Gran Turismo 1-4 (PS1-PS2)

The readers post their own reviews.
Lamrock

Postby Lamrock » August 7th, 2007, 5:23 pm

[b]Introduction:[/b] Gran Turismo was the first racing game I had ever played, and the first video game to really draw me in. I then bought GT2, which was amazing and I played it all the time. I then got a PS2 for Christmas in 2001 with Gran Turismo 3, which was even better. In 2005, after a year and a half of delays, Gran Turismo 4 came out. It was essentially GT4 with more tracks and cars; as well as better graphics. I wasn't that impressed. Here is my review of each game in the series.

[b]Gran Turismo (1997, PS1)[/b] This game totally blew me away when I first played it. The graphics were unbelievable, and there was so much to do in it. Although I sucked at it (I couldn't control a rear-wheel-drive car at all) I found the game amazing and played it all the time until Gran Turismo 2 came out. There was a learning curve, but the mandatory (but absolutely necessary) license tests were very helpful. Featuring hours of gameplay, revolutionary graphics, realistic gameplay and a good soundtrack, Gran Turismo was the best racer available and still is a classic.

[b]Grade: A+[/b]

[b]Gran Turismo 2 (2000, PS1)[/b] Picking up from where the first game left off, Gran Turismo 2 managed to somehow improve on perfection by tripling the number of courses and having nearly five times as many vehicles as the first game. To top it off, there was rally racing and an even larger simulation mode. Unfortunately, a game of this scale really pushed the console's limits, and I believe would have been much better as a Playstation 2 title. Rally feels rushed and really was an unnecessary addition. The graphics were downgraded from the first game, it is impossible to complete the game 100%, and sometimes, the game's data will mysteriously corrupt. These glitches take away from the experience, but the same great gameplay is still there; it still looks exceptional, and all of the new content really puts the game over the top. It may be flawed, but Gran Turismo 2 is an enormously improved GT1 that pushes the Playstation so hard that it suffers because of that sometimes.

[b]Grade: A-[/b]

[b]Gran Turismo 3 (2001, PS2)[/b] Gran Turismo 3 has much less content than GT2 and was completed in under 2 years. But it is better. Picking up from where the first game left off, GT3 only has about 180 cars, but unlike GT2, there aren't 50 Skylines and Imprezas each, and about 15 courses from the second game were cut. Still, the graphics were better than any other game at that point and the gameplay was tweaked to perfection. There are ore events in this game, but they are very well designed, and the game rarely gets boring. I've clocked about 300 hours into this game and I still play it. On the downside, most of the latter races take [b]forever[/b] to complete. And for some reason, Polyphony decided to hold several races on the test oval. Mindlessly pressing X for ten minutes while taking in pathetically dull scenery is lame. Still, despite some missteps, I would still call Gran Turismo 3 the best racing game ever. It isn't quite perfect, but it is still amazing.

[b]Grade: A[/b]

[b]Gran Turismo 4 (2005, PS2)[/b]

Hyped for well over two years, Gran Turismo 4 is a lot like Gran Turismo 2 in that it takes the debut on the console, and goes overboard with cars and tracks. No, Gran Turismo 4 does no suffer from the glitches that GT2 did, and it is one of the best looking PS2 games available. However, the game's biggest flaw is that it is not fun. There are 80 license tests (Ugh... These should be optional by now), and enough missions that only the hardcore will complete half of the game. After painstakingly completing the license tests, you purchase a relatively humble car (unless you imported GT3 data) and get on your way like the rest of the games.

Although the new courses are exceptional, the new cars are not, because of the simple fact that half of them you can't even use in events! In addition, races go on for even [b]longer[/b] now and there are even a few 24 hour races. (Without the ability to save in the middle of them) Fortunately, there is a B-Spec mode, which allows a CPU-controlled driver to do the races for you. Though the computer-controller car is a terrible driver, you can easily win by having a faster car. Polyphony added more content, but despite a year and a half of delays, failed to deliver online play and a damage model. Gran Turismo 4 is not at all a bad game. It is technically perfect. But some technically perfect games suck due to bad design and this is a prime example.

[b]Grade: B-[/b]

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 9th, 2007, 3:33 am

I got GT4 and never play it at all. Besides the opening "Panama" song (which is cool), I find this game deadly dull compared to TOCA3 and even DT Racer. For one thing, I like third person games where you can SEE the car on the screen. Who cares if it has a zillion cars if you can't SEE them?! Also, as you said, you can't even use most of them, particulary the older ones that could be so cool. I'm a driver, but not a GT player.

Lamrock

Postby Lamrock » August 9th, 2007, 5:36 pm

In GT4's defense, you can see the cars in third person. All you do is press L1....

The game certainly has its niche, as the new courses and cars are nice, but the dull simulation mode, the game's many shortcomings and its lack of appeal to casual gamers really hurt it.

Return to “Reader Reviews”