Chaos Field (GC)

The readers post their own reviews.
hi there

Chaos Field (GC)

Postby hi there » July 17th, 2007, 1:29 pm

Gameplay 8/10
Chaos Field takes the gameplay of old school shooters and combines it with a "boss rush" style of gameplay. In each stage, You fight three bosses that disperse hundreds of projctiles that you must dodge. You can also use a "sword" that clears out bullets in front of your ship. To add some strategy, you can switch between two "Fields".

Chaos field: Your attacks are stronger, but so are your enemy's
Order field: Your attacks are weaker, but so are your enemy's

Though many have expressed displeasure with fighting nothing but bosses, I see no problem with this type of gameplay.
You can collect power-ups (Red in Chaos, Yellow in Order) that allow you to use missles. These missles target enemy bullets and destroy them, as well as parts of the bosses. (You can literally shoot hundreds of these at a time)
There are three charaters to choose from, and, thankfully, each has a different style of attack, requiring a differen't style of play. There are two modes.

Arcade: A direct port of the japanese PS2/Dreamcast game.
Original: The bosses change their attack patterns.

One of the major complaints that people use is the claim that the collision detection is sloppy. However, the only problem I noticed was the one time I passed through a row of bullets. There doesn't seem to be as many problems as other reviewers claim.

Graphics 7/10
I like the way the graphics look, but I have to admit, they are lacking in both detail and originality. However, this allows them to toss hundreds of bullets at you without a hint of slowdown.

Sound 6/10
As fas as generic techno goes, this game has some of the best i've heard. Too bad the sound effects are SERVERLY lacking. You can turn them off, and you won't notice a thing. Admit it, you need good explosion sounds in a game like this.

Replay 7/10
It will take time to beat both the arcade and normal modes, and after this, you can play for highscore.

Overall
8/10
Not an average

Return to “Reader Reviews”