Donkey Kong/GBA

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

Donkey Kong/GBA

Postby Alienblue » September 26th, 2007, 1:36 pm

NES CLASSICS DONKEY KONG/ GBA grade: A

This review assumes you know how to play Donkey Kong. It also is equally relavent to the original NES cart of course.

I have been hooked on playing this little cart every night before bed on my GBA port on my DS. I can make it to level Six on Game A and level 4 on Game B (which starts out around level 2 or 3).

I have over twenty consoles and computers, and at least a half dozen versions of DK, some with all four screens and intermission stuff; I have the original on MAME. Yet I find the original NES version to be the most fun; here's WHY:

* after playing this game since 1982 I no longer care about DK having the opening "Kong climbing" sequance and "how high can you get" stuff between levels.

* I also want to state once and for all, guys, the absence of the silly "conveyor belt" board is a GOOD thing. This was the lamest board in DK. There's nothing TO it! The pans of mud don't roll or crawl towards you like barrels or fireballs, and you only have to GET to KONGS level, not Paulines! It is so easy it is over in like 12 seconds! No wonder they left it out-good riddance!

* I like the standard set progression of boards. Girders, Elevators and Rivets on each level (and Kong does take a dive after the rivet screen). Unlike the messed up Colecovision version, you keep going through these boards the same way each level. So you can SEE how it gets harder. I am stuck on level 6 because the jumpboards fly too fast to make it up that last run, yet I KNOW it is possible so I keep trying! The B setting lets you get there much faster for practice.

*Last but most important, the important trick from the coin-op was retained: trick as follows: As long as Mario is on a ladder and TOUCHES the girder over him, no barrels will roll down the ladder....this was left out of every other home version I know of. This trick is VITAL to getting high scores!

While the Adam, 7800, and XE versions are all great THIS, to me, is DEFINITIVE DK play. ROLL OUT THE BARRELS!

Adamant1

Donkey Kong/GBA

Postby Adamant1 » September 26th, 2007, 7:04 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]* I like the standard set progression of boards. Girders, Elevators and Rivets on each level (and Kong does take a dive after the rivet screen). Unlike the messed up Colecovision version, you keep going through these boards the same way each level.[/QUOTE]

The messed up game progression came from the American version of the arcade game, actually. I don't know who did the conversions to the various platforms, but I assume the old non-linear ports were made by American companies who based their port on the version they had available in their arcades.

Steerforth

Donkey Kong/GBA

Postby Steerforth » September 26th, 2007, 7:50 pm

Nice review Alien, I play a little DK on Animal Crossing. Not a huge fan, but I like DK alright.

Question for you....ever play the Mario vs DK games on GBA, the 2nd one was on DS?

I have played the GBA one, and it is a pretty sweet game. Very, very oldschool, but Mario has some new moves, (no run button, it is a DK arcade style). Every level is a puzzle, you have to find a key and deliver it to a keyhole. I think you might like this quite a little bit.

Have not played the DS one, but I know it is completely stylus driven, which is strike one in your book! But I think you guide little Mario Toys around with the stylus, maybe a 2-d pikmin vibe? I should pick that game up.

Ever notice how we think we go through gaming "droughts" and yet there is probably a dozen titles you wanted to play and forgot aout that are only a couple years old? Maybe it is just me, but I do that a LOT.

Alienblue

Donkey Kong/GBA

Postby Alienblue » September 27th, 2007, 3:49 am

Steerforth- yes, I have played all the Mario vs Kong games, the DS version is da bees knees, play it!

BTW I am aware that in Japan the coin op had girders, belts, elevators, rivets on every level, while american went GRGERGBER
GBGER...(where B is "belts", conveyer) but the coleco did not even stick to THAT....it went Girder,rivets,elevetors,rivets, girders...! All messed up! The level progression made no sense.

Coleco did redeem themselves with the fantastic ADAM compter dattasette game, though-arcade perfect!

Zenzerotron

Donkey Kong/GBA

Postby Zenzerotron » October 11th, 2007, 1:56 pm

Alienblue........my 2 cents on Donkey Kong.

1. I wish there was a version with the missing screen simply because I've never seen it, most gamers probly haven't. I believe you that this screen isn't very fun, but still, after all these years, just to SEE the freaking thing would be nice. It's a curiosity thing.

2. I honestly think that the first screen is the most fun, by a very wide margin. Sometimes I have the perverse thought of wishing that *somehow* you could just play the first screen over and over, with every other screen omitted.

I've always had mixed feelings about Donkey Kong, simply because I love the first screen, but feel *blah* about the others.

m0zart1

Donkey Kong/GBA

Postby m0zart1 » October 11th, 2007, 2:15 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]Alienblue1. I wish there was a version with the missing screen simply because I've never seen it, most gamers probly haven't. I believe you that this screen isn't very fun, but still, after all these years, just to SEE the freaking thing would be nice. It's a curiosity thing.[/QUOTE]

You've never played the arcade version?

Personally, I love that stage.  I don't think Donkey Kong is complete without it.

Zenzerotron

Donkey Kong/GBA

Postby Zenzerotron » October 11th, 2007, 3:18 pm

Nope, never played the arcade version. I own the E-Reader, Atari 2600, and NES versions.

I just don't understand why the NES version is missing that screen. It's not a matter of the NES not having the techincal horsepower to include it.

m0zart1

Donkey Kong/GBA

Postby m0zart1 » October 11th, 2007, 3:26 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]Nope, never played the arcade version. I own the E-Reader, Atari 2600, and NES versions.

I just don't understand why the NES version is missing that screen. It's not a matter of the NES not having the techincal horsepower to include it.[/QUOTE]

Completely agreed!  Especially since Donkey Kong Jr. contains the extra screen.

I always felt that port was a rush job.  I never was very happy with it.

Alienblue

Donkey Kong/GBA

Postby Alienblue » October 12th, 2007, 4:36 am

Zen...The conveyer belt is in most computer versions- the Atari XE cart, C=>64, etc...surely you can find an emulator or MAME.

To explain the screen....not counting pauline there are just four levels. 1,2 and 3 are conveyers that move alternately left and right. The middle one is broken up by an oil can and electric fence. Fireballs jump out of here, as in the first level. Mario must simply climb the ladders and jump the pans of cement (or grab a hammer on the first conveyer)-if he hits the side of the screen or oil can he dies, but it is VERY easy to get to the highest conveyer. Here is the only tricky part. Between the top conveyer and the level KONG is on are two ladders that extend and contract; you can't climb them unless they are extended. But once you hit KONG's level, he grabs the girl and-th-th-th thats all Folks! As I said, it's very quick and easy. It's almost like a little playable intermissions screen! No big deal. But I understand, I was ecstactic when I first made it there in the arcades just to SEE it. But it really does not have the play value of the other 3 boards. If one board HAD to go, this should be it-and it was!

chrisbid1

Donkey Kong/GBA

Postby chrisbid1 » October 12th, 2007, 7:26 am

speaking of donkey kong, go see the movie King of Kong: Fistfull of Quarters if it opens in your town. excellent, entertaining documentary, even my casual gamer wife enjoyed it.

Return to “Reader Reviews”