure decreases. Why have a decent sized zone if there are limits within the zone. After a few levels, its very tough to raise the pressure. You think you hit the spot but pressure two still decreases. Very cheap at times. The graphics are extremely basic consisting of three ugly colored pressure bars a ground line and ceiling line, the block sweet spot zone and a line indicating the height pressure bar two must increase to. Sound is above average but the game over music is quite creepy. Its an odd title with not much value to it.

Grade: D+

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » June 25th, 2007, 11:58 pm

Sounds like a less complicated clone of a minigame in Titanic Adventure out of Time for the PC.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » June 26th, 2007, 9:28 pm

[QUOTE=andrew]
This is a homebrew vcs game by John K. Harvey released in 2000. A simple one player game, the objective is increase pressure on gauge two my manipulating gauge one before gauge three pressure falls to zero. Confused? Let me clarify further. There are three gauges represented by solid bars. The first bar rises to the top then repeats this procedure, while the third pressure bar is slowly decreasing. There is a block located on the side of the screen which is roughly half the distance vertically to the top. By pressing the button when the first bar has risen into this sweet spot zone, the second pressure bar increases a little. Repeat this procedure until the second gauge bar reaches the top before the third bar decreases to zero. The colors then change indicating the next level where the first bar increases faster making it tougher each time. This is where the game gets tough. Even if you hit this zone, you don't always increase the pressure. If you hit the upper part or lower part of the sweet spot area the pressure decreases. Why have a decent sized zone if there are limits within the zone. After a few levels, its very tough to raise the pressure. You think you hit the spot but pressure two still decreases. Very cheap at times. The graphics are extremely basic consisting of three ugly colored pressure bars a ground line and ceiling line, the block sweet spot zone and a line indicating the height pressure bar two must increase to. Sound is above average but the game over music is quite creepy. Its an odd title with not much value to it.

Grade: D+
[/QUOTE]

... This is either a very hard game to describe, or you were drugged while you wrote this. I may be drugged now. In either case, this game sounds like it really sucks.

John K Harvey does kick ass though. He has added tons of excellent content to my site and to the Atari 7800 community: including a Midnight Mutants guide, helping me write a very good Double Dragon walkthrough, conducted an interview with the guy that designed Klax, and is helping Mord, Mitch and myself design Scrapyard Dog World hint maps that are quite franky amazing. I never knew he did homebrews, too. I think I love him.

cousin vinnie

andrew

Postby andrew » June 27th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Just go to packrat vtg where its being sold, look at the screen shots and you'll see what I'm trying to describe. Tried to add the pic but I guess it didn't work.

http://www.packratvg.com/pressuregauge.html

Return to “Reader Reviews”